Aftermarket Power Locks

MaxChlan

Has anyone had success with installing aftermarket door actuators on their 720? I have been wondering about this because while it isn't a big reach to unlock the passenger side to unlock it, it would be nice at the store to not have to take the key out of my pocket to unlock the doors. My main concern would be clearance. I know the ST's had power locks, but were the doors or door cards any different than the non-power lock doors? Would there be clearance issues? Does anyone have any pictures of what the doors look like without the cards in them? The wiring isn't too much of an issue for me, but of course there would have to be some drilling to install some gromets and a door boot. 

Edited by MaxChlan
  • Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 720 had power locks, certainly on the ST models. Only electric window doors were different. All 720 doors were the same on the outside and only the inner metal skin and cards were different for the electric windows. If the electric locks only came as a package on the electric window doors they should be able to fit roll up doors I would think. Get the wiring and switches to make it easy.

• Like 2
On 12/21/2018 at 11:24 PM, datzenmike said:

The 720 had power locks, certainly on the ST models. Only electric window doors were different. All 720 doors were the same on the outside and only the inner metal skin and cards were different for the electric windows. If the electric locks only came as a package on the electric window doors they should be able to fit roll up doors I would think. Get the wiring and switches to make it easy.

That makes sense. I just had the idea because I'd like to dabble in some wiring, there are a lot of kits out there, and I think it would really improve the functionality of the truck. My original idea was proximity sensors: Install power locks, wire the system up to an RFID receiver, carry an RFID chip in my pocket and there you go. I wouldn't go for the push-button start and all that shit; I still like turning a key to start it up ?

• Like 2

So what's your concern the actual door lock mechanism install?

Sounds like your not trying to add the factory setup but just a pair of aftermarket actuators..... 

Usually they just mount low inside the door and have a rod that is parallel to the the original lockrod and hooks on with a clamp..... very basic to install.....

If this is what your door looks like 

Screenshot-20181223-185050-e-Bay.jpg

I would install it straight down from push pull nob in that lower corner.... maybe a bracket to hold it in the lower opening.... those types of locks are the easiest to do... they have different size aftermarket actuators too, I believe.... so might be worth pulling the door card and see what you really have for space.. roll the window down when you do.....

Are you looking to install switches at all?

the question I have is if the rfid chip system will lock the doors when you walk away.... I can forsee problems if it doesnt .....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 6:01 PM, Crashtd420 said:

So what's your concern the actual door lock mechanism install?

Sounds like your not trying to add the factory setup but just a pair of aftermarket actuators..... 

Usually they just mount low inside the door and have a rod that is parallel to the the original lockrod and hooks on with a clamp..... very basic to install.....

If this is what your door looks like 

To answer your question, yeah I am just thinking about doing aftermarket door actuators. As I've done my research, I think it would be cool to do a Viper alarm install on my truck, mostly for fun and the functionality of being able to unlock my doors and start the truck remotely. The door actuators are cheap, and the videos I've watched make the install seem pretty straightforward. My only concern is getting the wires to the door, so that's why I asked what the ST doors looked like, and my question above. Adding a switch would be easy, but I'd rather not fuck up the door cards and it's just as easy to reach across and open it; it would probably be open anyway if I unlocked the doors with the fob anyway! 

Edited by MaxChlan

Cheap kits equal cheap Chinese components. You will be chasing gremlins through no fault of your own. If you like to dabble in wiring pull factory components from quality vehicles in a junkyard, at least the actuator parts. The remote part buy a kit but expect to have issues down the road. I have had tons of aftermarket shit come and go in the last 30years of ownership of m 720. The factory stuff lives on. Go for Toyota, Subaru or Chevy parts. Cheap and plentiful with lots of aftermarket support

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MaxChlan said:

Does anyone have a picture of the ST door jams, in particular how they got the wiring into the doors? Is it just a grommet and a boot like on most modern cars? 

There is an oval hole in the jamb that matches the oval hole in the ST doors.  Both holes are grommeted.  Holes are approximately 1" x 2".  I will try to get some pictures of the doors.  My 85 ST does not have power doors.

Here is one from my library.

DSC01862.jpg

• Like 1