Metal bed

Datsun620ftw

Hello everyone, I have been interested in a project car for a while, and a nice 620 just came on sale. There is only a slight problem that I'm wondering if I can get around. 620's in my country were only sold with wood beds, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to find a metal bed anywhere, if there are any datsun parts sellers that have them, or scrapyards, or if making one from scratch with minimal bodywork knowlegdge is viable.

Thanks in advance for any help guys

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the bed has sides too. Haven't bought it yet, i'm just trying to inform myself as much as I can before I jump into a Ratsun truck project, since being stuck with a wood bed would be a dealbreaker

I'll try and get the photos up asap, although it may take a few hours, can I link the ad here?

• Like 1

You sure they only had wood beds? Maybe not sold with a bed and owners make them? I can't see selling a truck without a box, kind of defeats the purpose of it being a 'truck'

The '79... probably the '78 did come with a Cab/Chassis option. These were sold without a bed for those wishing to use a commercial flatbed or box or converting to a camper.

• Like 1

That's a Cab/Chassis option, even says build 'em the way you want 'em. '78 and '79 gas tank was mounted on the frame so it would drive without a box. Earlier trucks the tank was on the bottom of the bed. Great if you want a motor home, camper, flatbed or a commercial box on it. Nice brochure, never seen this before. 

• Like 1

Hmm, so unless I find a 620 with a metal bed from factory for sale, buying one of these cab options and making my own metal bed is my best bet right?

How hard is it to find one of these beds for sale? Can I buy and possibly import a bed like that? Since its a 70's truck I'm guessing next to impossible, yeah?

• Like 1

My knowlegde in importing stuff is minimal aswell... I'm from Portugal guys

Edit: Nice find with the trailer! I am definitely interested in bringing a metal bed over from outside if it has to be that way, but costs could be an issue. Do any of you have any idea of the €/$ ?

Gotcha. Ok, so what I took from all of this is that finding a box for a 620 isn't impossible, I just have to import it from abroad, the Americas most likely, so I'll be dropping some €€ there, but it's doable. God dang wood boxes..

Thank you Seb and thanks everyone for the help, let's hope I'll be rocking a sweet 620 in the near future, need a few more euros to go. Thanks !!

• Like 1

What about adapting another bed to it? I have seen examples of stepside beds dropped onto 620s before. At the bottom of this thread is such a 620: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2243-real-museum-620s/page-2

This would be a lot simpler than trying to fabricate one from scratch, and potentially simpler than importing one (certianly cheaper)

Just off the top of my partially informed head, to ship one you have to pay for the item, crating of the item, shipping of the item, customs fees, duty on the item, lading of the item, and storage of the item.

Instead, get yourself a bed off of whatever compact truck is common over there and drop it in place. I'm sure that some cutting and drilling will be needed, but these beds are relatively standard sizes and it's not as if the Datsun bed really fits the body lines of the cab anyway. Personally I think the stepsides look really good.

EDIT:

Upon looking into it more, the stepside bed was offered by an aftermarket company in California for some time in the 70s, so some did "come" with it. But I stand by my statement that adapting another bed to the frame is likely easier than making one from scratch or importing one.

• Like 1