620 and Lil Hustler Rear Bumpers, Std and Optional

Cardinal Grammeter

I love that Studebaker! ^^^

Gmc/chevy made me super angry when they put a sliding roof option on the Envoy SUV and claimed it was an original idea.

Right up there with when Subaru claimed the outback was the "worlds first sport utility wagon" when there were still AMC Eagle Wagons driving around

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that tailgate protector mount? just bolts to the tailgate?

Here are some better pics of the protector

CE292B2C-3EDC-441C-8301-B8A7488A760E_zps

They did not use bolts. They are more like round top metal push clips similar to what is used on some Datsun interiors. Looks like there is a pin in the center that was driven into the center of it. I'm not ready to start taking it apart. Looks like they are on there pretty good.

EE949DE4-2552-48E1-A895-69F0233E0C3E_zps

Hummm.... the protector has mid-span rivets as if there were 3 ribs or stiffeners to attach to - the tailgate only has one in the center.

I wonder if the protector included 2 more stiffeners?  They could even be simply attached to the protector itself.

I'm spent another hours trying to find the big diameter tubular rear bumper on a project thread of a dually with the bed removed so you could see the frame and how the bumper was attached to it.

It's really tempting, but I just remember I went to buy some 16ga to replenish my stock for body work and I ended up with a piece of 14ga which I've been using on floors and rockers.

It is 4:42AM and I just realized the sheet may be big enough to do the tailgate.  So I went outside to the garage to check and YES, I have more than enough to do the panel.

This is a double win for me since I don't really need or want a big sheet of 14ga.  So I can use it on the tailgate and buy some 16ga.

It won't look OEM but I can deal with it since it is not a gross butchery job - I'll just drill holes in the tailgate ribs that would get covered up if I acquired the proper protector.  But the 14ga would be basically undentable which is a bonus.

Of course now I'm thinking how could I do something to simply make it not a flat sheet.  but that is just plain OCD!

I was thinking if I use the 14ga sheet, I could fab some "ribs" or "skids" that would stick up like the OE.  Could get really nuts and fat out of 1/4" plate.  Maybe my tailgate wouldn't be able to support its own weight?  haha

I know it is highly unlikely, but I wonder if there would be a market for the rear tube bumper and perhaps a complete kit with the front and rear and side steps.  The bumper guards are really not that effective and it is mostly Coolness Factor.