Exhaust Ticket

My nephew just got a ticket in his BMW for too loud of an exhaust! $180 ticket:eek: The law states (as per 2006) your autos exhaust can not be louder than stock. Sounds to me like a easy way to make some $ for the police. Exhaust shops r gonna go out of business:fu: Datsun owners r fucked cuz stock Datto exhaust r mitey quiet:blink:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do they know exactly how it sounded when stock? Plenty of states have noise caps, usually being 95db or 98db if I remember right. And as far as our old Datsuns go, I think we're in the clear. For one, I don't think anybody out there knows how loud a stock one is (was) and if it's registered as a historic or classic, I believe they really can't fault you for anything noise-wise

I doubt he was idling at a stop light when the cop drove up. Ask him if he was driftin' or doing a burn out. It's the cops was of saying calm down with out a street racing/dangerous driving ticket.

He wasnt sitting @ a stoplite but he also was not drifting or driving dangerously. He was coming on to the freeway and accelerating to hiway speed.

A guy I know works at Walts auto and I guess a sherrif deputy came in and said they could not install loud exhaust. He then asked the cop to listen to his durango and tell him if it was legal. It has a big flowmaster and is quit throaty and loud. The cop said that was fine. It is the fart can over piped hondarati boys they want eliminated.

Scotts beamer kinda fits the profile and didnt he work at an exhaust shop? I dont remember it being that loud but you said he upgraded the motor right?

As far as who can say what stock noise level is...well the police are allowed a certain level of a personal judgement factor. Cmon,my 521 is pretty quiet but definitely louder than stock. Probably only get a ticket at 6k rpm.

It sucks how they get away with this! Theres NO db cap in the state of Washington yet they can just say its too loud. People wonder why we don't have respect for cops. peace.

No,they can't.This is something i forgot in my earlier post.In order for an exhaust to be "too loud",there must be a threshold.In other owrds a certain DB level must be deemed as too loud.And THEN,the cop must take a reading with a "DB meter".

Take it to court and ask the cop to PROVE it was too loud.No DB reading-no proof.

Cop was just being a DICK. I have had some VERY loud exhausts in my previous datsuns... cops don't even look... except in ROY :fu: He saw the car, saw the guy driving, thought "must be a punk" and decided to give him a bullshit ticket just to eF with him. Did you look up the RCW on the dol.wa.gov website? May not be there but they are on the net, state patrol probably.

Take it to court and ask the cop to PROVE it was too loud.No DB reading-no proof.

exactly!

i want the meter reading from the citation date as well as the stock dB level for the vehicle in question, side by side

also makes a differance for comparison if the reading is at idle, 2000rpm or 6000 rpm...all will be different.

i used to get loud exhaust tickets all the time (used to be free, now theyre $10) from a cop in the cyn.

goto the donut shop at the bottom of cyn and get it signed off(justice is deaf too :rollseyes: )

my record is 4 in 1 sunday afternoon :fu:

No,they can't.This is something i forgot in my earlier post.In order for an exhaust to be "too loud",there must be a threshold.In other owrds a certain DB level must be deemed as too loud.And THEN,the cop must take a reading with a "DB meter".

You guys dont live here and havent done exactly what your reffering too. Others of us have, and they just tell you to pay the fine. Sorry but the great state of washington doesnt work that with cops. peace.

yeh, I was pulled over one time in Milpitas, CA for having a loud exhaust on my Datsun 510 and luckily, the cop received a distressed call over the radio and let me go. He was actually in the process of asking me to pop my hood. Heavens for bid, no smog pump!