gunsmith

looking for replacement Rag Joint

Hey,

Does anyone know of a source where I can get a replacement Rag joint for the steering in my 1984 720 4x4?  I'm having trouble locating one or if someone knows a alternative part number(s) or year(s) that are compatible would be great!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Wrecking yard. Nissan dealer.... but even if they do have one they will rape you for it.

I made one once from a piece of 3/8" conveyor belt with nylon cords. Tire side wall if not steel belted.

• Like 2

Discontinued part from Nissan.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-cplg-steer-col~48071-19w00.html

If there is enough of the original to check thickness, there are universal rag joints available on Summit and such.

Otherwise, Mike's suggestion of conveyor material is a good source for a similar material and just adjust to fit if the thickness is off.

• Like 2

Not sure if the ‘84 4x4’s is the same as the ‘84 2 wheel drive ( maybe someone else can confirm ) but for the 2 wheel drive, Autozone had the Help brand 3-3/16” Diameter one that fit perfectly. The Autozone part number is 31000 and had an alternate part number of 705-060-S. This was a couple of years ago when I replaced mine so not sure if it is available anymore either, but might help with the searching.

I had a mixture of parts. A 720 steering column and a 280zx power steering box. The circle diameter for the bolt holes was different it would fit one but not the other. Used a glass tumbler and traced a circle on nylon cord conveyor belt, although square would work also. Marked the holes and drilled them and the holes close up. Those metal sleeves were a tight fit but necessary to prevent wear. I checked them every few months but no changes. 

• Like 2

Thank you!

Looks like the part is still available at autozone, going pick on up and see if it'll work!

• Like 2

Ok, got the rebuild kit from Autozone.  part number 31000 alt number 705-060-S worked GREAT!.  Thank you!!!

• Like 4

I just used this one to do mine, and WOW!!! It solved all my steering issues. Granted, I had already replaced the idler arm, but it fixed the slop, the wandering, and the ejection from bumps.

• Like 1