85 720 Coolant

la_leo

based on what I read before, the organic ones last longer and supposed to minimize rust, so maybe they either add or take out certain chemicals.  Nothing is wrong with regular fluids.  Just make sure the ratio is good for where you live.  Here in Bay Area, California 50/50 and supposed to use distilled water.

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an opinion.  "Organic" used to be a word used in chemistry for distinguishing between compounds with carbon in them, and compounds not having the element carbon.   Basically to separate things that are alive, and things that are not.  Almost all animals, and plants are carbon based life forms.   Now, "organic" is a marketing buzz word to fool people into paying higher prices for products.

As far as antifreeze goes ethylene glycol is a compound containing carbon.  So, any antifreeze containing it can be called "organic".

I have found that Prestone antifreeze, the green stuff is available at Walmart for the best price, even the local mini Walmart has it.  You can get either the 50/50 premix, or the full strength.  A few aisles over, get some distilled water.  If you have nothing to mix it in, buy a gallon of 50/50. a gallon of full strength strength, and gallon of distilled water.   Put the 50/50 in first, you now have an empty container to pour half of the full strength in, and half of the distilled water in, making another gallon of 50/50, and then pour the rest of the distilled water in to the half empty full strength antifreeze, and make a third gallon of 50/50.

Sorry, I do know what the Argentine equivalent of Walmart is.

• Like 1

Just an opinion.  "Organic" used to be a work used in chemistry for distinguishing between compounds with carbon in them, and compounds not having the element carbon.   Basically to separate things that are alive, and things that are not.  Almost all animals, and plants are carbon based life forms.   Now, "organic" is a marketing buzz word to fool people into paying higher prices for products.

As far as antifreeze goes ethylene glycol is a compound containing carbon.  So, any antifreeze containing it can be called "organic".

I have found that Prestone antifreeze, the green stuff is available at Walmart for the best price, even the local mini Walmart has it.  You can get either the 50/50 premix, or the full strength.  A few aisles over, get some distilled water.  If you have nothing to mix it in, buy a gallon of 50/50. a gallon of full strength strength, and gallon of distilled water.   Put the 50/50 in first, you now have an empty container to pour half of the full strength in, and half of the distilled water in, making another gallon of 50/50, and then pour the rest of the distilled water in to the half empty full strength antifreeze, and make a third gallon of 50/50.

Sorry, I do know what the Argentine equivalent of Walmart is.

Thanks for your answer..!

I will keep using the organic 50/50 mixture then...

PS: Walmart here is named Walmart... they reached this remote area of the globe too..! Hahaha...!

• Like 1

QUESTION. So freak cold weather in Louisiana, it's supposed to get down to 26 tonight. I have the bottom hose on the radiator but top hose off. I have a little fresh antifreeze in it so freezing wont happen in the radiator. But I have not had a chance to put the new thermostat back on, so that is off of the motor. I'm sure whatever ancient antifreeze mix is left in the block is not going to prevent freezing. I should be ok though right? Since the thermostat outlet is off and the cooling system is not sealed there should be plenty of room for expanding right??? If not I'll have to fig up a heater or something tonight.

• Like 1

As the block has old crap that you are going to replace anyway, pull the bottom hose off or loosen the drain plug on the rad and dump it out. If you think the old stuff will freeze you want any liquid, lower than the heater core.

Dipping to 26 over night as long as it comes back above freezing tomorrow shouldn't matter.

• Like 1

As the block has old crap that you are going to replace anyway, pull the bottom hose off or loosen the drain plug on the rad and dump it out. If you think the old stuff will freeze you want any liquid, lower than the heater core.

Dipping to 26 over night as long as it comes back above freezing tomorrow shouldn't matter.

Appreciate it. I don't think the temp got below freezing ONCE last winter here. We aren't used to this cold stuff!

• Like 1

I've had several Datsuns that were filled with water after fixing the thermostat housing or over heating rads and I wanted to run them for a while first before filling them with good coolant and maybe loosing it. Next thing you know winter hits too fast. My Z24 engine, I had to loosen the fan belt because the water pump was frozen solid. Ran it till it was only barely warm and pulled the hose off and dumped the steamy water. Left it empty for the winter.

• Like 1