Harmonic balancer wobble?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a pipe wrench on the driveline and 2' breaker bar on the bolt. I think I got it straightened out, heated it up red hot with a torch and put it in my bench vise between 2 pieces of 1/2" plate. Looks pretty good now.

If the crank pulley is correct, it should just come off by hand.  At least, most of my well cared for Datsuns I've just yanked them off.  There have been a few annoying ones, but those have been on abused motors.  If I find a J motor in pull and save up here, I'll grab one for you.

• Like 1

I've had decent luck getting the pulleys to come off, but a few were really stuck.  Getting the 27mm bolt off was always the harder part.  Until one day I was using the breaker bar/socket when barring the engine over to adjust valves.  Finished the valves, put the rocker cover back on, started the engine... and had to retrieve the pulley from across the street and the breaker bar from under my Dad's van.  The socket and bolt, otoh, stayed right under the car.  To make matters worse, I've done it TWICE.  The second time, I heard the clang before the engine lit off so all I had to do was tighten the bolt back up.

I've used that method to loosen the crank pulley INTENTIONALLY several times since.  With the coil disconnected, of course.

Haha, thank goodness it's not just me!  I started getting used to turning my crank bolt with a 1/2" ratchet, so when I forget it and start the car, it ratchets and spins off after a few revolutions.  Doesn't work if you leave the breaker bar on though. ;)

I guess my dildo just isn't big enough, does anyone have one I could borrow? Thanks everyone for your help.

Yeah, Contact Mr Big Tanker. I'm sure he has a few.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

1969 came with j13. Every one I had wobbles. Some are craked some bent. They are silver soldered after pressing on the hub. They tend to fracture right at that merge where pressed. Even a used one should you get that lucky will probably wobble a bit. Careful when prying it off you may bend it worse