Nut Size

OK I know I'm opening myself to a lot of chatter on the topic..... but I am replacing wheel cylinders on my 620 and the new wheel cylinders do not come with a NUT. The original Datsun nut is not the same thread as the new one (Dorman) W37381

Can't find the bolt size or thread type anywhere. It's machine thread not sure if it's metric or standard thread and I think it's 1/2" bolt.

I looked through my buckets of old bolt & nuts couldn't find one to fit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some nuts for ya!!! :D

But seriously, go to the hardware store and find a bolt that threads into it, then you'll have your size.  Or get out your thread pitch gauge and find it that way.  I have one, most don't.

• Like 1

I've got a couple die and thread sets and none of the dies would thread. I checked with the pitch gauge and I think it's metric 12-28 

Taking your suggestion and heading for the Zieglers Nut & Bolt Store. Want a good hardened steel nut not the cheap box store rust to pieces in a year stuff.

I ruined one new wheel cylinder not realizing the nut was a different thread. Dorman had to save a penny not including a nut on the cylinders but they really F***ed with us by changing the thread on top of no nut.

• Like 2

K,....Well I've had the same problem. I read somewhere on here, not really sure 'cause I'm gettin old and can't remember squat!

Someone stated these trucks are sae not metric. So I went to my local parts store and he called B.S.. I bought some fine thread standard bolts, and they barely fit the threads. Now I am really confused. Did Nissan have their own thread pitch like VW's ??

I just removed my front wheel cylinders from the backing plates and lo and behold,.. a 3/4" socket fit the best! along with the bleeder stem nut,...7/16" nut. So am I nuts or the guy at the parts store???

• Like 1

fyi 3/4 is practically the same as 19mm.

520/521 should be SAE everywhere except the motor itself (and well any other parts that are shared with the cars). Threads are just standard thread pitches. Get used to identifying by sight, makes life easier.

Your lug studs/nuts are SAE...

• Like 1

Just for conversational sake,

19mm = .748"

(.75 is exact 3/4)

11mm = .4331"

(.4375 is exact 7/16)

Add the rust and road grime to a 19mm or 11mm and the SAE probably would fit better lol.

Everything I've ever heard aligns with the SAE on 521's but then Metric for all newer.

Worst vehicle I ever had for this kind of problem was my 1987 El Camino, body built in Canada so mostly metric, drivetrain and suspension built in US so mostly SAE.

• Like 1

520, and 521 trucks are SAE standard.  I believe the 620 truck switched to a metric standard.  When they left the factory.

Several metric sized wrenches will fit inch sized bolts and nuts.  5/16, and 8 MM interchange. 7/16 and 11 MM are close.  1/2 inch, and 13 MM are close, and so are 9/16 and 14 MM, 5/8 and 16 MM.  19 MM is .748 of an inch, 3/4 is .750 of an inch.

Many 521 brake parts will fit on a 620.  So will many 620 brake parts fit a 521.   Lets take a rear wheel cylinder.  A 521 rear wheel cylinder is held to the backing plate with 5/16-24 thread, and has a 3/8-24 flare nut.  A 620 wheel cylinder is held to the backing plate with a M8-1.25 thread, and has a M10-1.0 flare nut.

There is a reasonable chance that a 521 has some 620 metric parts that fit, and there is also a chance a 620 has some 521 SAE parts.

• Like 2

I took the cylinder to the bolt & nut shop. They say Metric 8-1.25 thread too.... the nut they gave me is a 19mm 1.25 thread. I still say it threads on sloppy. I can wiggle it and there is play but it does tighten up. I put it in the vice and torqued it to 35 against some washers. It seems it will work but I'm not satisfied it's the right nut for the bolt. My cousin who is a machinist said it's OK to use and that it's just not machined to a high quality. He said something about different quality standards of threads. I see in the previous post to use a M10-1.0 flare nut. OK where can I get one. What's the difference between a flare nut and a standard nut ?

• Like 1

If you have 8x1.25 and some jerky tries to thread a 5/16 bolt into it, that will make them feel sloppy, 5/16 is just a smidge smaller than 8 mm.  Or it's just the wrong bolt.  Most of the 521 stuff I've dealt with is half and half, just like mid 2000 Chevy.  A lot of the items though are standard, not metric.

• Like 2

I was thinking about just taking the same size Die/thread cutter and trying to re-cut the threads in the bolt but I didn't think there was enough metal left to make a strong enough thread. My second thought was to maybe try a different thread, not sure how that would go either. Besides I didn't think there was enough room to re-cut. So I bought another one. I'd like to fix this one if possible, hate to toss it. I also thought about cutting the bolt off, drilling out the remaining and taping out the casting and putting in a new stud bolt.... a little more work. Nice to have a spare.

• Like 1

I was thinking about just taking the same size Die/thread cutter and trying to re-cut the threads in the bolt but I didn't think there was enough metal left to make a strong enough thread. My second thought was to maybe try a different thread, not sure how that would go either. Besides I didn't think there was enough room to recut. So I bought another one. I'd like to fix this one if possible, hate to toss it. Nice to have a spare.

it looks like there is. just be very light on the pressure you put on it. 

by the way if you want the nut size ask flatcats mom. 

• Haha 1