Buying a 620

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums here, though I've been lurking for a couple weeks. I recently sold my Courier and was very sad to see her go, but I'm looking for a new project. I narrowed it down to the Chevy Luv and the Datsun 620, though I'm leaning towards the 620 after a lot of the posts I read on here. What I'm looking for is advice. Are there years I should stay away from? Are there certain things I should be looking for when I make my purchase? Are there better sites than Craigslist to find one for sale? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Burt.

I would say get the '78 or '79 620. These years had ball joint steering and got rid of the problematic king pins. They also had the superior electronic ignition and an internally regulated alternator. From '77 on up a 5 speed was available and some trucks will have this.

• Like 1

Not many better places to search than craigslist. We do have a thread under general discussion called "post ads craigslist eBay" or some such where guys link to datsun ads they find.

If searching craigslist, use searchtempest.com. put in your zip, a mileage distance from you, and your search and it will search all the craigslist sites within that distance of you.

Welcome Burt.

I would say get the '78 or '79 620. These years had ball joint steering and got rid of the problematic king pins. They also had the superior electronic ignition and an internally regulated alternator. From '77 on up a 5 speed was available and some trucks will have this.

I've never experienced problems with the kingpins. What kind of problems do they have and that I should look out for?

When they wear out (usually from many owners neglect and not greasing them on time) they are hard to fix. The average person cannot do it. They may be able to remove them and later put them together and back in when rebuilt but that's about it. It's possible that they may be able to take them apart but again (from my experience) they are usually seized and only a shop can do this.

The later ball joint set up on the other hand are simply replaced when worn out.

When they wear out (usually from many owners neglect and not greasing them on time) they are hard to fix. The average person cannot do it. They may be able to remove them and later put them together and back in when rebuilt but that's about it. It's possible that they may be able to take them apart but again (from my experience) they are usually seized and only a shop can do this.

The later ball joint set up on the other hand are simply replaced when worn out.

So to clarify, the kingpins themselves aren't problematic - the owners are problematic in that they fail to perform proper maintenance and then are unable to properly perform the repair procedure.  

• Like 1

Well they won't last forever, but neither will the ball joint steering even if you grease them both regularly. Most Datsun owners are not original owners so they are all in various stages of worn out/abused. The non king pin trucks also have the stock front disc brakes, electronic ignition, internally regulated alternators so are just a better choice.

When you go to buy your 620, caused that's the right choice, I'd say the only reason to get an older model truck is if you wanted something smog exempt if that is even an a factor for you. Also with the later year 620 truck, with ball joints and disc brakes, there is bolt on upgrade options for drop spindle and slotted rotors, and even dual calipers( d21 and pathfinder). Also younger sheet metal. And frame mounted fuel tank. Makes it a lot easier to pull the bed

• Like 3