1977 Nissan Patrol Ute resto-mod

Thanks! It is a 160 not a Y60, Y60 came out in 1988. It is an 83. It hails from Germany, I didn't import it. I found it in the early 2000's down in Bakersfield, California. I bought it from the 2nd owner. What I was told was that the original German owner imported it in about 1987 when he moved to the states. It was 100% original when I got it, down the the "Nissan" floor mats. 

Cheers

Sweet.  I am now really interested in 160s, I think they look badass. Did they come as both RHD and LHD? 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet.  I am now really interested in 160s, I think they look badass. Did they come as both RHD and LHD? 

Yes both RHD and LHD. Diesel and gas. SWB and LWB, 2-door hardtops (like mine) and 4-door LWBs. They also came as regular cab pickups. Additionally there is a very rare SWB high roof hard top. Then there is JDM Patrols known as "Safari's". The LWB Safari's are fairly common in a high roof but the older 160-series is getting harder to find in good condition. Then there is the 260-series which looks basically the same, introduced and mostly sold in Europe. They were manufactured in Spain. I wouldn't mess with a 260 though as they came out in 1988, same year the Y60 came out and the Y60 is a far superior truck. 160 Patrols came with the L28, P40 and SD33T diesel in turbo and non-turbo. The early ones have a 4spd and the later ones have a 5spd. Both use the same t-case. The front axle is a C200 and the rear is an H233. Unlike your G60 Patrols you can get lockers for the axles, diff gear changes and much more. Most came stock with power steering and A/C but not all. The H233 rear is drum brakes but as you can see in this thread, I upgraded the rear H233 to disc brakes. 

The 160-series Patrols are cool and well built but the Y60's are better. The G60's are the coolest of all Patrols in my opinion. But the cream of the crop is a model called the G61. It came out in 1980 as was the last of the old body style found on G60's. They were built to compete with the last of the FJ40 Cruisers. So made from 1980-84. They are pretty rare worldwide but can be found if you know where to look. What makes them the best of all Patrols to me is that they are a fusion of the G60 and the 160 Patrols. This means they have the P40 engine, 160-series 4spd trans and t-case and the 160-series C200 front axle. They came both with a C200 (light duty) rear axle as well as the H233. They were all built on a MWB chassis and from Nissan only came in soft top although can be found with aftermarket hardtops. They had drum brakes up front and no p/s but this is very easy to upgrade by bolting on the 160-series parts. You can also upgrade to the 160-series 5spd very easily. Since they use 160-series axles you can also lock them as well as re-gear for larger tires. Something you can not do to the earlier G60 Patrols like you have. In addition to this they have updated seats with the fronts being a high back bench with head rests. So due to all this I feel the G61's are the best Patrol Nissan ever made and also the most collectible. 

Oh and just FYI, all Patrols are built in the Nissan "big truck" factory. One of if not the only model of truck Nissan sells that is built there. They share axles, trans and engines with many of these big trucks and buses. In other words, Patrols are built like tanks and way overbuilt. 

Cheers

• Like 1

RMP&O,

You seem to know a shitload about patrols. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. In your opinion, which engine is superior in the 160 - P40 or SD33T?  I actually started getting into and researching patrols when I saw a scout with an SD33 at a random carshow. I thought it was super cool so I went on the internet but ultimately got infatuated with G60s. I definitely want to keep my my G60s but I'm always looking to add more stuff to the garage.

• Like 1

Waiting and waiting and waiting on my turbo injection pump to show up. Had three lined up, one fell through due to language barrier. Another got sold before I grabbed it, now just waiting for my last one to show up. Complete bottom end kit is sitting here ready to go for the rebuild, even rounded up an NOS head gasket that was not cheap! Come on IP, I am ready to go on this!! :)

On a separate note; I have been on the hunt most of this year for an LG61 to import to the US. Earlier in the year I had found a very nice one and was ready to pull the trigger and buy it but it got bought out from under me fast. That happens when you find a mint truck. Think I found another one that fits the bill for what I am after. 70,000 original miles, with the same family since new and it is a 1982. I am a very patient man but can't wait to finally get the LG61 I seek. I even have a 5spd trans for it just sitting here needing a new home. 

Cheers

RMP&O,

You seem to know a shitload about patrols. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. In your opinion, which engine is superior in the 160 - P40 or SD33T?  I actually started getting into and researching patrols when I saw a scout with an SD33 at a random carshow. I thought it was super cool so I went on the internet but ultimately got infatuated with G60s. I definitely want to keep my my G60s but I'm always looking to add more stuff to the garage.

Thanks man, I do happen to know a shit-ton about Patrols. There is a few others in N. America who know a lot but their knowledge is limited to 1962-69 trucks. My knowledge is full spectrum going beyond just 60-series Patrols. These trucks have been a passion of mine for over 20yrs now and now days I am restoring them for other people, probably the only guy who can claim that in N. America. I also have a long history with Datsuns, not directly but many buddies have had real nice 510's and my cousin is a die hard Datsunhead for the last 30 or so years. Any ways, thanks for the props. 

As far as engine, just depends what you like. Gas or diesel. The P40 is a great motor, same as in your G60's, it is the next and last gen of P-engine. Many parts actually interchange from the two engines. The P40 is much easier to get parts for though as Nissan put it in forklifts until the late 1980's. In fact most of your rebuilt P engines in G60's these days are rebuilt using P40 parts. As far as toque and hp, it is just about the same as what you have now in your Patrols. Although the carb is a much better 2-barrel over the older 1-barrels. Now the SD33T is a sweet diesel. They have some known issues just about like any engine. Heads are prone to crack if you get them hot. Cranks will bust if you overboost them. But they are all mechanical and very simple plus super reliable. Many reports in Aus of guys who have well over 500,000km's on stock SD33T's. They also respond very well to mods, like intercooling, turbo upgrades, higher pop pressure on injectors, free flowing exhaust and even custom cam grinds give great results. Just don't push them past 15psi and down around 12-13psi is safer. You also have to watch EGT's, if kept down the engine will last a lifetime. They also have a super sweet whistle when on boost. I learned all about diesels with this motor, if you are at all familiar with the SD22 you will feel right at home with an SD33T They are the same engine just the SD22 is a 4-banger not a six. Myself, if given the choice, I would take an SD33T any day over the P40. :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Very cool! I really wish more of these had made it Stateside, or at least to the North American continent. Don't tell me they'd not have sold a bunch of 'em.

I've had firsthand experience with the SD engines- my '78 International Scout II had one, and a buddy of mine has an '80 with the SD33T. I've heard guys tell about problems with cracked heads and pistons, but I've never seen it myself. My buddy used to tow a loaded trailer (about 1,000 lbs. total) and never had any trouble with it. I've heard of a few used as marine engines. If the rest of the truck is anywhere near as good as that engine it oughtta be one tough mother.

• Like 1

Here is some pictures of the cab and the rot I have to deal with. Around the gutter it is bad, like nearly rotted in half. All the bad rot is gone as I dug at it with a pick until it all just fell away! 

10670208_688366027925563_866235697345612

1723402_688366077925558_1250611931456143

1455110_688366187925547_1184833677249728

The windshield frame is also toast but that I plan to just replace with a new one. The rest of the cab is pretty good.

10671371_688366354592197_647904683231658

1920113_688366391258860_1562331526001749

Cheers

It is unfortunate how the drip channels on the Patrols seem to collect moisture and rot the roof panel. Perhaps Patrols should always be parked at a severe incline and a small drip hole should be installed at a corner.

Keith

It is unfortunate how the drip channels on the Patrols seem to collect moisture and rot the roof panel. Perhaps Patrols should always be parked at a severe incline and a small drip hole should be installed at a corner.

Keith

Ya know, it is the worst on pickups. The design of the roof is not the same as for hardtop Patrols. The utes/pick-ups seem to have much more of a problem with it. Pretty common to see rot in the exact same place on most Utes. Gutter rail is layered, top of it is sandwiching another layer under it. And inside the cab it is really boxed in and prone to trapping moisture. I will be getting into that pretty deep so it will make more sense then when I start peeling back layers and fixing the rot.  

Also, the early Patrols (up to 68) are much more prone to rot. The way the trucks were put together body wise is the reason for this. By 68 when all the body changes were made the rust/rot problems are nowhere near as bad. In fact, I think Nissan made most of the changes to help with the rot issues. If a guy has an early Patrol (say 64) next to a later Patrol (say 68/69) you can really see the differences in the body and how the later trucks are much better for rust prevention. 

Cheers

Just picked up an 2nd hand SD33T from an IH Scout this afternoon for a screaming deal. No idea on condition of motor internally but it looks great on the outside. More to the point, it has the Scout bellhousing and engine plate I have been after for some time, for a different project. It also is a factory turbo motor so possibly has the better head and should have the oil jets for pistons whereas my SD33 N/A I am a touch unsure if it has them. Also has the turbo IP which I think is the same as on the Patrols. Lot's of good parts to scavenge and now I should be able to get one really good diesel out of the two engines. 

A bonus to the whole deal, the engine is in Moab! So will be taking down my 80-series Cruiser to pick it up and have some fun wheeling the rocks while I am at it! :)

10730969_694669680628531_602112737168941

10703780_694669610628538_382653659981447

Not sure if anybody cares but my DD is an 80-series Land Cruiser with a vortec and 4L60e swapped into it. I just spent 2-days in the sand dunes with it, the truck is a lot of fun! 

10389233_4822421896372_27043723684128399

Cheers

• Like 1

Here is one for any of you guys who like rare originals. This is an upcoming resto project. Only one known to exist in N. America. Very rare worldwide. No idea how many were made on a global scale but only two others are known to exist. This Patrol spent it's life in Alaska and we believe it was sold originally in Alaska. It has been off the road since 1987. There was a few Datsun dealer up there int he 1960's and as most people know you could special order anything from Japan. I believe that is what this truck is, a special order. I plan to write Nissan Japan and see if we can find out if this is the only one in N. America as well as how many were made on a global scale. This is the only model of Patrol that has a unique body. 

1511618_4096803676370_1989434563_n.jpg?o

1939408_4096807316461_1682344200_n.jpg?o

1964935_4096807796473_2118916497_n.jpg?o

10002983_4096809396513_1961017061_n.jpg?

10150685_4096809756522_790133379_n.jpg?o

10003936_4096810356537_1060429631_n.jpg?

Anyone recognize these tail lights from another Datsun?

1966734_4096811316561_265631725_n.jpg?oh

1549202_4096811676570_191928734_n.jpg?oh

1017730_4096812476590_56244527_n.jpg?oh=

original spare tire carrier and hardware still present

10151275_4096813116606_1280211943_n.jpg?

One of the other three known to exist.

10153859_4099408581491_1348523313_n.jpg?

10153061_4099410661543_1851643891_n.jpg?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you the same person restoring the Patrol on Expedition Portal?

I love tuning old iron into something useful. You and I clearly share the same passion.

Yes that is me unless somebody else is posting old Patrols restos on ExPo! 

A bit of an update. Got tired of waiting for the IP to come in from Belgium so I bought another one from Spain. Looks real good and only 120k miles on the IP. It is in route as I type. Bought a whole bunch of stuff for the engine rebuild too, NOS Nissan parts. Also got some stuff coming to try and get a rear PTO box I have fitted to the 5spd trans. I bought the rear PTO box years ago in Colombia, it came from a FirePatrol. However, it was missing the shifter, shift fork and top cover. I bought an NOS shifter, shift fork, shift knob and few other bits for it. Top cover not available anymore so will probably have to fab my own. Billet pulleys are being turned up right now at the machinist too.

Also been buying lot's and lot's of parts for my 68 black plate Patrol and for clients trucks. Before long I will probably have just about everything in hand to rebuild the 68's trans, t-case, brakes and axles. After that all it needs is a motor rebuild. The 68's seats are being done up right now. I also got some 33" KM2 tires for the 68 and a set of Alcan lifted leaf springs. Just need some new wheels for the tires. Winter time is when I have lot's of time to work on trucks and it is going to be a busy winter! 

Cheers

• Like 2

Winter time here is my busy season too. Everybody's out using their trucks in the summer time, but as soon as it starts raining (or snowing) the shop fills up quick.

Good work you're showing. I am really impressed with the level of detail given to your work, especially the restoration.

Maybe I'll post a link here so other guys can see it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75223-1964-Nissan-Patrol-soft-top-restoration

• Like 1

Winter time here is my busy season too. Everybody's out using their trucks in the summer time, but as soon as it starts raining (or snowing) the shop fills up quick.

Good work you're showing. I am really impressed with the level of detail given to your work, especially the restoration.

Maybe I'll post a link here so other guys can see it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75223-1964-Nissan-Patrol-soft-top-restoration

I own a landscape business that shuts down in the winter. This week we are closing shop for the year! :) 

Got a couple small trips planned for the winter but otherwise I am just going to be in my shop 24/7 banging away on these trucks. 

By the way, do you have a Rover build/resto thread going at ExPo?

Cheers

No Rover thread, but I did have my '57 Rover featured in the November '06 issue of 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility.

I have a '83 Toyota 3RZ build thread going at ExPo right now. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132792-1st-Gen-Hilux-3RZ-build-thread-Stoffregen-Motorsports

• Like 2

holy re-zinc'd hardware batman!   done that before on a much smaller scale...

1714e159_bow_down.gif

Ya surprisingly, I discovered Nissan plated just about everything on the Patrol. They painted over a large majority of it though. In fact the only stuff (nuts & bolts wise) they didn't paint over is hardware that gets removed with any regularity. Such as the soft top frame hardware. I had no idea Nissan plated so much hardware on the Patrol until I started doing restos. Sand blasting stuff and the paint would come off to reveal zinc under it. So we are doing the same, one main reason being if the nut or bolt ever gets chipped it won't bleed rust. Some items Nissan didn't plate I had plated, mostly just stuff that is a wear point, like on the tire carrier. We will paint over it but once it starts wearing off the paint the item is still protected. As far as plating for detailing, like in the engine bay, just doing what Nissan did on these trucks back in the 60's. So no bling bling. 

Cheers

No Rover thread, but I did have my '57 Rover featured in the November '06 issue of 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility.

I have a '83 Toyota 3RZ build thread going at ExPo right now.

57 is one old Rover! Before I got into Patrols, I almost bought a 109. I found it up in the hills in my hometown when I was just 18yrs old. It was all original, loved it, wanted it! But it had been sitting many years and the guy wanted like $3k for it. At that time $3k was a lot of money to me and I didn't have that kind of coin. About a year later I found a 67 Patrol for $1200 and the rest is history. Had I not found that Patrol and bought the Rover instead I may not be here right now typing this. :)

Cheers

• Like 2