64' Datsun 320 Field Find

jacobbell69

the bed of the 320 is 56.2", hardbody edge to edge of tires is 63"(i went outside and found a truck in the parking lot) i think i can spare 3.5" or so on each side of the truck sticking out. the original 320 tires stick way into the fender anyways. it will likely barely stick out if it goes smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think you understand how much you are going to have to cut that little truck up to get the KA/transmission into it, this is a VG30 in a 320 with an automatic, the VG30 is much shorter than a KA, you can kiss the firewall goodbye.

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN1536.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

Here is the room between the front of the engine and the very thin radiator, did I mention the KA is loooonger.

DSCN1736.jpg

Here is a 521 on a D21 frame, the front wheels are sticking out.

20170525_182437_zpsxqtvdgei.jpg

It is 62" measured between the outside of the fenders, the 320 has 57 1/2 inches between the outside of the 2 front fenders, that is over 2 more inches of tire sticking out, and the guy with the 521 is talking about needing flares also, here is a link to his thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69946-521-on-d21-frame/

I am sorry, but unless you have done something like this in the past you do not want to go there, this is a major project that could take years to complete if done properly.

This is my 320 that I have lost interest in, it runs and drives but it is not finished, I dislike body work and it has been setting for almost a year now.

DSCN6762.jpg

• Like 1

the actual work involved is wayyy past my expertise. my dad would be the one doing the major work involved with shortening the frame etc. i will bring all this up to him and thanks a ton for the pics. will give good point of reference and may steer him away from that. did you do the extended cab extension yourself? that looks pretty damn cool!

• Like 1

Yes I did that but as mentioned it is not finished, not much has changed body wise since that photo, but it is not my first one, I also have made two other extended cabs, a Datsun 521 kingcab turbodiesel(first one) and what has been described as a 1966 Datsun 520 kingcab ute which took so long that I burnt out on that one for a few years also.

DSCN0077.JPG

DSCN5881.jpg

If you have a way of shortening a frame, then you have a way of narrowing the front clip of the D21 and grafting it on your 320 frame, that can be done in such a way that you can keep the frame VIN numbers on your frame yet have a modern front end with ball joints and front disc brakes, read this thread in the link below.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

This still doesn't address the engine issue, I still think either one of your J13 engines/transmissions would be the best choice, or an A series engine out of a B210/210/310 which I have done before myself.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Its not very easy swapping anything newer into the 320.  Whatever you do, keep all the metal you cut off it and put it aside for later, I did the same just in case I want to go back stock.

You will do whatever you choose, these guys here are knowledgeable.

There is not much room in the engine bay and it is extremely narrow.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

It's been a while since I updated, the 320 is now home!

3JWKRrJ.jpg

7ANbsIW.jpg

I admit, leaving it in my dad's swampy field was not a good idea. I can see the metal is more compromised than before. I have been researching and researching engine swaps. I am planning on selling the 2 520s I have, this will fund the build and I was never truly excited about the idea of using the J series anyways.

As far as the idea for the dually, I decided to dually my 620 instead. 

if anyone is interested.

I have a spare L20B, not much info on swapping L series into these trucks but a buddy on FB put one in his 66' 520 so it seems doable. I am going to make sure the engine is good and start test fitting and locating someone who can chop the engine mounts off a 620 for me so I can weld them onto my frame. I'm on the lookout for a 5 speed trans as well. I'm aware I likely won't have heat, but this swap seems the best bang for my buck. Without investing several years into the truck.

I hear the 320 h190 is not the same spline as later trucks, is that correct? Was thinking of getting a center chunk out of a d21, as my buddy says his l20b in his 520 doesn't do much more than 50mph. I believe his 66' has same gear ratio as my 320 IIRC.

I also scored a used grille in far better condition than mine, as well as a blue tailgate that isn't rotted away like mine(no pics at the moment). Just need to paint it. Now to get my d21 finished and out of my garage I will pull the 320 in the garage and finally get started on it. I also now have a full set of Xterra SC rims that I am going to use, I love em! I'll be using much smaller tires of course.

FkSMsvg.jpg

Fho35xX.jpg

Edited by jacobbell69
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Well last year I finally decided what I wanted to do with this little truck since I got my new garage built. Pulled the cab and dropped it on an 02 Supercharged Nissan Xterra frame! Over the weekend I done the first test drive and went to a car show. Everything went well! She's fast! It's done obviously but I can finally drive it and that's a huge accomplishment for me.

Here's my YouTube link if anyone wants to watch the build: https://www.youtube.com/@BrokenArrowGarage

3Ni9nmQ.jpg

foVJtNP.jpg

B4LG9AG.jpg

3nUBck4.jpg

iPAf2PT.jpg

FF0E4fP.jpg

Edited by jacobbell69
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Different is, um, good.

I'm sure jacked up trucks isn't everyone's cup of tea. I already have a lowered 620, figured I'd go with lifted this time around. Never liked the idea of spending money locating a 50+ year old engine to throw in it just to end up with less than 100hp. Plus with this set up I have all the benefits of the newer vehicle like the suspension and brakes without having the fab something up. Once I found the supercharged Xterra for $550 it was really a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

I was kinda shocked to see an IFS frame stuffed underneath it, that's all. Trucks is my business, which means I do love big tires, but I'm old school and solid axles are more my cup-o-tea.

I have a pair of 50 year old (55 actually) Jeepster Commando axles that would look great under a 320. They are very narrow and would fit the era of the truck. The brakes on them suck, but easy to upgrade.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was kinda shocked to see an IFS frame stuffed underneath it, that's all. Trucks is my business, which means I do love big tires, but I'm old school and solid axles are more my cup-o-tea.

I have a pair of 50 year old (55 actually) Jeepster Commando axles that would look great under a 320. They are very narrow and would fit the era of the truck. The brakes on them suck, but easy to upgrade.

i have had a couple dozen first gen frontier/xterra's so im very familiar with them which is why i thought it would be the perfect swap for me. i do admit of course i wish it had a solid axle! there's plenty of first gen xterras that have swapped in a solid axle. maybe something i do down the line if i really want to take it heavy off roading.

• Like 1