my 1973 620

phatdave

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a flash light and look in the oil filler hole at the #1 valve lobes. At TDC the intake lobe should be at about 10 o'clock and the exhaust at about 2 o'clock. Now look for the timing notch on the pulley to be somewhere near the saw tooth timing mark plate, bolted to the chain cover. A 24mm socket and bar makes it easier to move the crank back and forth.

Once I found the V notch I got a file and made it bigger so it was easier to find. I also found it hard to see down in there so once it was on TDC, I marked the front pulley (so it wouldn't get mistaken for the real timing mark) at the very bottom, where it was easy to see from underneath. Now I get it roughly close and climb under and adjust the front mark straight down then look for the rear one at the saw tooth timing plate. This puts it within 5 degrees of TDC on the first try. Piece of cake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good score Dave. I found one in the 'yard' and Bleach helped me narrow down what year it was. This car was so trashed and stripped that I walked by it for weeks before I noticed it was a six cylinder! Anyway it was a pre '80 like yours and has :

1st....2nd....3rd...4th..5th

3.321 2.077 1.308 1 0.864

This has lower 1st gear than the '80-'83 one, which is better for a truck.

I need to replace the rubber carrier bearing mount. Where can I buy one?....and Datzenmike...I'm not making one out of conveyer belt :eek:

Aby help would be appreciated.

Also does anybody know if the dogleg and the 280z used the same throwout bearing?

Measure the dia of the input shaft. If it's the same it should work.