Changing my own tire!!

Broke down meow

So I just spent the past few hours trying to get a tire that was too small on to my rim. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me for the amount of yelling that happened. But I digress. I wanted some tips or advice for anybody that has mounted their own tire on to a rim. I'll probably have a helluva easier time with the right size but still, advice is nice!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much all 14s will fit all 14" rims, 15 to 15s and so on. A 14 will NEVER fit a 15 rim. So I assume you have a tire that is the correct size for the rim.

A narrow tire will fit a wider rim and a wider tire will fit a narrower rim. I don't think this is necessarily a wise move but they will go on easily enough and with varying amounts of difficulty can be made to hold air.

Use lots of soapy water and stretch the first side over the rim. Don't force and cut the sealing surface it WILL go on. In fact it can't NOT go on.

With the tire edge started, allow it to drop down into the narrowest part of the rim and this will give you room the maneuver the other side across from this, on. Liquid detergent and water for lub.

• Like 1

The front tires are a little different than the rear. The front are P195 70R14 90T and the rear are P195 75R14 92S. The front driver side was wearing down so I went to change it but my spare was for the rear tires. I purchased a new tire that was the same size as the spare but there's a slight difference and I hope it's why the tire didnt seem to fit on the rim. The tire I'm supposed to use is P195 75R14 92S but I purchased a P195 75R14 95T. Could that be the problem? The difference of the last few digits? 92S / 95T

• Like 1

I have found many tire shops will not mount a used tire.  Possibly liability reasons, possibly profit motivated.

I have put a few tires on rims at home, with tire irons.  I used a piece of all thread, and two short pieces of 2x6 board to clamp the wheel to a pair of sturdy metal saw horses.  As it gets difficult to pry the tire bead over the edge of the wheel, take really small "bites".  It is quicker to work an 1/8 of a inch bead over the wheel 16 times, than to try to get a 2 inch section of the tire over the wheel all at once.

• Like 1

Yeah don't use screwdrivers, use proper tire irons that are rounded and less likely to bite into the rubber. Again use lots of dish soap and water in a Windex bottle. I changed at least three sets of tires on my 620 myself except for the last set of 33" that were new and included mounting. Did a set on my 710 goon too. This included dismounting the old ones too. For that, take the tire valve guts out, place a large plank on the rubber just off the rim edge and drive a (heavy) vehicle up the plank until the tire breaks away from the rim. Do other side and pry them off.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In regards to the tire codes, 92S / 95T are referring to the load capacity and speed rating of the tires. Shouldn't have anything to do with fitment. 92S is 1389lbs per corner and rated to 112mph top speed. 95T is 1521lbs per corner and 118mph top speed.

~Peter