Engine build ideas, need some help (looooong story)

bajango

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did think that. Just swap everything together but replace the bearing. Use the 521 engine mounts.

Think about using your 521 exhaust manifold on the L20B engine and you won't have to join the 720 down pipe to your exhaust system. This will save you some welding fabrication headaches.

You may not be able to use the 720 alternator that comes with the L20B.

• Like 1

Hey Mike, is the 71c 2-3 and 3-4 the same as a zx box?

Like I've said in another thread that the ratios in the newer tranny were a lot better than a l series dogleg.

Even with the widest ratio Trans if you shift it past peak power (7000-7500) your gonna Land on the high side of peak torque.

Even cammed up its not bad putting around town at low rpm, I wouldn't say it's any worse down low than a stock motor.

If you built a hot motor and put it in a street car, your not just gonna putt, your gonna brappp your ass off all over town and put those Subaru vape smokers to shame

Mike, yes I am aware it's a percentage, I should have spelled out directly rather than mentioning needing 4500 to get the car rolling. Yes shifting at 6K would "only" drop the motor down to 3700 rpms but there are two big problems with that; first the motor has now fallen of the cam & the motors bucking like a rabid mule, second is the motor has also dropped off about 30 horsepower. Revvy motors typically have the meat of powerband 2000 rpms wide at best, hence the ultra close ratio boxes.

When some says revvy motor I, wrong or right, assume they mean something that revs to at least 8000 rpms. Now granted with the A series I calculate shifts based on 8600 rpms for an A12 and 8100 for the A15. My fellow vintage racers with L series suffer the same fate. The dyno even sheets I've seen show a 50hp drop between 8500 and 5500 rpms, we're talking 15 hp for every 1000 rpms, again the flat part of the power curve is only 1500-2000 rpms wide. A real world example was my A12 with 290 duration cam with 104 degree lobe centers; my tilt trailer is fairly steep (think pulling out of a downtown parking garage) and it's a bear to ease up onto the trailer.

As part of choosing what motor to build I'd be taking a good look at dyno sheets to see what will make the most usable power on the street. Many many years ago I had a heavily ported Yamaha RD350 as a street bike with a powerband similar to my race A12. It was wicked cool but a real PIA especially if you needed to pull away quickly. Having a cop in the lane next to you made it even more rocky.

I'm not meaning to drone on about this but it should absolutely be a factor when doing a street car or bargain race car that will be running a standard box.

I thought the purpose of this thread was to make a lot more than 100 hp

Ooook oook ok. 117.7hp lol. My point is that its not easy making horsepower on an all motor 2L. I'd like to make 150hp. That would make me happy. At least from what I've read, that's about the street limit on a L20B

I'm already using a 720 alternator. I robbed a bracket off my old 1983 Nissan 720. It's a tight fit,. But I got it to work. I wanted to be sure that I had no issues with my electric fan and small subwoofer.

Yes a tight fit.

You know that the 521 alternator uses an external alternator, correct? and that the 720 alternator has a built it regulator inside it? The 521 wiring needs to be changed slightly if you are running an internally regulated 720 alternator.

Ooook oook ok. 117.7hp lol. My point is that its not easy making horsepower on an all motor 2L. I'd like to make 150hp. That would make me happy. At least from what I've read, that's about the street limit on a L20B

I think you can make 150 fairly easy.

If you do a 2.3, you can make more.

• Like 1

Yes a tight fit.

You know that the 521 alternator uses an external alternator, correct? and that the 720 alternator has a built it regulator inside it? The 521 wiring needs to be changed slightly if you are running an internally regulated 720 alternator.

Yeah they are internally regulated and I've done all the wiring bits to make it work correctly

• Like 1

Setting a 50% increase in stock HP goal is.... I don''t know... kind of... counter productive. A 150 hp L20B will not be as 'driveable' as a stock one. Sure, it will go like 150 hp when revved up but it wont start in the cold as well, won't idle as well, wont stop and go in traffic as well and, won't hot re-start as well. Now if you have a car that you only drive after work or weekends for fun then this isn't as big a deal but if you might drive daily and to work you want something more reliable and 'drive able'.

If 150 hp is a goal, get an engine that does this all day long in stock configuration, like a KA24DE. Tons of low speed torque and lots of fun.

DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

Byron's sheet. Thrown together LZ22, home made ITB EFI, mystery cam and springs. The year previous was with side drafts and was only 6hp lower.

This is RWHP!!!!!

You're looking at $1,000 to rebuild your engine, might as well get a larger block