72 1200 Bucket Build in Texas

Coda

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I weld with 75/25 co2/argon. I have a Lincoln sp-175 220v mig.

Eastwood 220v, .023 75/25. Works great for automotive needs.

I'm guessing the 220v welders are the hot ticket. Mine is the Lincoln 140 (110v) unit, It glues metal together just fine. I built firework stands out of shipping containers with it and on thick metals the bead looks really nice. Seems as though I can't turn it down enough for thin stuff (only has 4 power settings instead of a 1-10 dial). I've also seen a 110 unit converted to 220...is this worth the trouble?

The lack of fine control is really the big downside to your setup, not the 110v. My friend uses an inexpensive northern tool 110v gas shielded welder, but it has the fully adjustable potentiometer setup for both wire speed and heat. He turns out some really good stuff with it though. Only advantage to 220v is that when necessary, I can burn together thick stuff.

I'm guessing the 220v welders are the hot ticket. Mine is the Lincoln 140 (110v) unit, It glues metal together just fine. I built firework stands out of shipping containers with it and on thick metals the bead looks really nice. Seems as though I can't turn it down enough for thin stuff (only has 4 power settings instead of a 1-10 dial). I've also seen a 110 unit converted to 220...is this worth the trouble?

I would say no, not worth it. Just run with what you've got. You would have a tough time welding thick metal, but 120v works great for sheet metal and other automotive stuff.

.030 is the smallest flux cored wire I've ever seen. .023 is for gas setups only...and is ideal for sheet metal.

The 220v machines produce a much more stable arc, resulting in nicer welds all things being equal. The advantage of a 110v machine is that its portable....as portable as welders get anyway. You can take it to a buddys garage or wherever, plug in and go. No dedicated outlet required.

In my case i wanted the most machine i could afford, and it didnt need to be portable. I chose a Hobart 187, 220v machine. The model has since been superceded by the 190 model, it's a great machine.

Also the Eastwood 175 (220v) comes with a spool gun, so I can weld aluminum. That was one reason I spent a little more for the 220v.

I really want a spool gun. I would love to destroy some aluminum pretending I can weld. I will get one eventually.

• Like 1

If you can get behind whatever you are welding together, you can use a heat sink to help. A 6 inch long piece of copper pipe smashed flat works great.

I forgot about this trick. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, I appreciate all the advice on the welding. I'm going to get my gas rig set up before I do any more metal-gluing so I can try the smaller wire.

No work to show, but Brown Santa came while I was out of town. I also talked my Grandfather out of a sheet metal brake. It's got 18 inches of work area, so It should do fine for floor pans.

Can't wait to get the Bead Roller set up, but it's a heavy dude....gotta buy a heavier-duty vice first.

CE86CA34-6C8A-415A-A955-2A4CE9D8402D_zps

96608404-46A5-4DC3-96BD-404773AD6E45_zps

Work is bearing down, so pics of progress are a few weeks out. I hope to have some pics of my practice beads sooner than that.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

Oh Yeah, Also scored a sweet 1972 plate for 5 bucks at the swap meet in Austin (Lone Star Roundup, pre-64 American Iron show...5K cars...crazy shit).

Cost me all of 5 bucks.

6D82F469-424C-4F95-963E-EC6DD752CD22_zps

Also picked up a hot-rod style mirror, Been futzing around with different mounting positions...not sure how I feel about it. Not doing fender-mirrors, though.

27999A5F-07B2-4060-9F76-DB57A2EB1C89_zps

Not into the fender-mounted units. Had them on my last car. The looked cool, but were useless:

39FF31BD-657E-4AB8-92A4-E413D763C3FC_zps

Pontiacs did not come with mirrors from the factory, so they were all dealer add-ons.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Barely an update, but my shit was nearing page 3...can't have that.

Picked up a steering wheel at the JY today. No clue what is supposed to fit, but it's the right size(the adapter is too big as usual, but I'm working on that). As the oic shows, my factory wheel has expired.

DACC62D0-17DE-4985-897D-03101E7CF0DB_zps

Progress is slow right now. Ugh.

• Like 1

That wheel looks new, nice find!

I'm probably on page 10 by now....

It does look better since I got after it with some steel wool.

It was buried under a ceramic swan and a box of Holley carbs. Don't think its had much use. :) 

• Like 1

Picked up a steering wheel at the JY today. No clue what is supposed to fit, but it's the right size(the adapter is too big as usual, but I'm working on that). As the oic shows, my factory wheel has expired.

FYI, the current crop of Grant adapters aren't what they used to be. Some have reported the one specifically for the 1200 tends to strip out. I had a good (vintage) one but sold it to Kerry...   :rofl:

A weld on quick release will solve that problem though...

91032859_L_16c56317.jpg

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Quick-Release-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Splined-3-4-Inch,29178.html?sku=91032859&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&catargetid=530009170000097541&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrte4BRD-oYi3y5_AhZ4BEiQAzIFxn7yEWElgTc1lOXx-VoG4Sowi2nsur4CxNcYsrbn0XL4aAtig8P8HAQ

• Like 2

FYI, the current crop of Grant adapters aren't what they used to be. Some have reported the one specifically for the 1200 tends to strip out. I had a good (vintage) one but sold it to Kerry...   :rofl:

A weld on quick release will solve that problem though...

Yeah I have heard about that. I'm really digging the quick release - very racecar.

Or, if you don't care about the horn button working, we may be able to fab something up using the stock wheel as a donor. Done that before too...

Also considered this...options are good..but that piece from speedway looks like the easy fix. 

As always -  Datsunfreak has the answers. Thanks!

that piece from speedway looks like the easy fix. 

It is. We put that shit on everything...   ^_^

You can either get one splined like that (what Tim has on his 1200), or go six-sided (what I have on my 1200)...

500x500-N9mwZ8I5p2dLuCx216856.jpg

There is also the option of pull-up ring or push button...

500x500-D3wmV48eQyx216857.jpg

• Like 2

You can either get one splined like that (what Tim has on his 1200), or go six-sided (what I have on my 1200)...

Well, to be perfectly pedantic: my 1200 is hex, my "Lotus" is splined.

• Like 3