72 Skyline Yukika

earlyvws

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Wayno. I had low expectations that this was going to run. Fuses were blown no wire from the coil to dizzy (big center one) main wire to fuse block not connected, no water in rad, battery cable ends too small for american battery, unknown how old the gas is, didn't check the oil. Just put in some fuses, got a coil wire from the green truck, but way too short so we had to strap the coil up on top of the head, figured out the missing wire was why not getting power to fuse block.

Turned the key, almost started, then it just was on, but we were not sure it was actually running, then figured out it was. Then we drove it. At first real slow. Not sure what to expect, it was pleasant, but since there are no seats I slide back a little and moved my foot forward on the gas and it launched and my buddy got thrown all the way back to the rear. I have video but really its just sound Ill post it.

I am impressed with this motor. Now I want to figure out how to get gaskets and what ever I need to freshen up this motor. The tranny is different to. The starter is at the top not the bottom.

• Like 1

Well the question is where do I get stuff, like water pump, complete gasket set. I am really considering leaving it in the car period. I am extremely impressed with it. I guess my expectations where low, but it was the quickest car I've ever driven. That's not saying a lot. But my buddy has some something special turbo blah blah Mini Cooper countryman or something. It was fast and fun to drive, but I think this skyline as is could take him.

• Like 1

So this is where it went! :) Super neat and rare car, congrats!!

Looking forward to what you do with it. I personally think it would look rad uncut and slammed on some narrow 14" old school SSR's, non GTR style but that's just me ;)

Cool motor too!

On it!

Got some techno phantoms for the 510. Just got reassigned to the skyline .

Yes, that was the best experience of my life car related. That just shut down all my desires for my vws. I get how rare this car is. I'm not as versed in Datsuns as u guys. But I will earn the right to have this car. I have seen the guys that get into a scene and know nothing and break out their wallets to buy the most desirable car. It makes everyone a little annoyed. I won't be that guy. Besides I don't have that wallet.

Here is what I mean about the starter. Hopefully you can tell its orientation. If u know L series like I know u do. U will see it is at the top of the trNny instead of the bottom. Why this is important is it nixed my thought of getting a L20 to cruise for now until I finished the FJ and the real restoration of this car. AND I don't think a L20 is going to be any better then this G18.

My first thought was the G18 was going to be underpowered. On paper the G18 and L18 seemed to be comprable. Plus I figured since this was the base model skyline it probably was meant for Grandma to go around town in style. So my thought was completely blown out of the water.

Can't tell a lot from that photo other than it looks like the starter is easier to access, but we all know how that works out most the time, photos can be deceiving.

I would not start pulling good parts off that engine until you have replacement parts, you say you need a water pump, why, is it bad?

You are driving it, so that is why I ask if it is bad, don't fix it if it's not broke! :)

• Like 1

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this damned car, and I am not a car guy, I just understand what you thought when you let out the clutch that first time when you were surprised about the power of the engine.

The guy said it was a posi in the video, correct, or was I hearing things?

Get a title for it, I would not do anything to it till I had the title.

Wayno getting the process started next week for title.

So, after a lot of consideration and research, this is what I discovered and settled on.

The G18 is a Prince motor. Had next to zero info on the web that I can find. I did font a gasket for the timing chain cover. So it came with a head gasket, intake and exhaust gasket. I don't know for sure they are for a G18, but at this point assuming they are.

So I'm going to make this a little more difficult then initially thought. Plus I finally want go fast, something I've never been interested in. I am going to try to pick up a complete sr20det with tranny, ecu, harness. Use that as is in the skyline for now. Then hunt down everything I can for a fully rebuild on the G18 and keep it. I don't want to seperate any OG part to the car. If one day I sell this, the next guy will probably want it. So while I tool around in an Sr20, I will collect and get the machine work done on the FJ20. Once I tear down this car for a full resto I'll pull the SR20 and swap it into my 510.

And yes he did say posi, but that's a VW guy talking what does he know. It was his idea to put the battery where it's suppossed to go (in a vw).

This car has a solid rear axle with leaf springs. Which was a surprise to me cuz all the pics I've seen had more like 510 rear. But those were most likely all 6cyl.