'72 620 Daily Driver Project

SPIDERSHACKOV

I got this truck on Memorial Day weekend. After a few hours of cleaning connectors & replacing connectors I finally got it running.

I got a chance to drive it the following weekend to find there to be a bad vibration above 40mph. I looked under truck to find that the drive shaft center support bearing was bad, the rear diff pinion had lots of free play, but worst of all was that the transmission was missing about 2" of the tall stock (no seal).

So I started the tear down to find that the drive shaft would not slip off the transmission, so I cut the slip yoke in half.

I purchased a center support bushing & bearing, rebuilt the rear end, got a 4spd trans from a friend.

Installed all the parts & the vibration was gone!

Pics to come. sorry.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to resurrect this thread. I am going to bomb this with pictures and info.3W75JTn.jpg

Added disc breaks to the front after the brakes failed on me heading down my driveway and having to use the e brake to stop.

ogl8uEJ.jpg

Replace the shift boot and made a plate for a cup holder. sk4qRl9.jpg

A view of the front,(at a different house). This was taken 2017ish.WAm9YKX.jpg

• Like 3

One night heading home from work the truck lost power, could not even drive 55mph. I got off the freeway and drove back roads the rest of the way home, about 10 miles.

The next day I did a compression check. I got 175psi on all cylinders but # 3 which I got 0psi on. I then did a leak down and found that the problem was in the head on the exhaust side. After taking the head off I see why I got the readings I did.

6GocHyM.jpg

J3vej7k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

March 2019-

Teaching these boys some useful skills. Sebastian is cleaning parts before he installs them. His friend Ricky is lubing and installing main bearings. They are putting together the bottom end before going into the truck.

CYDxY2l.jpg46zQFlo.jpg

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
  • Like 1

I have been working on the induction system for about 2 years now. Here are some pictures of the process.

Having been a motorcycle technician for over 25 years, mostly with Harley-Davidson. I am putting two 40mm CV carbs from Harleys. I am also going to have electric chock on each from Buell Blast. The intake manifold is one I had laying around for the 38mm Su carbs. I have access to a CNC vertical mill so I designed up a fixture for the air cleaner cover and designed and made the air cleaner cover and all other necessary components.

LOpwPOL.jpgrOwkHaJ.jpg

UPIb8L3.jpg4bkC6LB.jpgoXJbVZp.jpgXzPtdP6.jpgcfvLcjM.jpgZo9UwbV.jpgRo8Br5a.jpgcHn5ulL.jpgG0yxpdj.jpgf2RHZPX.jpgWkbvPzS.jpg8hWl0OJ.jpg

nASxEOs.jpg

• Like 5

January 2020 -

Freshly rebuilt radiator from Oxnard Radiator. This guys is awsome, He could tell this was from a Datsun just by looking at it. Cost less than a new aluminium one and will last longer. I also had him do my heater core.

WQpSGwW.jpg

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
  • Like 2

May 2020 -

So I decided to clean the engine compartment, should have done this when I had the engine out.

tbxbySp.jpg

After cleaning I decided that I would paint it. So I removed everything off the firewall and inner fenders.

jLjUdBQ.jpg

Got everything masked up and sprayed on some primer.

jPSiG32.jpg

I decided to go with a semi gloss black. I think it looks good. Would have liked to do body color but it is a metallic.

PIWOTQd.jpg

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
added date
  • Like 2

June 2020 -

I am installing an electronic distributor, ditching the points. I am going to use a GM HEI ignitor set up. So while doing wiring I decided to remove all wires not need anymore in the engine compartment. When doing this the grommet for the firewall the wires go through was not good. I decided to install a bulkhead connector. I filled the hole in the firewall. Yes my welds suck, I am not a welder.

J8FA8lu.jpg

Drilled new holes.

LPXrmrx.jpg

Mock up fit of the new connectors.

FBlOBjK.jpg

Wires added. Also put in a relay/fuse box for a starter relay, headlamp relay, ignition relay, choke relay, and I have a spot for future fuel pump and electric fan relays.

HVd1nCt.jpg

Just need to add some conduit and mount the loom.

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
  • Like 3

July 2020 -

I never really liked the style of the Grant steering wheel that came with the truck. So one early morning when I got home from work I painted the center sections of the holes to make slots. At night looking through the window you see the chrome spokes and the black slots disappear. I found that I liked it so I cut the holes into slots. Then Painted everything. I am really happy with the outcome.

vwvsXyF.jpgirQCJBX.jpg3MOxT5Z.jpg50D92WJ.jpg

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
  • Like 4

@Lockleaf thanks. Much cheaper that buying a new steering wheel. I like it even more on the truck. 

Thanks @]2eDeYe. I usually build motorcycles so I am really enjoying this build. Need to get it on the road before the rain starts up this next season. I am tired of riding the motorcycle in the rain, it is not really that enjoyable.

@5t341tH  the connectors are from American Wire. They are a bit larger than I was wanting, but it will work for now. I have found a different bulkhead connector that has 36 terminals so I may change to that once I get into the interior for the rebuild and replace all the wire when doing the dash and get the speed hut guages.

@Farmer This is just a 16 guage sheet and a cup holder I got from O'Reilly AutoParts. It will do the job until I fabricate my center console.

Edited by SPIDERSHACKOV
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...