gunsmith

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Discontinued part from Nissan.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-cplg-steer-col~48071-19w00.html

If there is enough of the original to check thickness, there are universal rag joints available on Summit and such.

Otherwise, Mike's suggestion of conveyor material is a good source for a similar material and just adjust to fit if the thickness is off.

• Like 2

Not sure if the ‘84 4x4’s is the same as the ‘84 2 wheel drive ( maybe someone else can confirm ) but for the 2 wheel drive, Autozone had the Help brand 3-3/16” Diameter one that fit perfectly. The Autozone part number is 31000 and had an alternate part number of 705-060-S. This was a couple of years ago when I replaced mine so not sure if it is available anymore either, but might help with the searching.

I had a mixture of parts. A 720 steering column and a 280zx power steering box. The circle diameter for the bolt holes was different it would fit one but not the other. Used a glass tumbler and traced a circle on nylon cord conveyor belt, although square would work also. Marked the holes and drilled them and the holes close up. Those metal sleeves were a tight fit but necessary to prevent wear. I checked them every few months but no changes. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Have no idea what that number is for. I can probably get the Nissan part number then go back to your supplier and have them cross reference it.

What year 720? Build date on the door jam.

Power steering or not?

Tilt steering?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Have no idea what that number is for. I can probably get the Nissan part number then go back to your supplier and have them cross reference it.

What year 720? Build date on the door jam.

Power steering or not?

Tilt steering?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=617046&jsn=2045

power steering yeah

yes tilt

i just found a couple more on rock auto.

dont know why i didnt see them before. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=31000

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

48071-19W05. This the the one with a spline and pinch bolt on both sides. Looks like around $75 at the dealer. I can't find just the rubber rag joint by itself.

doesnt seem to link up with anything relevent on rockauto and nissan parts deal says it doesnt fit my truck. 😕

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Doomedwalker said:

doesnt seem to link up with anything relevent on rockauto and nissan parts deal says it doesnt fit my truck. 😕

looks like the coupler has been replaced in the past there is a rubber disk bolted in there if this isnt suitable i have a old tire from a nissan sentra i can cut up.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Doomedwalker said:

Parts dealerships can be as helpful as they want to be and lately they are as lazy as they can be. Recently I supplied accurate part numbers and they just say there is no such part. I had a Nissan parts counter guy years ago before they moved to a newer building, spent over an hour searching for a $3 part that I knew would fit my 620. Cross referenced it, found it and ordered it. It was like being a detective with him.

48071-19W05 is the joint for a Jan '83 and up power steering tilt steering column. It was not used on any other truck or car.

I used a piece of 3/8 conveyor belt.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Parts dealerships can be as helpful as they want to be and lately they are as lazy as they can be. Recently I supplied accurate part numbers and they just say there is no such part. I had a Nissan parts counter guy years ago before they moved to a newer building, spent over an hour searching for a $3 part that I knew would fit my 620. Cross referenced it, found it and ordered it. It was like being a detective with him.

48071-19W05 is the joint for a Jan '83 and up power steering tilt steering column. It was not used on any other truck or car.

I used a piece of 3/8 conveyor belt.

yeah i have similar issues here. ill figure out something. or rip one out of a 85 720  or a 84 720 4x4

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Yes that is what it is and how it works. No, they do not fail, been on vehicles for at least 70 years. If you look at the later 720s if you were to remove just the rubber the steering would still work but would be very sloppy.

I made one out of a piece of 3.8" rubber conveyor belt.

• Like 2

Okay this is done. +1 on Dorman part # 31000.  I got mine at O'Reilly.  Note that O'Reilly's part system said to use 31002 but based on this thread I went with 31000.  It required just the slightest bit of stretch to make it work and the kit comes with one thick pin and one thin pin (no idea why).  Used a grinder and drill press to get the old rivets out.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 8/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, datzenmike said:

Yes that is what it is and how it works. No, they do not fail, been on vehicles for at least 70 years. If you look at the later 720s if you were to remove just the rubber the steering would still work but would be very sloppy.

I made one out of a piece of 3.8" rubber conveyor belt.

I know this thread is old but I just wanna highlight these things do fail.   It happened in my 82 when it only has 190k miles on it.   The joint ripped and I lost all steering