Progress on 85 720 4x4 (Merged threads)

la_leo

Does it start?

You posted the clutch went to the floor.

Decide how much time and $$$ you are willing to put into it.

Figure out your priorities.

Thanks for posting afterbath pics.

Looks slick wet.

Not sure about the clutch yet. I need a new battery, but I hooked it up to my boat battery temporarily and all the lights come on in the dash. I bumped it so it turns over. But it'll be a few days before I attempt to start it. Fuel system and cooling system have to cleaned out first.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Below the carb on side of intake between the carb and the valve cover. Not too far from there the fuel line is. The PCV valve is a fitting that can appear to be just a hollow plug but it is a metered orifice or a designed vacuum leak with a small seaball and spring to hold it closed. Intake vacuum keeps it open and the spring prevents a backfire getting past it to the crank case.

The Federal (non California) PCV valve number is 11810-80W00. You can use this to cross reference it form an auto parts store.

They can simply be cleaned with a solvent

• Like 1

Below the carb on side of intake between the carb and the valve cover. Not too far from there the fuel line is. The PCV valve is a fitting that can appear to be just a hollow plug but it is a metered orifice or a designed vacuum leak with a small seaball and spring to hold it closed. Intake vacuum keeps it open and the spring prevents a backfire getting past it to the crank case.

The Federal (non California) PCV valve number is 11810-80W00. You can use this to cross reference it form an auto parts store.

They can simply be cleaned with a solvent

20161203_110056_zpsrdtsz3v4.jpg OK thanks! ! I believe this is it right below the carb
  • Like 1

Loosen fully and then torque to 60 ft lbs. Engine cold. Do one bolt at a time in any order.

well two things. I couldnt break the head bolts loose with a standard 1/2 ratchet. It felt like if I pulled any harder I'd snap the bolts. Probably seized after 30 years. I did check the torque with my torque wrench and they're all at least 60 lbs. Also how much,if any, will a 3 inch extension make on the torque wrench? I can't get to some of the head bolts without the extension.
  • Like 1

It takes a good amount of force to break the head bolts loose, it totally sounds like they're breaking but don't worry about it and just use a breaker bar if needed. I have used a 10 inch extension with no issues.

• Like 1

OIL FILTER QUESTION. I did an oil change and the motor had a walmart special fram PH3682 on it. I replaced it with a WIX 51515. It's MUCH larger and I had a hard time getting the filter in place with the AC lines in the way. The gasket and threads matched, but it just seemed odd that the wix was so much larger.

• Like 1

There is two filters that fit, probably more. Fram numbers are the Ph3682 and PH8A. The gasket and threads are the same, PH8a is just bigger. Its a ford filter off the 351 IIRC. FL1A is the motorcraft number.

Ah I see. Something else I noticed there is a long tube coming out of the engine block, about 3 inches long. The tube goes into the filter then you can screw it on. I assume it's a pickup tube?
  • Like 1

Just an update. I've drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and waiting on the fuel filter that mounts on the fuel pump itself. Waiting on parts for the cooling system (hoses, water pump, thermostat) and I'll do a flush when it gets running. Changed the plugs, waiting on the wires. Changed the oil and filter. Waiting on the air filter, evap and breather filter to come in. Painted a few rusty things like the air filter housing, valve cover, and the little area where the battery sits. Still need to check the valve clearance and install the new valve cover gasket and grommets. Checked the head bolts they are good. Cleaned all the mouse nests under the hood! I pulled out the seats and I'm just about ready to rip out the disgusting carpets. Going to pull out the dash too, since there are definitely some living creatures calling that their home too. I want to clean the nasty out of there! Once I get it fired up, I'll probably change the front, rear, and transfer case fluid. Got a nearly new sweet set of 15 inch Destination MT tires for it just waiting to be put on. Then I'll decide on putting in new carpets or just rhino lining it. The rusted out bed still needs either new metal or a custom flat bed, have not decided yet. At some point I'll need to check the front end linkages and 4x4 system. I'll probably replace the auto hubs with manual ones later on. New radio and speakers MUCH later on, and getting the interior up to par. Not to mention replacing that shattered sun roof glass. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure there are some things I left out. As of now I have about 550 dollars ALL IN, truck plus parts.

• Like 1

The oil comes in around the tube, goes into the filter, then is sucked through the filter and back into the engine by that tube. So yes its pretty much a pickup or return tube.

Oil is not sucked through the filter. Unfiltered oil is pushed by pump pressure through the filter and exits (cleaned and under pressure) through this tube into the main oil gallery to the rest of the engine. I wouldn't call it a return or pick up tube as it's delivering oil. The oil pick up tube is usually referring to the tube the oil is drawn up through from the pan.  

• Like 2

No it doesn't. It has 4 plastic pins on the bottom to hold it in place. The pins sit into 4 holes on the top of the valance. Mine is slightly tweaked so you have to give it some force to unwedge it from between the valance and the bottom of the headlights. I use zip ties to hold my grill, you only see them when you open the grill.

• Like 1

You can pull the bottom off to inspect it, I am not sure if they make rebuild kits but a Google search will tell you. If you decide to go aftermarket get a facet brand pump. I tried 6 pumps before listening to Charlie69 and its been on my truck over a year with no issues.

• Like 1

You can pull the bottom off to inspect it, I am not sure if they make rebuild kits but a Google search will tell you. If you decide to go aftermarket get a facet brand pump. I tried 6 pumps before listening to Charlie69 and its been on my truck over a year with no issues.

do you recall the model number? I'm assuming it's the vertical low pressure one, ? Edit : I looked back on some forums and found it. FEP60SV
  • Like 1