Steering box hitting!

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble right now regarding the steering box hitting the control arm? Every time I steer to the left it rubs against each other and it tends to make the steering to the left harder? Also since this is my first ever car without power steering is it really supposed to be difficult to fully turn the wheel? They're able to completely make a U turn without any hassle? I'm not sure if I need a new steering box or not..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble right now regarding the steering box hitting the control arm? Every time I steer to the left it rubs against each other and it tends to make the steering to the left harder?

I think something is getting lost in translation here. It's just about impossible for the steering gearbox to contact the lower control arm unless something has gone SEVERELY wrong. 

Also since this is my first ever car without power steering is it really supposed to be difficult to fully turn the wheel?

In stock form, they are not very hard to turn at all, but a good bit harder than a car with power steering. Wider tires or a smaller steering wheel will make effort higher as well. 

Can you post pictures?

What he said. 

After doing all the steering research it is possible to have a combination that is really really close and I can imagine if the crossmember and the steering box are tightened with them pulled towards each other I can see this happening. 

We need pics to verify.  What year is your car?  Is it an original column shift auto or wagon with an early X member?  

Under cars it says you have a 69, was it originally an auto?