A-series fuel mileage record holder?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, one of the best ways to improve aerodynamics is to LOWER IT! Please, make it really, really low...that would be awesome.
Absolutely right. I will lower the B210 about 2" this week. When the project continues onto the B310 chassis, I'll look into really dropping it and putting a belly pan on it to boot. :D

I will not get THIS crazy, but the sky's the limit if you've got the time and the talent.

Remember, one of the best ways to improve aerodynamics is to LOWER IT! Please, make it really, really low...that would be awesome.

x2

Thats my reason for lowering all my cars :lol:

Guest jaimesix
Don't worry Jamie, the twin carbed 1608 is sealed in a clear plastic bag on an engine stand and will go back in as soon as I feel I've maxed out the current combination and can't get any better mpg's because of aerodynamics.

Then I'll transplant the mpg engine, trans, and diff combination into my '81 B310 2-door sedan [which has been sitting in dry storage for 10 years now] and try to take it even further. Then I can go wild and get into areodynamics and such.

Mike

Cool!!!!

Sounds like a plan!:)

Jaime._____________________________________________________

• 3 months later...

Update:

The Economy Run III event is in just two weeks. This will be a 104 mile run on the same mountainous course as last year. I am working on the B210 to get it ready. I'm aiming higher than 61 mpg this year. I bought two 4'x8' sheets of 4 mil thick coroplast [plastic sign making material] and will start building a smooth belly pan to reduce aero drag under the car. Also for aerodynamic purposes, my windows will be up all the way no matter how hot it is on August 23rd.

I've been reading Ecomodder.com threads regarding going alterntor-less. I bought a deep cycle marine battery and fitted a shorter belt to connect the crank damper to the water pump. [i also got a single groove crank pulley to replace my old heavy three groove A/C pulley].

DSC05374-1.jpg

To help reduce the electrical load I've disconnected the electric choke thermostat [which is a constant electrical draw] and will simply adjust the choke to full open all the time. Other than signals and brake lights, the only electrical draw left is the ignition system. I tested the car without the alternator and drove over 104 miles without losing enough voltage for the ignition to quit. In fact I still had plenty of reserve voltage left. I tested the battery surface voltage at the start of the trip and it was 12.7 volts. I stopped at the half way point of the run and it was 12.4 volts. When I finished the battery was still at 12.2 volts.

DSC05375-1.jpg

Above are the standard spark plugs I just removed from my B210 engine next to the special 1979 four electrode "mpg" model spark plugs that are going in. Looks like I will gain some extra compression [every bit is welcome!] as the extended tip extends deeper into the chamber. The electrode is also of the "side gap" variety and has a slightly larger .051" air gap than the standard plug's .044". [A bigger gap requires a hotter spark and can burn a leaner mixture].

I reinstalled my wide band 02 sensor setup to see if I could lean the carb a bit more with the new plugs. It's a good thing I did. The engine was running richer in today's hot 85 degree air [as opposed to the cool October air I jetted for last year]. I had the air/fuel ratio set for 14.7 to 1 - 15 to 1 back then, but today it was 13.8 to 1 - 14.4 to 1. Fuel injected cars don't have to worry about stuff like this because their ecu adjusts the mixture constantly, but us carby guys have to keep checking and adjusting as the seasons change to stay spot on.

This is all in addition to the other mods I've done since last year like, taller final drive gears, narrower tires, moon disc wheel cover caps, lowered suspension, and all synthetic fluids throughout.

Mike

Edited by blownb310
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who follow this thread I have some great news for you. Last October 5th, 2008 I set what I consider to be the highest mpg ever recorded for an A-series Datsun engine at the A.M.E.C. Economy Run II event. That number was 61.5 mpg [uS gallons].

Here are the addditional mods I've completed for this year's event.

DSC05390-1.jpg

I decided to take the front brakes apart and clean them. I lubed the slides and found an NOS hardware kit in my basement. I took advantage of the kit's extra parts to add a second spring between the pads to help them release more completely. Normally there is only a single spring on only one of the pins.

DSC05394-1.jpg

I mounted the home made chin spoiler and taped the edges. Then I mounted the "economy" wheel/tire package. Afterwards I put it up on blocks [yes I know cement blocks aren't safe - don't try this at home - lol] to gain access to the entire undercarriage. Then I began to fabricate the forward belly pan section.

DSC05395-1.jpg

The main portion of the belly pan is now complete. Lot's of time and energy went into it, but the result is quite nice. The header collector hangs down lower than anything else under the car. I knew this going in, so I had to decide whether to work around it and allow the exhaust system to be exposed, or lower the entire belly pan and close it in completely. I measured the height of the bottom of the chin spoiler to the floor and it was the same as the height of the header. So I decided to enclose the exhaust system in and have a perfectly flat belly pan front to back.

DSC05397-1.jpg

I used aluminum tubing to space the pan to clear the header and pipe. I did not drill any holes in the car at all. I pressed plastic anchor bushings into pre-existing holes in the bottom of the frame rails. I used thin aluminum sheets [cut from food catering trays] as a heat sheild under the exhaust system. Not pretty but it should work fine and you won't be able to see it when this the side skirts are installed.

DSC05413-1.jpg

The rear of the pan slipped nicely under the rear valance panel. Again, there were no holes drilled in the car at all for this project. That's why it took a bit more time to do. I had to get creative to preserve the integrity of the car.

DSC05422-1.jpg

The finished product with wheel skirts as well.

IMG_2740.jpg

Clear plexi glass headlamp covers and partial grill blocks installed. Side mirrors and wipers were removed for this event.

With all of the further modifications seen above, I competed in August 23rd A.M.E.C. Economy Run III event. I completed the 104 mile course through the hilly southern Adirondack mountains and the post event refill showed that my fuel consumption was 1.35 US gallons of gasoline.

DSC_0425.jpg

This equates to a new record of 77.04 [uS] mpg !

Mike

Since you were allowed to remove the wipers and mirrors. Would you have been allowed to remove bumpers, side and rear glass with plexi for weight savings? Interior stuff, like radio, rear and passenger seats, door panels, head liner? I can see where you could get extreme and drop another couple hundred pounds if you wanted. The latest mods with aero netted about a 20% gain! Were you allowed to tape body, door, hood, trunk seams? I wonder how much better aero the 210 fastback is compared to the sedan you used, the extra glass would likely add weight to offset any gain. I remember helping a friend with removing front end weight for a drag car back in the late 70's. He was drilling holes in sheet metal everywhere with a hole saw. Great job!

I would like to know what rpm you shifted at and did you clutch it on downhill's (take it out of gear)? What was your top speed and were you required to maintain posted speeds? Was there a time limit to complete the course? Was it closed to other traffic? If not were you allowed to draft other cars or competitors?

Wow Mike! Impressive! You are a man obssesed, and I think it is awesome. Take that Prius! (There are so many damn Prius's in eco crazy western MA. It is like we've been invaded!) What you have here is way cooler!

there's just no limit to how much gas you can save. congrats man. once again you have proven the great potential the b210's have.

i'm really diggin the look of those wheels. very different look to them. hmmm, maybe it's time to put some moon discs on my bee.

Since you were allowed to remove the wipers and mirrors. Would you have been allowed to remove bumpers, side and rear glass with plexi for weight savings? Interior stuff, like radio, rear and passenger seats, door panels, head liner?
Yes there aren't any rules limiting car modification. No one has brought a stripper yet. We're all driving complete street cars at this point.
Were you allowed to tape body, door, hood, trunk seams?
Sure and one guy did. he had to climb in through the window to keep the tape around his door intact. :P
I would like to know what rpm you shifted at and did you clutch it on downhill's (take it out of gear)? What was your top speed and were you required to maintain posted speeds? Was there a time limit to complete the course? Was it closed to other traffic? If not were you allowed to draft other cars or competitors?
Top rpm was 2,500, yes I coasted down every hill I could find, there was a 3 hour time limit for the 104 mile course. I finished in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Average speed was 46 mph. The road was not closed to regular traffic, but our route was in the middle of nowhere and there was very little other traffic. There were no other vehicles on the road that were going slow enough for us to draft off of. Most people go 60 or more and that's too fast for best mileage. :D
  • 2 weeks later...

77.4 mpg is very impressive not matter how you look at it ! Ive been doing some research myself for a while on hybrid tech and free energy , im sure youve heard hydrogen hybrids but maybe you would consider a HHO kit . HHO kits are cheap , reversable and claim to gain roughly about 40% increase in mpg. some have said to gain up to 60% . but imagine .... 90+mpg very possible .

77.04 mpg is very impressive not matter how you look at it ! Ive been doing some research myself for a while on hybrid tech and free energy , im sure youve heard hydrogen hybrids but maybe you would consider a HHO kit . HHO kits are cheap , reversable and claim to gain roughly about 40% increase in mpg. some have said to gain up to 60% . but imagine .... 90+mpg very possible .
Thanks Surge,

I've read about the HHO kits too. I'm afraid they're a lot of hype and don't do anything really. My friend had one on his Integra and swore [like many others] that it worked. Of course he had no tests of any kind to back up his claims. I tried to persuade him to participate in our economy run events. He never would. The reason hydrogen generators don't work as claimed is simply because every time you change one form of energy to another you lose a little energy in the process. So by the time you change the chemical energy [gas burned in the engine to turn the alternator], to electrical energy, which then generates the hydrogen gas, which then becomes chemical energy again, well, you're just losing a little more energy in every step.

If they worked as advertised, [or at all] they'd be standard equipment in new cars. While under such pressure to raise their C.A.F.E. standards every year, I don't think the auto industry would ignore a 40% fuel savings for their new cars.