1983.5 4x4 - retirement truck

Madkaw

8 hours ago, frankendat said:

Cool. What do you mean by "air gaps"?

The evaporator is not fully supported which causes the fan housing to separate from the evap box - gaps . So you lose all that air pressure . Also flapper doors that don’t close all the way and weakens flow to the vents .

• Like 1
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes the early '83 4x4 had a 3.889 differential ratio before they went to 4.11 for the rest of the years. It shows 3.889 front and 4.11 rear.... thought it a miss print but... 3.889 01'83 to 06'83 I guess they found this a terrible ratio for a 4x4. The 4.11 is bad enough.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Yes the early '83 4x4 had a 3.889 differential ratio before they went to 4.11 for the rest of the years. It shows 3.889 front and 4.11 rear.... thought it a miss print but... 3.889 01'83 to 06'83 I guess they found this a terrible ratio for a 4x4. The 4.11 is bad enough.

Maybe bad for off -roading but I think good everywhere else . With a properly tuned z24 this truck scoots . Highway speed puts it right at optimum torque rpm’s . I don’t see much of a downside with this ratio . I know it’s very limited . Maybe someone that’s converted to a lower ratio will let theirs go 

• 2 weeks later...

I did find a 3.89 diff !! About as rare as they come . 
Finally doing the color sand and buff on the paint . I ordered a stripe kit off of eBay . I do really like the look but wish I could find the original aluminum trim molding . Then I could paint the trim to match the wheels perfectly .

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, butter fingers said:

how do you like the smaller tires ? in my younger days we would call them pizza cutters ! lol Butter Fingers 

Those are still slightly bigger than stock . I have 3.9 gears so I don’t want to bog it down with tall tires 

8 hours ago, NC85ST said:

That’s a great looking truck! Never a big fan of brown but the new paint looks fantastic on it.

Never thought I would own a brown vehicle - but the color works and the metallic is pretty 

13 hours ago, Madkaw said:

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

Love the roll bar, all it needs is one of those 80s light bars to tie it all together. 

4 hours ago, butter fingers said:

how do you like the smaller tires ? in my younger days we would call them pizza cutters ! lol Butter Fingers 

I think if anything a slightly more aggressive AT tread tire would do the trick. I personally like 80s vehicles to look as 80s/stock as possible. Which to me means stock wheel size, stockish tire size, stockish wheel back spacing (as close to flush with fenders as possible), and no tinted windows. Although i will say that the fact that I live in southern Arizona makes it tough not to give in to tinting the windows 😆

Edited by IZRL
21 hours ago, IZRL said:

Love the roll bar, all it needs is one of those 80s light bars to tie it all together. 

I think if anything a slightly more aggressive AT tread tire would do the trick. I personally like 80s vehicles to look as 80s/stock as possible. Which to me means stock wheel size, stockish tire size, stockish wheel back spacing (as close to flush with fenders as possible), and no tinted windows. Although i will say that the fact that I live in southern Arizona makes it tough not to give in to tinting the windows 😆

I have lights just haven’t around to mounting them . 

• Like 1

I have wanted to upgrade my cheesy air filter set up . Since I’m using a 200sx intake on my z24 I decided to look at the 200sx ducting and airbox . Found NOS air box for 50$ and the ducting for 25$( cost 85$ to ship from Japan though) . Still beats combing junk yards for 40 year old parts . 
This should fit in the same way basically as in the 200sx - in the corner . I’ll have to sort out outside air entry . But damn - brand new air box for 50$ that actually will fit !! 

Also ordered a simple air valve to use for idle control for the AC . Basically it will open up when voltage is sent to the compressor . I’ve been manually raising the idle for summer driving but this will be much slicker . It takes a lot of idle when the compressor is engaged and the fan is on high and the stereo is blasting . I have to set the idle at about 1000 rpm static too handle all the accessories when they are on . That drops the idle to 650 , but that’s a bit of a struggle . I let you guys know how that works 

IMG_5495.thumb.jpeg.2dab288cadb33041425310832bcb52c7.jpeg

IMG_8620.png

IMG_8619.png

• Like 1
On 6/20/2024 at 4:52 AM, Madkaw said:

I did find a 3.89 diff !! About as rare as they come . 

Not used on any automatic, 4x4, cab chassis, mileage option Z20 or Z24

but on most 2wd 4 and 5 speeds. 

'80.......... king cab

81-'82.... diesel and Z22 engine king cabs and long beds.

'83-........ diesel

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Not used on any automatic, 4x4, cab chassis, mileage option Z20 or Z24

but on most 2wd 4 and 5 speeds. 

'80.......... king cab

81-'82.... diesel and Z22 engine king cabs and long beds.

'83-........ diesel

1983.1-1983.6  there was a 3.90 option 

Posted (edited)

Well I decided to change the oil pan gasket the hard way - so now I’m putting my truck back together . Been looking in the FSM regarding the upper control arm -link nuts(nuts on the end of the link) . Pretty sure the truck should be sitting in the ground when torquing down . 
I didn’t take these loose for the oil pan but noticed a boot ripped on the upper ball joint and will be replacing . 

IMG_8643.jpeg

Edited by Madkaw
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Power steering adjustment - I think I’ve run out . I have some slop in the steering wheel . Most of - if not all suspension components have been replaced - upgraded . Did find some play in the Moog pitman arm - I replaced it but that didn’t affect the slop . 
if I try to turn in the adjuster on top of the steering box it just stops - like there’s no adjustment left . This was a rebuilt unit I put on not too many years ago - but maybe that’s what got get ? 
Any ideas before I order and 400$ steering box ? 
And are the power units all the same 2wd -4WD 1982-1986

Edited by Madkaw
Posted (edited)

Shake shimmy and roll down the highway . Starting around 55 -60 and not as noticeable if you get above 75? 
New tires on new wheels been double checked . Can’t feel anything in the steering wheel . Put it on a lift and put it in gear and the rear wheels had some wobble to them . Owner of the shop says bent axle ?

Dial indicator does show passenger flange on axle about .010 out of flat . Dial indicator also shows .035 of end play with the axles . FSM says that’s too much when checking both wheels ? 
So I would remove shims to tighten end play?

It could also be a bearing I guess . Waiting for all the parts before I dig in 

IMG_8878.jpeg

Edited by Madkaw

Very cool truck, @Madkaw. You have put some time into that ol' girl. I have an 83.5 2WD King Cab in metallic brown that I have been working on since June. Mechanicals are getting close and I am currently refreshing the interior. Not sure what I am going to do to the exterior. I guess I should address the rust. I'll have to go back and look through your thread to see how you fixed the spot welds above the rear wheel wells on the bed. Yours looks great with that clean metallic brown paint. Nice work!

Ken

Edited by iflyfisher
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, iflyfisher said:

Very cool truck, @Madkaw. You have put some time into that ol' girl. I have an 83.5 2WD King Cab in metallic brown that I have been working on since June. Mechanicals are getting close and I am currently refreshing the interior. Not sure what I am going to do to the exterior. I guess I should address the rust. I'll have to go back and look through your thread to see how you fixed the spot welds above the rear wheel wells on the bed. Yours looks great with that clean metallic brown paint. Nice work!

Ken

Thanks - I think might be back in fashion - lol

Had both Datsuns in  the shop yesterday to swap diffs . Fortunately I know the shop owner and he let me help . I didn’t want to do this job crawling on the floor . The diff in my Z had a whine to it even after replacing bearings . The truck and car are same ratio  so I swapped out the 3.9’s . So happy the truck diff( they were both truck diffs) ran quiet . Now the only loud thing on the Z is the exhaust and stereo . 

Waiting on a rebuilt steering box to replace the rebuilt one in the truck now . Glad I bought a lifetime warranty . 

IMG_8939.jpeg

• Like 1