L20b u67 head

8m0untainman8

I always pressure wash the motor the previous day if possible to to see everything. Yes It might be harder to get front cover off if oil pan still attached. needs to drop slightly

Also if a cork gasket it might rip the oil pan gasket but victor renz made a gaskt fornt cover kit that had a section on gasket just for this or you can splice one in or use a another oil pan gasket and cut the section in there but see if possible to get this done w/o ripping it otherwise they become leakers and take your time.

I think I lower the pan so ezer to install the front cover.  I would install head 1st then the front cover with the pan lowered then tighten everything up

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what  he said.

I would drop the pan completely and use either a new gasket or just "the right stuff" RTV to glue it back on. I know it adds to the job, but it's not impossible to get the pan out with the engine in the car/truck. You may find it easier to drop the crossmember and one side of the steering tie rod.

And to add to what Hainz said, torque the head AFTER you install the front cover.

• Like 1

Yes it does.

There are two dowels in the timing cover so it has to come forward 1/8" before it will wiggle.

If this was off before it may have been 'glued' on with RTV by a previous owner. This is so unnecessary and only a very poor mechanic (or GM owner) uses that shit. Let the gasket do it's job. The engine was put together dry without it, so why would you? Helped pull a six cylinder head off a '62 chev. Gasket had been smeared with 'gasket shellac' which was normal in the 40s and 50s.. It's pretty much one way and on forever. Used 2x4s to pry it off. What a fucking mess..

Yes, L series front covers should never get RTV (unless it is badly damaged by porosity).

Oil pans are another matter. I've stopped using gaskets on oil pans in favor of the right stuff brand RTV.

Will the head gasket pop after this is all done? Don't know, but it's possible. Did you already torque the head?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got through the timing chain cover and am putting everything back together. Lol. MastersLow.

I am missing bolts for my thermostat housing, one in the side of it broke, and the longer mounting bolt also broke. Im looking around the shop for bolts, but no garuntees yet.

Also is it normal to have to stack washers on the fuel pump bolts to tighten it?

Make sure the front mounting bolt on the thermostat housing is not too long or it hits the timing chain inside.

Washers are not needed for the fuel pump. There is a plastic spacer that probably missing.  Don't  run without the spacer as the pump arm will be in too deep.

PUMP / GASKET / SPACER / GASKET / HEAD

You could drill them out to an oversize and tap in any handy thread. Don't do this... as I found on my L20B...

Kt7ehoZ.jpg

The long bolt was broken but held on with corrosion. Had to cut everything to get it off and replace. I used anti sieze on the threads and the shaft to keep corrosion away.

UTbTgm3.jpg

Damn. I took thermostat back off and cleaned out the hole, and found a bolt that grabbed hard enough to lock in afterwards. I now require an allen wrench for thermostat because of new bolt. Lol Its an allan bolt from a bike headset.

Once i get a ride to the store to get the fuel pump seal, i can finish up finally!

I might replace the entire oil pan gasket for the hell of it too though.