Alternator.

Ponyboy Easley

Recommendations for running a new headunit and two basic speakers in  my 1976 Datsun 620. Im gunna need a bigger alternator. When I power on the radio and play music, my headlights start to dim like they are loosing power. 

What size alternator should I use? 75 amps?

Obviously I have to use an aftermarket one or one from a newer nissan. Which would fit? Also nothing that cost too much. Im looking sub $150

Thanks! You guys are always so helpful! Love this site

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 620 only uses a 35/38 amp alternator because there isn't much room for a physically larger one. They barely clear the top of the idler arm beneath them. If you go to a larger 60 amp from a Datsun car be sure it clears. Mine didn't.

I got the 60 amp from a 720, they're the same as the car and larger diameter. I used a shorter belt, a 280zx lower rad hose return fitting to the timing cover and a 720 alternator to block mount. The mount lifts the alternator, just barely. The rad hose fitting moves the return hose farther to the rear out of the way. I had to put the belt on first and then bolt it in. It worked.... just barely.

The idler arm grease fitting is just below the alternator case and much too close. The 720 moved the steering box and the matched idler arm to the outside of the frame and why the 720- could fit a larger alternator. None of the Datsun cars have the steering in the front so it's not a problem for them.

Must be the S10 200sx you mean. It had 50/60 amp, was larger and had external regulator.

Pic of my Saturn alternator in my 620... It's very close to the idler arm, and close to my coolant hose... But it works!

image_zpsjxvb3z1j.jpeg

The one I did 15? years ago I used a 280z or zx water inlet fitting. It is bent more to the rear and moves the rad hose out of the way. Here is a regular inlet fitting...

s-l225.jpg

Below you can see they are much more swept back...

SAM_0003.jpg

Mike it's not the inlet that is the issue.... It's because I'm using a radiator out of a different vehicle... And the frame is bent to shit so I cannot even get a oem radiator to fit.... The hose is close to the fan blade off the alternator. But it doesn't touch

You must be wanting a new motor soon with the lower coolant hose being so close to getting CUT.

either cut the hose a little shorter or do ask Mike says. Otherwise that is a motor waiting to go bad.

My motor will go bad from my radiator hose bursting? Would it not overheat first? Just instant rip and then shot motor?

I think once I fit a oem radiator back onto the truck I'll worry about getting a new inlet. The alternator can't move much closer because I haven't ground down the lower mount for more adjustment... There's not much play, it's not ideal but it works

The hose won't explode, it will just get a small leak and run low and then overheat. Some rads have an elbow on the outlet that moves the hose over from the alternator. Shortening the hose that goes directly into the rad will also love it away from those spinning parts.

• Like 1

The hose won't explode, it will just get a small leak and run low and then overheat. Some rads have an elbow on the outlet that moves the hose over from the alternator. Shortening the hose that goes directly into the rad will also love it away from those spinning parts.

It is further away then it looks in that photo. But I also check my oil and water everyday! I think this setup will last me another month or so until I get the frame straightened out and fit a oem radiator back in.... If there is more clearance issues then, I'll have to make adjustments !