70's Datsun 510 as a daily

hey guys, i have been looking for a daily and i went thrgouh toyotas, hondas, subarus, and then i remembered that i could get a datsun... i have always loved 510s and i wanted one for a project car, however now i am looking for one as a daily, there are a couple for sale on craigslist near me that are 4k-6k and my budget is under 7k. any way i could get a 510 for that? sedan or coupe. running, tranny needs to work, and body can can have a couple dents, just no huge spots of rust on the frame or quarter panels... thanks guys!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using a 521, I originally bought as a parts truck, as a daily driver since August 2013.

It's story is here.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

A Datsun, in my experience, can be a pretty reliable vehicle.  If kept close to stock.  Having said that, remember these vehicles came with a recommended service interval of every 3,000 miles.  Things need lubing.  Carbs need tune ups.  Valves need adjusting.  thjere is way more.  But with preventative maintenance, you can daily drive a Datsun reliably.

• Like 1

Anything will work if you fix it. It's a car... It was meant to be a daily if you took care of it. I daily drive my 69 510.

Just remember it's a 40yr old import car. It's going to need work to keep on the road. Parts, labor, money...

• Like 1

Anything will work if you fix it. It's a car... It was meant to be a daily if you took care of it. I daily drive my 69 510.

Just remember it's a 40yr old import car. It's going to need work to keep on the road. Parts, labor, money..

:thumbup:

hey guys, i have been looking for a daily and i went thrgouh toyotas, hondas, subarus, and then i remembered that i could get a datsun... i have always loved 510s and i wanted one for a project car, however now i am looking for one as a daily, there are a couple for sale on craigslist near me that are 4k-6k and my budget is under 7k. any way i could get a 510 for that? sedan or coupe. running, tranny needs to work, and body can can have a couple dents, just no huge spots of rust on the frame or quarter panels... thanks guys!

What he said, make sure your up to the task because more than often people end up selling them after a short time of ownership becasue of "not having money or time to put into the car" and just a little clarification you wont ever find a coupe for under 7k your probably talking about a 2dr sedan( yes theres a difference) where about do you stay so we can figure out whats being sold in your area is worth you buying on a budget...

I live in cumming georgia, about 40 mins north of atlanta, there is a actual bluebird being sold ( 4 door sedan) in tennessee for 6k. A 2 dr sedan being sold for 4k that needs a new radiator, cracked dash and windshield. Lots of 240z, and others. I am also looking on craigslist

all 510s are bluebirds bluebird is the Japanese name for the 510 just like the bluebird-u is the 610 and later on the 810 what your thinking of is the bluebird coupe those are jdm only and only came in right hand drive there 2 doors with a different roof line then the regular 2 door sedan 

Thought bluebirds were rhd? Its rhd, from japan.

Any pics?

As far as RHD, I know it's cool but I would not want one as a DD. It all depends on how and where you drive, but a RHD car for me would have to be more of a toy than anything. As I said, it all depends on how much you drive and where - I put about 30k miles a year on my vehicles

• Like 1

i daily my dime, but i also spend a lot of time wrenching on it. they make great dd's but dont expect it to be a drive it and forget it kind of car. its a 40 year old car that has been through who knows how many people. if you dont mind tinkering on it they are really easy to work on. parts are getting harder to find so dont expect to run up to autozone and pick up a set of brake rotors. parts are out there but getting harder to find. if you can find one for like $5000 and have a cushion for parts and upgrades i say have at it, you will love it.

• Like 1