Electric fan questions

Justin Berni

So on my 720 I've got an electric fan on the back of the radiator, and it works just fine but I was wondering if there would be any problems if I turned it around, and mounted it on the front of the radiator?

I just think it'd look cleaner in the front where you can't see it, I'm doing a wore tuck soon and want my engine bay as clean as possible.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes big problem..... your current fan is what is known as a puller fan. It pulls the air thru the radiator...... so if you were to put it in front it would be blowing the air away from the front of the truck. In theory you could reverse the polarity of the motor but then your fan blades would be pitched the wrong direction.

• Like 1

i took pullers and flipped the blades and wired in reverse they have worked fine for two years.... there dual 8"  fans ... heretics theory proved ,.... ui bench tested it to make sure i was moving the most air by this method too ...workls good .. not all fan blades can be flipped though ...

• Like 1

If the fan blades can be reversed, then go for it. Almost all universal aftermarket electric fans are made to work as push or pull fans by following the instructions these guys posted above. Flip blades and reverse polarity.

• Like 1

"Most" after market electric fans do not require blade flip, just reverse the wiring.

Ok fine. GOOD aftermarket fans allow for blade flip. Simple engineering fact, optimized fan blades aren't going to move the same amount forward as in reverse. They are biased to increase the air flow they push. And since push fans are not as efficient for cooling purposes across a radiator as a pull fan, just reversing a fan motor will count against your cooling efficiency twice.

I'm all for doing whatever works, but if it takes the same effort to do it better, why not?

• Like 2

According to sir mixalot "Dicks is a place where the cool hang out"

not true at all .... used to be ... but now it is over run by fans boys and the burgers arent what they were in the 80's but still a good time .. 

• Like 1

Ok fine. GOOD aftermarket fans allow for blade flip. Simple engineering fact, optimized fan blades aren't going to move the same amount forward as in reverse. They are biased to increase the air flow they push. And since push fans are not as efficient for cooling purposes across a radiator as a pull fan, just reversing a fan motor will count against your cooling efficiency twice.

I'm all for doing whatever works, but if it takes the same effort to do it better, why not?

not to mention putting cooling fans over the leading side of your radiator decreases its ability to cool when not on ... but i like not seeing them .... if i had a temp issue i would reconsider.... but my temp issue now is a tiored l16 and a heavy right foot to go with 388 and a 5sp... 

• Like 1