Engine bay inspection light/lamp location

thisismatt

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The switch that activates it is finicky and is same switch as the door jam dome light switches.

Here is a rare inspection light for reference for anybody interested.

WORK%20LIGHT%20ACCESSORY_zpsce35ksdx.jpg

KGrHqNHJCEE9EBQO4qBPdKLP0rg60_57_zpshwuu

I saw this one on ebay.  I thought I looked it up and found it to be 720 era, but I could be wrong

The stock "permanently mounted to the firewall" engine room light in a USA 521 is powered when the lights are on.  The plunger switch by the cowl ID place grounds the light when the hood id opened.

If the light will not go on, is the lamp good?  Is power getting to the light bulb socket?  Is the switch grounding the socket, when the hood is opened?

If the light will not go off, (with the lights on, and you have to push the plunger on the hood activated switch) there is a short to ground in the wire from the light socket to the hood switch.

• Like 1

The stock "permanently mounted to the firewall" engine room light in a USA 521 is powered when the lights are on.  The plunger switch by the cowl ID place grounds the light when the hood id opened.

If the light will not go on, is the lamp good?  Is power getting to the light bulb socket?  Is the switch grounding the socket, when the hood is opened?

If the light will not go off, (with the lights on, and you have to push the plunger on the hood activated switch) there is a short to ground in the wire from the light socket to the hood switch.

Yes you are correct. The little light only comes on when your lights are on and the hood open. I have a functioning factory one in my 520. 

I found all these in Datsun/Nissan 720s, and I think I seen one in a full sized Ford also

DSCN5426.JPG

DSCN5427.JPG

It does have a badge on the glass

DSCN5429.JPG

wayno, maybe a US thing. Have looked for one (always wanted one) of these but only seen them on Z cars.

26740-B2000 is the 521 number I have but when checking, is shows the 620 having this same part but displays the tiny light bulb like Keith's. I had the one as shown by Keith on my 521.

My '68 520 has one.  It's mounted on the driver's side tray, opposite the passenger-side fusebox.  I just assumed the prior owner, who was an avid tinkerer, had added it from a junked Z car.(the truck has cruise control, 2 vacuum gauges, had electronic ignition at one point, delay wipers, and various other add on accessories)

• Like 1