headlights

brysjclue

my headlights fucking suck! what are you guys using for headlight??? i like the yellow ones but i cant find them, are they from a different car? and with the stock headlight whirring harness can i use a brighter bulb? please give me some options here before i hit something in the road that i didn't see....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

60 amps is cutting it close, add a decent stereo and your pushing it's limits with the lights, stereo and the wipers running. Hey it rains here :D

The lights themselves pull about 30 amps on lowbeam...change it to H4's and your closer to a 50 amp draw. Charging system is the first thing I would upgrade on these trucks and it only cost me $30 at pull-a-part.

your just lucky everyone was in a good mood, cause the normal response is exactly the same as what I gave. :thumbsup: to those feeling helpful...

This topic has been covered a dozen times at least so if you couldn't find it you didn't try or your retarded and won't have a datsun for very long...

wheres hainz... :D :fu:

hey guy blow me, this isn't my first time on doing something like this i did search so if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all..

if this isnt your first time, why dont you know how to do it? not trying to be an ass, but dont show up out of nowhere, have nine post and then tell people you dont know to "blow you" you will learn pretty fast that most of these guys have been here for awhile, and its not like the honda forums where there are 2034u2093402909235 other ones to go to, there is this one.....and only this one. burn this bridge and you might as well sell the datsun tomorrow. even a haynes manual wont help you, lol

You should search...you could browse, there's a great thread about 90 amp alternators in the electric forum...

...but since I'm still in a good mood :)

link to awesome 90 amp. alt thread that is now a sticky

That thread discusses a few options as far as 90 amp alt's, I'll break down the Saturn method here cause it's the one I used.

2eDeYe;19214']THe 90's Saturn alternator bolts onto the stock L alternator bracket. You'll need the zx water inlet (it's angled for clearance) and a v groove pulley' date=' any v groove pulley from a Delco alt. should work. I think I used one from an 86 monte carlo (had one laying around). I used a $2 turnbuckle from Lowes for adjustment.

Big wire to the battery and a 12v wire to the #2 terminal (I think, it might be #1 but I don't remember. If it doesn't charge put the 12v on the other terminal)

Easiest upgrade out there if you ask me. Thanks again slo :P[/quote']

Picture...

620saturnalt.jpg

That belt in the pic is one size to big, get the next size down and your good.

Plugs...Keep the alternator plugs and a good lenth of the wires from the donor. Getting the plugs will help simplify the install as there are only two wires, so you won't have to worry about what pin does what and it should be obvious which wire is ignition and which one goes to the dash light. Thanks for the pic's kansascity1.

alt002.jpg

alt004.jpg

Another thing to remember is ground...you need a good ground to take advantage of all the power your alternator puts out, no matter how many amps it put's out.

Oh, and grease your idler arm now while the alternator is out. ;)

Once again, I'd like to thank the Acadamy and a special shout out to slodat who installed one on his L without the help of the internet and proved it could be done :lol:

its really strange that the headlight threads don't come up in a seach... theres been many. I have gone over this myself too many times... hainz has also been over this, MANY MANY times.

Whatever... those amber colored lights aren't for use as regular headlights, the pattern is way wrong, people are using them for high beams mostly just cause they look cool. Most people use H4s but lots of people are switching to the bimmer ellipsoid projectors.

I still and always will (at least until something better comes along), recommend the Hella E-code H4s... best bang for your buck, not the cheapest, but you won't be throwing them in the trash... at least if you even keep the datto...

Now blow that...

its really strange that the headlight threads don't come up in a seach... theres been many. I have gone over this myself too many times... hainz has also been over this, MANY MANY times.

Whatever... those amber colored lights aren't for use as regular headlights, the pattern is way wrong, people are using them for high beams mostly just cause they look cool. Most people use H4s but lots of people are switching to the bimmer ellipsoid projectors.

I still and always will (at least until something better comes along), recommend the Hella E-code H4s... best bang for your buck, not the cheapest, but you won't be throwing them in the trash... at least if you even keep the datto...

Now blow that...

sweet deal man thanks for the info, but as for the hella E-codes is there a datto app. or just make them fit???

the beam pattern has a different cut off than the US pattern, it focuses the light in a more usable way and has a more effective cut off. Shines more of the light where you want it (out in front of you), and not into oncomming traffic.

Believe me it makes a BIG difference.

yup. i run e-codes on my 79 rabbit, 81 cabriolet, 90 jetta, 93 passat and even my 77 dodge. i love how they actually WORK instead of just globbing light out there for people to squint at trying to see at night. as soon as i can afford to i am upgrading to e-code H4s on my datto with amber inners rigged to a switch for use as they were intended. fog lights.

620saturnalt.jpg

I'll be damned if I can find that water inlet. The oh-fish-all Nissan part number is NLA, and everything else has less of an angle and doesn't have that boss where the connector screws in. Like this:

280ZXwaterinlet.jpg

If anyone knows where I can get the one in the top pic (yes, I understand they came on '79-'81 280ZX motors), lemme know please.

Edited by ppeters914