pathy steering box...whill it work?

BEEBANI

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure it wont. A friend of mine some years back tried using an HB/Pathy power box on his 4wd 80 720 pickup. It wouldn't bolt up at all, your best bet is to find someone parting one out on craigslist thats used for cheap and trying to make it work. If I remember right the idler arms wouldn't even interchange. peace.

The '79-'80 280z is almost the same and fits on the inside of the frame:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

Just remove the pitman arm and the 620 arm fits on facing backwards of course. Had this setup on my 620. Eventually switched to a 720 and then a D-21 box outside the frame after the SAS. Oh yeah the sector shaft spline on the newer ones were different than the 620 so the pitman arm won't fit.

I have an '80 200sx ps box that also fits inside the frame. Never took it out or tried it. Might be the same as the 280z one.

Edited by datzenmike

I have a R&P for a guy on the Realm. He said that the ideal rack was one that was the same width as the distance between the steering box and the idler arm that it replaces.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/85200sxturbosteering009.jpg[/img]"]85200sxturbosteering009.jpg

The measurement is inside the boot where the rod joins, to the inside of the other boot where the rod joins.

I went out and took some measurements. Tie rod end to tie rod end is 46" or so. The center link is 20" across. The problem I see is that the frame rails are about 25" OC so the rack would have to be wider than optimal or some other sort of mount would have to be figured out.

I've been trying to find something Datsun that will "bolt in" too.

Mike, you say the '79-'80 Z box will bolt up or you had to mod it a little?

Only saying the 200sx looks very like the 280z one that I used. And yes you would have to maybe weld a plate on the frame to run the mounting bolts through. You also have to get rid of the dangerous stock one piece and maybe use a 720 column like I did. Add to this a pump maybe from a 280z as well, as it has the L mounting where the fuel pump is and runs an electric for the EFI.

Unless you are running over 235s you really don't need p/s. 31 1/2s were damn near impossible to turn. I have 33s now and can turn lock to lock with your finger.:D