1977 Nissan Patrol Ute resto-mod

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been digging out all kinds of goodies from my stash. Bit of gold here, rear PTO box from a Nissan Fire Patrol. This would have likely ran the pump on the truck but it can run all kinds of things, even a hydraulic pump for on-board hydraulics like a Unimog has. I got this from Colombia, South America about 5 or 6yrs ago. It is in really good condition, doesn't even need bearings/seals. Very rare as this only came on Fire trucks. 

10544354_777074745721357_450410236609033

The shifter did not come with the PTO box. I got lucky and was able to order it from Japan with the right part #. It and the knob are NOS. 

10392541_777074822388016_674565441046690

Test fit to the back of the 160 Patrol t-case. 

11070917_777074885721343_302509324006601

10313952_777074962388002_558609611068007

These are nice and strong t-cases as you can see. Similar to a FJ60/62 split t-case. This t-case was rebuilt less than 1,000 miles ago. It looks excellent inside, not a single chip on any gears, shafts or synchro hubs/gears. I need a special main gear which can be seen top right hand corner in front of the PTO box. I have put an inquiry into Japan, it is coming up as available. If I can get it I am buying it. If not I will figure something else out as I want to now use the rear PTO box! :)

11083643_777075005721331_895717927998343

I forgot I have two front PTO boxes. So I guess I have an extra for spare parts. One of the PTO winches I have is ready to go, fully rebuilt with Masterpull synthetic rope on it. The other needs a full rebuild. I was pretty stoked when I test fit the rear PTO box and it fit perfect. I had never test fit it and was not 100% sure it was for the 160-series Patrol, it could have been for the older gen Patrol aka the G60. After some quick measurements it looks like the rear PTO shifter will be right between the seats, perfect. Anyways, at this point 99% sure I am doing front and rear PTO winches on the Ute! :)

Cheers

• Like 2

If you can believe it or not I can get the gear in the t-case that I need to run the rear PTO. NOS stock from Japan via Amayama. I can hardly believe it since the rear PTO (and related parts) only came on fire trucks. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Talk about obscure, that's a lucky break. 

Hell ya! Everything is coming together really nicely. Parts for the injection pump available, good head/crank/block on the engine. Rear PTO gear all happening. Frame is prepped, so is firewall, front and rear axle housings too. Shocks, leaf springs and fab hardware all in hand. Axles ready to rock and roll, pretty much the same for brakes. Clutch, trans & t-case, done. Ton's of NOS parts in hand, been saving them for many years. Like an NOS steering wheel. Got me a new pipe bender and notcher few months back so I can go to town fab'ing on this build. 

Getting excited. Been a long time coming. All I need is the motor back from the machine shop. Setting up motor, trans + t-case first. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Its official, you have ALL the cool stuff. :lol:

Been collecting it a long arse time man, bout 15yrs. I have traveled to Colombia and Australia, Patrols were what sparked those trips. Now I got hook ups in both countries plus a few in New Zealand too. So it certainly was not without effort (or time & money) that I acquired all this junk. And I actually have a ton less than in the past. Sold a HUGE load of Patrol parts back in 2005. Four or five trucks worth. Sold most of the rest off in 2011 with a 64 soft top truck. Just kept the extra special goodies I wanted to use in my own builds. 

:)

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nearly a 6 week wait for the injection parts to come in via Amayama. Once they shipped though, all of 5 days from Japan to me and that is snail mail! Just sent the injection pump parts off to the re-builder in Salt Lake City yesterday. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

IP, turbo and injectors fully rebuilt and sent off to my machine shop. All up it was only $1650 plus the cost of parts from Japan. Way less than expected so pretty happy about that. Getting exhaust manifold ceramic coated, painting engine blue. Hope to have the motor back in under 30 days. Friggin' diesel motors are damn expensive to play with but I like them and this sucker is going to be mean and sound super sick. 

Few other goodies showed up from Japan. OEM master vac and the gear I need for the t-case to run the rear PTO. Also got a few t-case gaskets and new 4wd light switch and back up light switch. 

Not much left to purchase to build the rolling chassis. New master cylinder and a steering box are the main items left that will cost any money. Otherwise I am about good on parts. I got a Patrol 160 series steering box here in LHD I could use in the build but it is kind of funky. Thinking I may go with an 80 or 100 series Land Cruiser steering box. Last expensive purchases will be UMP air box, custom radiator and front mount intercooler. I will deal with all that when I am building the chassis. Itching to get this shit going, come on machine shop! 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So you found the parts for your pump? Cool.

Sorry to hear aout your FJ80...

Ya, the 80 is dead but a new truck is being born from it, hopefully powered by a 6.2L L92/94. 

Pump is done and on the motor for awhile now. Oil pump turned out to be shot so I ordered up a new one from Japan. SD33T is in it's final stages, might be picking it up next week. 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you send your diesel stuff out to industrial injection out here for rebuild?

Ya I did. Pretty good service, real fair for price. Can't commit on how good of work they did yet but it looks good. My only complaint is that they tossed my old/spare parts. I wanted those parts!

Cheers

I have a turbo diesel BJ74 in the shop right now. We're doing a mild build on it with 3 link front, 4 link rear and FJ80 based axles. Ought to be cool.

I saw that pic of the FJ60/80. Is that what you're doing?

Yup 60/80 fusion is what I am doing. Got the 80 down to a rolling chassis. Wanting to buy the new motor but holding off for now, a lot of irons in my fire. Old 5.7L is going in a work truck with blown 350 tbi. Got the work truck prepped for the swap over the weekend. 

Cheers