Replace Z24 engine.

Blakely

Hello, I have a 1985 Nissan d720 4wd king cab pickup. My z24 engine works fine but yet has had a couple of blown head gaskets in the past. I would like to in the future change the z24 engine for something with a little more power, and of course something that will line up with the transmission. What type engine would give me a little more power and line up with my transmission. Appreciate any help and advice.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Check out Cryteck89 post before you start swapping.

So where is this thread about Cryteck89's swap? I've done many searches and nothing shows up on Ratsun, the internet, or even our user list. There is no such user on Ratsun or otherwise.

• Like 1

Sorry for the misspelling. This is the most comprehensive documentation of a ka swap I could find. He did this after I did mine and I would always cringe when someone says the ka is an easy bolt in swap. It takes some fortitude and Crytek89 documented the "easy drop in replacement" well. Maybe someone could pin this since this question gets asked so often? The only 720s I have seen on craigslist in my area are ka swaps that need to be completed.

• Like 1

There's a couple options for the 720 in terms of swap matching trans.

First and foremost, I do believe it needs to be a 5-speed manual transmission.

The KA24E from the D21 Pickup

The KA24DE from the D22 Navara/Frontier

Oil pan modification:
KA24E/KA24DE from Nissan 240sx (S13) 1989-1991 (OBD1)

• Like 1

If going into a 720 you would be better off with a truck oil pan. The car is front sump with clearance in the back for the steering. Trucks are more center or rear sump because there has to be room in the front for the steering and the cross support.

240sx top and D21 bottom. The 240sx is also deeper to clear the crank girdle. <<<<< front this wayvSuRSCH.jpg

Cannot argue the value of having a 5 speed with the monster over drive with a KA. Certainly there is enough power and the mileage would be better. There was actually a 4 speed option for the '88 and '89 D21. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If going into a 720 you would be better off with a truck oil pan. The car is front sump with clearance in the back for the steering. Trucks are more center or rear sump because there has to be room in the front for the steering and the cross support.

Absolutely. If you can find a truck KA (E or DE) you'll have a much easier time accomplishing this swap as you won't need to modify the oil pan or oil pickup. (I did, it sucked, trust me).

• Like 2

Good to see you back Crytek89. If you have a 4x4 you will have to modify the oilpan to clear the front diff. I did this by combining the naps z and ka pan. Also the ka trans belhousing is about 5 degrees different from the naps z trans. This caused my trans to be kicked over to the passenger side, I trimmed the tunnel where the shifter was hitting and the trans mount flexes enough to let this ride. When I bought Redeyes mounts he was not sure if they would work in a 720. They work real well but could be improved to make the 720 trans stand up straight. I am not complaining redeye they saved me hours of work. Crytek89 modified his own so the difference in bellhousings was accounted for. These are small hurdles. I know the ka trans for the 240sx is super long, I have no idea on the length of the ka truck trans is. The 4 wheel drive ones are married to the transfer case so it would have to be a 2wd trans. 

• Like 1