Seeking info on 71 510 defroster duct replacement

Did a search and didn't come up with anything helpful. My car came with nothing, probably rotted away long ago. 

Just wanting to know if there is a resource or possible creative fix out there before I try to cobble something together.

Found this 3D printable option http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:618340 just need to buy and learn how to use one.

Datsunlandsocal had some but that source is gone.

Picture attached below for reference (#14 and #15).

Thanks in advance for any help!

demister%20ducts3.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just barely refurbished my whole heater unit and those two units are the very last things I need as mine are also destroyed. Thanks for posting that link.

Where I live, the table top/card game "nerd dens" often offer 3d printing in house. Perhaps you can find a printer that way.

I was thinking that maybe printing this in 3 pieces and then gluing it together would make it easier (and maybe faster)? Two of the parts could be common to both sides (#1 + #3) with #2 (I think they angle away from the heater unit) being unique to left and right sides. ABS glue is pretty tough stuff. I have no idea if you can easily break the 3D print file into segments to accomplish this.

maybe2.jpg

I was thinking that maybe printing this in 3 pieces and then gluing it together would make it easier (and maybe faster)? Two of the parts could be common to both sides (#1 + #3) with #2 (I think they angle away from the heater unit) being unique to left and right sides. ABS glue is pretty tough stuff. I have no idea if you can easily break the 3D print file into segments to accomplish this.

maybe2.jpg

It would be much easier to cut it down the middle on the long axis and print it with supports.

Dguy210 has a printer and would probably be down to help, in fact i need some myself

I'm like 600 miles away from my printer, and I won't be able to move it until December likely. Nothing is getting printed by me for a very long time.

However, these are something I've been looking at making.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OK, I went with the cheap ass hack to get some form of defroster function in my car. The good news is it is mostly hidden from view under the dash. The bad news is it aint' pretty.  You have been warned.

no4.jpg

no%201.jpg

Had a roll of aluminum flashing that is easy to form, bends and cuts easy. A couple of pop rivets and foil tape and your good to go. Some 2" flexible tubing from Dorman links it all together.

no2_1.jpg

no5.jpg

no3_1.jpg

Bring on the frosty mornings!