To 5 spd or not

I finally have had a chance to run my truck out on the hiway, and it sucks! I'm at 3200 rpm at 57 mph. I went to look at a dogleg 5 spd out of a 200sx last night and am now at a crossroads at what I should do.

Do I go for the 5 spd swap or look at maybe different gears in the rear. I've done alot of reading on here about the swap, and I am somewhat aware of the problems I may incur, but shouldn't be too difficult. The only question I have is will my driveshaft fit?

It was custom made 1 piece with a 510 yolk on it. My question is, will the dust flange on the yolk slide into the dust flange on the back of the dogleg 5 spd?

I currently have a 510 4spd. behind my L20B, and that tranny doesn't have the dust flange on the tail where the yolk slips in. Or, should I leave the 4 spd. and maybe look for some taller gears?

Thanks in advance to any ideas!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 510 and the 200sx dogleg have identical 1 through 4 gears but a 14.6% over drive if you were at 3,200 @ 57 MPH you will now be 2,736 RPMs. Just keep in mind that you can't keep lowering RPMs forever and still be able to make enough power to push through the air and climb hills at high speed. The good news is it will drive exactly the same in the lower 4 gears as before.

You are running a 4.375 differential in your 521, so a 3.70 differential (close to 14.5% different) will also drop your 3,200 RPMs down to about the same amount. HOWEVER this will affect your acceleration in ALL the gears and be sluggish. If you carry heavy loads often this isn't the way to go. It is the fastest, easiest and cheapest option. .

It should fit inside that shield ,,   My .02 would be if your running low profile tires ,, do the 5speed swap AND switch rear gear to 3.90 ..

I loved the dogleg and 3.9 rear in my 521. cruised 80 in 5th. rpms kinda high near 4k but that where my L18 likes to be. Doing the speed limit and driving it nice i got a good 22mpg depending on the wind

Forth 'gear' isn't really a gear as power is transmitted straight through the transmission in a straight line to the driveshaft. There is little side load so the bearings that support the mainshaft are usually more quiet. ALL other gears transmit power through the counter shaft. Under load, the main and counter shafts tend to be forced apart and the bearing have to work harder and wear out sooner. Growling in 1,2,3,and 5 but quieter in 4th would be the counter bearings.

The FS5W63A dogleg has 63mm between main and countershaft centers. This limits the maximum diameters of the bearings that can fit between the shafts that support them. An FS5W71B has 71mm for larger bearings.