Windshields

pope_face

Alright, I'm not sure if this topic's been covered before, but I think it's time we had a good discussion about windshields...

IIRC, most people on here have 620's. I've got a 521, so I don't know what the windshield replacement situation is for all you other guys (And gals), but for me it seems that it's not all that easy to find a replacement without buying a whole truck just to take it. The worst part of it is, there's not really anywhere to find the trucks up here. Hopefully it's different on the other side of the border, but our Datsuns are getting up in age, and with the amount of cars getting scrapped every year because they don't run or you can't find certain parts, and with the way people nowadays drive, finding any windshield will likely become a lot harder in the coming years. So, I propose we try to find a decent alternative...

Lexan. Has anyone ever used this stuff? I know it's standard equipment on racers, and I'm pretty sure motorcycles have been using it for years, but what's the likelyhood of using it as a on our cars? I did a bit of reading, and there are shops that make pre-fab windshields for certain cars, but not likely for ours. I also know that it's prone to scratches if not cared for properly, but does anyone know anything about possible coatings? Perhaps some sort of laquer? Also, anyone have any idea on the minimum thickness required to still offer a decent amount of protection? I know 1" thick lexan will stop a 44 calibre handgun round, but how about the odd insect/flying stone/slow bird/human skull? And any idea how much strain a flat sheet would take by being curved/bent before it snapped?

I'm considering having a go at getting a big sheet of lexan and fitting it to one of my trucks, but I need to know what I'm getting into first... unless someone knows a company that makes aftermarket windshields to fit 521's (even glass), or there's a lexan/lucite windshield from another car that can be made to fit (620, 510, etc.).

Questions, comments, concerns?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey im new to this but I found a place that gets new windshields from england . but they are moving there company and won't be doing any ordering for about 6 more months ...I have friend here in Ca. in the glass buiness that has the number and name I will get it to you asap they run about $300.00 plus shipping when they start shipping again. now if someone could only help me with windwing rubber for my 521.

Mike

well a lot of us in the mini truck world have the lexan rear windows, and they suck. they scratch and lok like crap after a while. if cheap enough it is a good idea. you could do the install yourself, shipping would be cheaper, and you could replace it more often.

This is kind of getting off the subject but I have a lexan windshield and hood on my Jeep. Use a product called Plexus- plastic cleaner,protectant & polish. This stuff works great in keeping it clean and it takes away scratches like you wouldn't believe. I use it on just about everything plastic like my safety glasses when they get scratched up from bieng thrown around on the garage floor. I picked it up at my local off-road shop.

You can use a heat gun to warm the plexi and an old windshield to get the curvature. Trim to size and install it.

I second the polish, work's good on my plastic windows in my soft top.

You might also look into a company called Speedglass, they offer plexi windows for jeeps and they coat them so they don't scratch. Maybe they could be convinced to offer Datto windshields :)

Redeye: Thanks for the Speedglass suggestion... the only question is, how much "persuasion" will it take?

I've got a windshield I can use as a template, and I've got a heat gun (albeit a cheap one) but I'm wondering if I could just bend a sheet to fit without heating it. If it's just a simple side-to-side bend rather than a compound curve it should work. That, and assuming I can get a sheet thin enough to bend. However, just leaving without a coating probably isn't a smart idea. The Plexus cleaner sounds good, but I don't want to have to use it after every drive. Is there some sort of laquer or clearcoat I can apply that'll prevent it from scratching too much?

Yellow: I'd take that windshield off your hands, but I'm not really anywhere near Arizona... anyone closer have one they'd be willing to part with?

I was considering tint, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't last too long, and it'd be a pain in the ass to replace... I think something like a spray-on laquer would work better. I could apply it once, and if it gets scratched I could just buff/polish it out, and reapply as necessary... I've got a few small sheets of lexan laying around, so I might stop by the shop and pick up some clear-coat in a can and see how it reacts with the lexan and how easily it scratches.

Edited by pope_face
I was considering tint, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't last too long, and it'd be a pain in the ass to replace... I think something like a spray-on laquer would work better. I could apply it once, and if it gets scratched I could just buff/polish it out, and reapply as necessary... I've got a few small sheets of lexan laying around, so I might stop by the shop and pick up some clear-coat in a can and see how it reacts with the lexan and how easily it scratches.

If you are near a small airport used by private planes, check with the pilots. There is a compound that private planes use [don't know the name] to coat their windshields and plexiglas side windows to shield against scratches. Might be what you need. BTW - you might get some grief from the federal safety folks for not having safety glass on your front windshield. Racing is one thing, public highways is another matter altogether. Good luck!

MikeRL: Thanks for bringing up the legal issues... turns out, it's prohibited here. I've got the vehicle regulations bookmarked for quick referance for the Datsun, and all windows must be safety glass... so, there goes that option.

Dan: Thanks for the links... the spray-on protector in the second link looks like it'd be effective, especially since it can be stripped off and reapplied.

Datman: Looks like that option would work best for me. Does this company make new windshields, or do they just happen to have some NOS laying around? Let me know if you have the contact info for them.

Speaking of contact information... Do we have (or can we make) a sticky with contact information for reliable companies that either have or can get parts for our trucks?

I think that the Spray Lat stuff on Aircraft Spruce is intended to protect parts during fit up and installing - I would imagine the optic quality would be unacceptable for use, kind of like driving with water distortion.

Another thing to consider is that aircraft with plastic windshields do not have windshield wipers. I don't think it would stand up to having road grit squeegeed across it on a regular basis.

I don't think it would stand up to having road grit squeegeed across it on a regular basis.

BINGO! Just look at Lexan motorcycle windscreens and helmet shields...they get all munged up. I would be changing my helmet shield every 6 months minimum. It kinda sorta works for a rear window because it ain't getting blasted by rocks, bugs, dirt, grit, and other shit.

Edited by ppeters914