85 720 Coolant

la_leo

So while I had access to it I decided to change the water hoses, thermostat, and radiator cap. As I figured there's a ton of rust in the system and the hoses are from 85. It appears that the coolant, or what's left of it, is greenish bluish. I plan on doing a chemical flush when I get everything running. What antifreeze do you guys recommend? I have always been a firm believer in using factory recommended antifreeze full strength but mixed 50/50. For my old Toyota I'd use the red Toyota antifreeze, my current 2011 ford motorcraft, etc etc. But what about this 720?

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One premium brand is as good as another.

Flush by removing the brass block plug. It's the hole just to the right of the right core plug pretty much behind the oil dip stick tube.z24_1_1.jpg

Appreciate it. I saw the plug. I'm going to run a chemical flush on it.
  • Like 1

So while I have the shroud and everything off I'm thinking about changing the water pump. There are several brands off of rock auto all simarly priced. It looks like the airtex and the beck Arnley have a bronze colored pulley compared to the painted steel ones on the others. Probably will get the airtex for 50 off amazon.

• Like 1

The last airtex water pump I bought, the fins were made a bit too big.

It rubbed on the inside of the housing. I had to grind them down to fit.

If you can find the AC Delco pump for a decent enough price, do that.

the ac delco has that painted steel pulley too. Hmm. It's 55
  • Like 1

2 of them (i think) are built in to the water pump. They won't come out of it and the new one will come with those bolts already in. Ratcheting box end wrench is your best friend there.

• Like 1

Yep I was just thinking that. I can't find my 10 mm ratchet box wrench! Should I pull the radiator out first? I removed the fan. But there are three hard lines RIGHT on top of the pump that are in the way. There's also some sort of metal plate that looks like it needs to come off.

• Like 1

AC should have the cast impeller. Hm.

EDIT: On RockAuto, they show a Beck Arnley pump with cast impeller.

I ordered the Cardone brand Part Number 5563712 for 53 dollars on Amazon (free ship.) It has a cast impeller. We have a local Fastenall here, I'll have to go there for the two long bolts that the water pump is secured by. The threads are "ate up" and one of the got bent from me taking it out. I'll run a tap through the threads on the block so I should be good to go!

• Like 1

Make sure you replace it with any that have a cast impeller. The stamped steel ones are cheap crap. Stick with the original otherwise.

Cheap piece of crap. Those stamped vanes don't seal well in the pump cavity and sharp edges cause cavitation.

720stuffclutchfanremovalLarge.jpg

You want this kind with the more efficient shaped impeller.

motorLwaterpump.jpg

Make sure you replace it with any that have a cast impeller. The stamped steel ones are cheap crap. Stick with the original otherwise.

Cheap piece of crap. Those stamped vanes don't seal well in the pump cavity and sharp edges cause cavitation.

720stuffclutchfanremovalLarge.jpg

You want this kind with the more efficient shaped impeller.

motorLwaterpump.jpg

yep that's what the cardone one looks like
  • Like 1

Sorry to ask here, are coolant fluids there differentiated by "organic" and "inorganic" like here..?

I would lime to know which one should i use in my L18 engine... i dont have any user book. It is currently filled with organic 50/50.

Thanks in advance..!

• Like 1