JDM engine info...

skyshadow

If you're looking to swap for a JDM engine but aren't sure which and why, I decided to throw out some info on the most popular ones. I wont go other fitment to specific vehicles, just info about the engines themselves. 

Most Common Nissan JDM Engine Swaps
CA18DET
SR20DET
RB20DET
RB25DET
RB26DETT
All of these motors are unique in their own way. All have potential, but of course, it call comes down to, what you want, and even though we all hate it, your wallet.
CA18DET

Alrighty, ca18det 1.8L 173hp inline 4 cylinder turbo motor. The CA18 is the original motor of the S13 chassis in japan from ’88-90. This thing is pretty stout for a little 1.8L. It’s like the geek with glasses hiding a 3rd degree black belt. The internals are forged and good for well over 300hp before they need to be upgraded. It’s a pretty rev happy motor and is great for a person with mild power goals and wants a good balance. Also, it is the cheapest of the available motors and just as easy, if not easier than the SR20 swap. For all you weight watchers like myself, it is the lightest motor on the menu, even though it’s an iron block. The engine sits pretty far back in the bay and places most of the weight behind the front axles; that’s a good thing. From a handling point, it offers better weight distribution from the engine position than that of the RB motors, but were not here to talk about handling so moving on. The CA’s aren’t very common mostly due to their age. They are oldest of the motors. When swapping its going to be in your best interest to check rod and main bearings and replace if necessary. Pumps, belts, and some other accessories should also be checked and/or replaced. Another downside is the US aftermarket for the motor. Finding aftermarket parts isn’t the easiest thing in the world but they are out there. Yet in the end it will still be the cheapest swap.

SR20DET

The redtop is the most popular choice. Its the cheapest of the SR’s, 203hp (don't give me crap about that because the 205 rating is in ps and not HP) with 7psi of boost coming from a T25 turbo. Basically, these suckers are nice. The best thing about this motor is the aftermarket. Because everybody has one, there are a zillion parts for them.

Blacktop SR20det

The difference between the red top and black top is minimal. There are some minor ECU changes, cooling fins on the head (earlier red tops did not have them) and that's basically it. They are a little more pricey because they are newer. This is also a common choice for the same reasons as the redtop. Good power, aftermarket etc.

S14 SR20DET

So here we have the mid version of the SR. Some of the obvious changes at a glance are the new intake manifold, rear slanted valve cover with a hump on the front. That hump houses a variable timing system not present on the S13 SR’s. These are going to get you 220hp out of the box. Some of that power comes from a larger T28 turbo. Yea all this sounds fine and dandy but you are going get a bigger hole in your pocket as the price of these is a fair chunk more than the S13 SR’s.

S15 SR20DET

Good stuff. 250hp on tap. 6-speed tranny to make that 3500rpm @ 80mph go away. There are pretty minimal visible differences from the S14 SR. This one has another turbo improvement. A T28 ball baring, feeding that 250hp. But like always, goodness comes at a price. That fancy 6-speed isn’t as strong as the 5-speeds that came with the rest of the SR group. And big price in this case, be ready to bust out the needle and thread for this one, it will burn a hole in your pocket. The S15 SR is the least common because its the most expensive, and like the S14 SR its also harder to install than the S13 SR’s, including a drive shaft, motor mounts, more extensive wiring, etc. Yes its awesome, no you cant afford one.

RB20DET

Iron block, Inline 6 turbo, strong, reliable, and some of the best damn sounds your ears will ever hear. The RB’s have that “cool” factor. First off there are 3 RB swaps that are known to be done( I'm excluding the RB30 hybrid as it is a rare swap). OK, this motor is a common choice among RB enthusiasts. This is the exception of the list order. It is cheaper than the S13 SR20. 2.0L single turbo, pretty rev happy and again, the cheapest way to say “I have a skyline motor”. Your butt dyno should read about 210ps (what, like 207hp i guess). The problems with this and all the RB motors is that aftermarket and spare parts aren’t quite up to the SR for the US market. You can always pay out the ass for uber cool JDM stuff though. Internals here are strong can take a good beating past 300hp. Jumping into the RB realm requires a lot more know how for the DIY swappers.

RB25DET

This and the RB20 are the usual choice of people who do RB swaps. The RB25 is a 2.5L straight 6 single turbo. Its got more power than the RB20 checking in at 250ps ( again something like 246hp). Stepping up your swap skills is on the to-do list for this one. Probably have to custom fit everything to get it into anything other than a 240sx or the original car.

RB26DETT

This is the god motor. Its used in the old Skyline JGTC cars for a reason. The RB26 is basically a detuned race engine. It was actually designed for race use more than street use. It is the most capable RB motor that rolled out of the Nissan line up. Although this all sounds great, its also the most expensive. You need an RB25 transmission to use with the RB26 if you don’t want to hammer away at your trans tunnel. Installation is also the most difficult of the RB motors so you better know your shit. The swap has some very involved work: modding an RB25 oil pan or making a custom one, mounts, drive shaft, crazy wiring, clearance issues with twin turbo setup ( many people switch to single), and many other things, i have seen quite a few people who have attempted the swap and simply gave up. this swap is still the shit.

Remember these motors get bigger and more cumbersome the higher in size you go. But for reference, the KA24 is bigger then most of them. Only the RB25DET, RB26DETT and the S15 SR20DET are bigger, to my knowledge. never laid them out next to each other though. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did get the FJ20E over here but they are mega rare. I have had an FJ20ET once in an imported JDM Nissan Gazelle RS/X I found. That thing was a total weapon! A mate of mine has that motor in an 810 now. I can't recall seeing an FJ for sale in the last 5 or 6 years which is a pity. The only downside of them is they are seriously heavy.

We got heaps of SR20DETs and CA18DETs but sadly no KA24DEs at all and worse still we got no L20Bs! Imagine that! No easy Datto upgrades here :( Every now and then you find a rare imported engine. I have an L18E in the shed that came from a rotted out S110 Silvia and I used to run a KA24DE in my 510 that came from a 240SX, most probably imported by a US serviceman stationed here. I really rated the KA but it's a bit short on RPM up top. Made a great noise though... sounded like it was on side draughts!

One thing to note with CA18 twin cams... European ones are different to JDM. The JDM ones that I have seen all had 8 intake port heads with the associated manifold to run the variable intake runner set-up. Euro ones just have four big oval ports and no variable intake. Less bottom end torque but they breath better at high rpm. The non turbos motors are the same.