Progress on 85 720 4x4 (Merged threads)

la_leo

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the one you sent me an eBay link to is for an older discontinued one, but yeah same thing. Thanks Mike I'll have to inspect it. I can't hear it clicking on when I turn on the ignition. When I get the engine parts back on I'll try again

• Like 1

STAY AWAY from the airtex water pump! !! I purchased it after looking at it on several sites, ALL showed that it has a cast iron impeller. But got it today and what do you know, it's a stamped one. I wasn't about to send it back so I said oh well and put it on. I also didn't like how it has those little studs on it to mount the fan to. It didn't come with nuts with the studs so tomorrow I have to get a pack of them. The pump I took off had a cast impeller and bolts holding the fan on.

• Like 1

different size threads. It's just irritating

I bet the casting isn't the original either. Compare it to your stock one. It'll work... but OEM or even a used one would be best.

Supposedly my truck goes into 5th gear, but pops back out. What would be the odds it would be cheap fix like a bushing? I'm probably going to diagnose it in a couple of weeks if I can get it running this week.

On the early 5 speeds the mainshaft nut would loosen and 5th and reverse gears would slide to the rear and wouldn't stay in gear. Nissan fixed this by installing a special nut that could be staked after torquing. Would look something like this...

4_zpsb59e3a5d.jpg

Only way your might come loose is if it was apart and the nut not staked in place. Back half of the transmission would have to come off and the nut tightened and staked.

Other causes could be the floor, boot or carpet interfering with the shifter.

A bad bearing on the mainshaft in the adapter plate. This would necessitate the transmission being disassembled

• Like 1

I bet the casting isn't the original either. Compare it to your stock one. It'll work... but OEM or even a used one would be best.

On the early 5 speeds the mainshaft nut would loosen and 5th and reverse gears would slide to the rear and wouldn't stay in gear. Nissan fixed this by installing a special nut that could be staked after torquing. Would look something like this...

4_zpsb59e3a5d.jpg

Only way your might come loose is if it was apart and the nut not staked in place. Back half of the transmission would have to come off and the nut tightened and staked.

Other causes could be the floor, boot or carpet interfering with the shifter.

A bad bearing on the mainshaft in the adapter plate. This would necessitate the transmission being disassembled

Appreciate it. I'll take a look at it in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1
20161211_185225_zps3pc41unx.jpg 20161211_184814_zpskqotrdlq.jpg 20161211_184838_zpswkugiodp.jpg here's the rust I'll have to fix on the bed. All the other rust on the body I think can be done with filler it's so minor. I'm going to get my friend to fab some new steel for this bed and paint it. I have the seats pulled out, still have to pull the carpets and dash out to clean the filth out
  • Like 1

Depending on the cost I'm thinking about getting my buckets re upholstered. The only down side is, I'd want tor foam replaced because I'm certain the mice have messed on the seats. Probably went through the cloth to the foam yuck! Went to the local salvage yard and they had one 720. It was in horrible shape and they wanted 750 bucks for it! Didn't even run. Couldn't even use it for parts since it was a base model single cab.

• Like 1

Seats today are far far far and away better than those in '85. Check out what others did for their trucks. I changed my 710 seats for some out of a Subaru (something). Leather, (I thought vinyl and found out only when I looked them up later) electric adjust in every direction but sideways, lumbar adjust, even has built in electric heaters for the winter. All I wanted them for was, they looked comfortable. Only $35 each.

All that great upholstery out there in wrecking yards going to waste.

• Like 1

The price on the Facet pumps vary so much the one Nissan Driver linked to is the seller I buy mine from.  Could not find him when I linked the other one.

These pumps last ask Rhino.

The nut on the drive shaft I us a screw driver the size of the key way and pry the punch mark out the best I can then take the nut of.  I have in a pinch taken the nut off without prying the punch mark out and it was fine as the nut is soft.

So my truck was built in 2/85. Today I checked the blower motor and it works, but I can hear the leaves and trash inside. I'll pull it out this week. I cant figure out how the hot to cold control on the dash goes back together. I'll have to figure it out unless someone has a pick. It's just hanging there, it's not fixed like the other controls.

• Like 1

That is good information.  I have the sun roof glass and seal down butt have not found the rest of the hardarware.  I tried looking at the pictures on Parts deal but they are not getailed enough to figure out what I am looking for.  I will keep looking.  I have to many parts.  Need to thin it out to a manageagable amount.