Introduction - Batesy with a B ... a 180B

G'day ... Howdy ... Namaste ...

Thought I better get around to saying 'hello' to the mentally-challenged people on here that purchase, rebuild and swear at Datsuns.

Okay, so here's a little about myself:

I'm a 40-something male with a good sense of humour. I like long walks on the beach ... with hot nude women.

I enjoy looking at gorgeous rear-end body curves ... on Datsun 180Bs (610s).

I like to find myself deep inside my Datsun ... but not pinned underneath it.

I live in Australia. I would ride a kangaroo to work. But I don't work. My wife supports me. She also encourages me in other ways, particularly through daily reminders that I need to find some work that doesn't involve computers.

I am actually a writer by trade. 'Tis a shit-paying trade. Possibly because I'm a shit-house writer.

I grew up with Datsuns. If it can be said that one who owns a Datsun ever grows up.

In my time I have owned a shit-box orange (gympie gold) Datsun 180b (610), a slightly less shit box green (then yellow) 2-door SSS 180b and now I currently own another shit box orange 180b 4-door.

My extended family has had several 1600s (510s). Yes, with dual 45 webers and all the bullshit that entails when they don't work.

I don't like big lumpy cams in my Dattos. They make me angry because you have to rev the prick of an engine to 4000rpm just to get away from the lights. Plus they fool you into believing you are building the fastest Datto engine on earth ... until you realise you have, in fact, built the least drivable engine on earth.

I also don't like 4-speed manuals or 3-speed automatics. I like 5-speed manuals. Sadly, I have never had a Datsun with one of these boxes.

I like electronic dizzys. Again, never had one.

If I was a Datsun ... I'd be a rough-looking 180b (610) SSS with a poor-running L18 and an auto behind it. Ie, all show and stuff all go.

Below is my Datto (yep, with home-made roof rack for a coming driving vacation!). It is a 1976 Datsun 180b (610). Colour is Gympie Gold.

It features these wonderful things:

• Fuel
  • Paint (mostly one colour)
  • Body filler in several locations (but only about half a cup-full across the entire car! Which is a miracle really.)
  • L20 (with standard pistons, new rings and properly torqued conrod bolts. Timing was inspired by Hainz's endless fucking youtube timing videos!) ;)
  • 3-speed auto
  • shitty carpet
  • an air con (that doesn't work)
  • new wiper blades
  • new ball joints, suspension, bushes etc (I also now own a broken ball joint puller made of cast metal ... actually, it's now made of two separate pieces of cast metal)
  • 14" wheels (good 195 yokohamas on the rear, shit 185 Chinese boots on the front)
  • rusty bumpers (front and rear)
  • working driving lights (sometimes)
  • front visor
  • rear blinds
  • Sheepskin seat covers
  • new registration plates
I will post more pics later. Maybe.

PART_1449199229668_2_zpspudkjwmg.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need the clearance for the roads around you, or those rims, but it could go much lower. Five speeds aren't much use in town but bring a smile just knowing you have one. BTW the 71B L series 5 speeds are the same length as your 610's 4 speed.... well they are over here. This would eliminate driveshaft shortening.

• Like 2

thats clean!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's in pretty good nick, Hainzy. Fuck all rust. Had like 6 spots. Though the bonnet looked a bit shit. It had a bit of heat under it when the last bloke did a number on the engine. She was so cooked that the head had four massive stitch welds down the side of it!!

All the body panels have cosmetic issues, ie, slight dents. But overall it's pretty tidy.

Maybe you need the clearance for the roads around you, or those rims, but it could go much lower. Five speeds aren't much use in town but bring a smile just knowing you have one. BTW the 71B L series 5 speeds are the same length as your 610's 4 speed.... well they are over here. This would eliminate driveshaft shortening.

Mike, I'd love to drop it on it's guts and throw twin 45 webers on it but I have to put my wife and two kids in it over Xmas holidays for a driving trip. Plus a back end and roof rack loaded with camping gear!

That should lower it an inch or two. Well, at least in the arse end. :)