stuck @ Arlington PnP - ignition switch

So I've been having issues with my ignition switch having to press in with the key to get it to crank. Today I stopped by the Arlington PnP and now I can't get it to crank at all. Battery is good; it's just the switch. What do I need to do so o can get back home?

By push in, I mean really push in pretty hard when I turn the key to the start position.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that issue about 2 months ago.  One other symptom was the ACC would cut in and out on bumps.  I took the switch out to replace it and found that the back of the switch (the part with the electrical prongs) was pushing its way out the back of the lock can.  So, I shoved it back in and rebent the holding tabs (which were loose) and the switch has worked fine ever since.

• Like 1

just fyi all you need is power to the positive side of your coil. so find a piece of wire long enough to go from batt + to the coil+. the car wont turn off until that wire is removed. once thats connected grab a wrench and put it across the 2 terminals on the starter. it will spark. dont be a pussy andjust go for it. this will make your starter turn. MAKE SURE ITS OUT OF GEAR! this will make your car run but not your accessories so no radio.

ps i pmed you my number in case you need help/ i work right there at the airport

Thanks for the info, guys. I probably should have specified but my username doesn't reflect my car any more - I sold my Roadster a few years ago. Roy was right, it's my 71 goon that was having the issue. I'd tried and tried but could only get it to click. After I more or less gave up fiddling with it and made the thread I tried again and it started. The wagon is here in the garage now waiting on a new switch.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

I would put my money on the switch being bad or not in all the way

I'm going to play around with it more today - after looking at the image above and the symptoms, this might very well be the case. Either way, I've got a new whole unit coming - mine is pretty worn and there is at least one broken part inside.

• Like 1

Only one....lucky....

at least one...

I'll have to take a look at a new unit to see how bad it really is. I know for sure there is 43 years or so of key shavings in there and I can't imagine that helps.

With regards to the switch, it looks like that might be the problem - I tried it on it's own and had to push in pretty hard with a screwdriver while turning to get it to crank and then it only worked once. I did have to jump my car because my battery went dead overnight (brake light switch) but it sure seems like the switch.

I'm not really seeing what Datsunaholic was referring to - my switch doesn't look like it should come apart at all. Here are a couple pics of my switch. If I use a screwdriver it's easy enough to turn the switch from lock to start, but I have to push in to get it to actually crank.

20140529_180046-1_zpse3c68207.jpg

Showing how I have to push in with the screwdriver to get it to where it will crank:

20140529_180908-1_zpsbed9984d.jpg20140529_180848-1_zps8638b389.jpg

Roy is going to let me try a 620 switch which is likely the same. That will tell me for sure whether it's that or something else.

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.