speaker in the ashtray?

spdcrazy

wow, that link is full of good info!

I don't see why I can't just wire it in with the two speakers like it explains, and I read that a co-axial center speaker is optimal. if I go that route for the center, what style would I be looking for in the kickpanel speakers? 2 or 3 ways?

Mr.Big, yes that was what you were saying, however I still don't see why the location itself could be a dumb idea, what that solely due to the speaker being physically close to the radio? or with the possibility of the metal dash vibrating and being annoying? or just a dumb idea if it was the only speaker I intended on installing?

You hit all of it. Not being a dick by the way just trying to save you the trouble.

• Like 2
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy can build kicker boxes. I built mine and put them up under the dash, covered with nice vinyl and it sounds great. Put 2 speakers in custom boxes behind the seats. Easy all day and very reasonable ta boot! Feet never even get close to kicking them either. 

• Like 1

flatcat, that's exactly my truck as well. i'll def need 3+ speakers, and no Walmart crap either

Mr.Big, no worries, you come off as a bit abrasive, but I've read enough of your posts to know you mean no harm, your builds are awesome, and your knowledge it desired, thanks for chiming in here!

4perrev, I expect i'll just run a few kickpanel speakers to start, nothing to crazy. first thing first tho, I need to wire the AM radio to have an aux

• Like 2

flatcat, that's exactly my truck as well. i'll def need 3+ speakers, and no Walmart crap either

Mr.Big, no worries, you come off as a bit abrasive, but I've read enough of your posts to know you mean no harm, your builds are awesome, and your knowledge it desired, thanks for chiming in here!

4perrev, I expect i'll just run a few kickpanel speakers to start, nothing to crazy. first thing first tho, I need to wire the AM radio to have an aux

Try do a search or Jrock chime in did some one not make a kick panel already. I can't remember but some one had them. If I find them I will let you know.

• Like 1

pic didn't come through.

are you guys saying some kickpanels have been made with speaker options cut out already?

I haven't looked into it much, but it is a flat panel correct? I have my factory panels in moderate shape shouldn't be tough to trace out and cut right? or is there a bit more to it than that.

• Like 2

The 521 kick panel is just a piece of metal one layer thick, you cannot cut a hole in it because then the back of the speaker would be outside where all the dirt and water from the tire would hit it, if you want put speakers there you have to build a panel/box that will hold a speaker, but it will stick out some depending how deep the speaker is, or you need to buy a box that holds a speaker that can be mounted to the kick panel.

I put my speakers in the door below the wing window where water cannot drip down on it as long as the wing window seal is good.

• Like 2

Thanks Charlie. My work computer won't let me attach stuff, so I typed the link. Didn't work. I have pictures of the whole process on my 521 build. Very easy to do and not much cost either. Used a piece of fiber board from Homedepot, fiberglass and vinyl to finish it off. Also used all the original screw holes to mount it. Looks good and haven't had any issues with it coming loose in over a year! Easy all day!!

• Like 1

it'll be a bit, but it sounds like that might be needed. my buddy is handy with fiberglass, and I have some fiberboard.

I think the end result idea is a sound modulator thing. its a 12v power 2 channel mini amp. designed for aux imput. 50 watts. i'll send the music to a set of 6.5 rounds on the kickpanels, might rock some tweeters up under the dash near the center console, or maybe incorporate them into the kickpanel as well. unclear. probably won't add them until later.

• Like 1