521 Wiring

Kolbyf521

I am new to this forum but I had recently purchased a 1969 Datsun 521 with the short bed. The trucks wiring is pretty much bad cause the truck was sitting for bout 20 years so there's rust and everything so is there any chance of all new wiring or am I forced to reuse what is in the truck?

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the wiring is really bad, I would strongly suggest you leave the stock wiring in place, and deal with problems as they come up.

You change to an aftermarket wiring harness, you have a custom truck wiring, and you will be on your own should any future problems come up.  With stock wiring, other 521 owners will be able to tell you " had that problem, this is want caused it, and how I fixed it."

What problems are you having, be specific.

• Like 1

I will get pictures of my harness and I'll post them to see they I do need to replace it or if I can keep it. It's just things like my fuse box is corroded where everything connects, when I got the truck I was told it would need wiring and I have wires like for my taillights that are all bunched up and there are some that aren't connected to anything

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kolbyf521 said:

I will get pictures of my harness and I'll post them to see they I do need to replace it or if I can keep it. It's just things like my fuse box is corroded where everything connects, when I got the truck I was told it would need wiring and I have wires like for my taillights that are all bunched up and there are some that aren't connected to anything

That sounds like all of the datsuns when we first get them...... 

The fuse block is an easy fix, you can upgrade just that....  

Something like the rear tail light wiring... you can cut that back and just redo the ends..... 

• Like 1

I had trouble with my tail lights back in the 80s. Only much later I found someone had grafted trailer lights into the harness, removed them and just taped up the cut wires. Water and salt had dissolved the wires into green sludge. I had to cut a section out and replace it.

• Like 1

This page, https://ratsun.net/topic/49698-my-dragon-datsun-521/?page=4

shows a modern blade type fuse box replacement I did on one of my 521 trucks.  About half way down.

521 USA trucks used a relay logic system for emission control.  This involved switches on the carburetor, transmission, and firewall to control if a second set of points was used to retard the timing in third gear, sometimes.  Replace the carb, transmission or the distributor, and that system no longer works.  That alone can account for extra wires.

• Like 1
On 7/26/2018 at 10:52 AM, DanielC said:

521 USA trucks used a relay logic system for emission control.  This involved switches on the carburetor, transmission, and firewall to control if a second set of points was used to retard the timing in third gear, sometimes.  Replace the carb, transmission or the distributor, and that system no longer works.  That alone can account for extra wires.

I ripped all of that shit out. What a bunch of crap that was. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, Kolbyf521 said:

How do I insert images?

You have to up load them to a picture hosting site.  Then copy and paste the link of the picture from the hosting site into your post.  I am using Post Image and I know some people use Imgur.  Do not use Photobucket as they are known to hold your pictures for ransom.

• Like 1

I bought one of their kits and think their products are spot on. I also paid the extra for the crimper and 2 removal tools.  Once my dumbass figured out how the crimper worked, wow, just like a factory crimp.

• Like 1

The crimper definately has a learning curve!  Their products "work like new" no pun intended.  They have been quick to fill my orders and ship.  I liked their old web site better.

Edited by Charlie69