Leno Effect? Changing Times?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May not be original paint, but I don't know about that not being an original color. Factory color code 531 is some bright F'n yellow. Considered it for my car, but thought it looked a little too bright cartoony. I have no idea how this guy pulled "Datsun Sunshine Yellow" out of his ass though. 

Ooooh Honey Bee. My first high school girl friend had a Bee that same color and graphics package. Did my share of contortionist tricks in that little car. To this day I think nasty thoughts when I see one.

I didnt notice some things in the ad when I made my earlier comment. I dont know if its worth that now honestly. Are they really becoming that rare? And popularity wise it seems that old Toyotas are the in thing right now.

From the sound of the ad, the car was immaculate, short of 33k miles and the paint. Is that worth an additional $9k though? Sure sourcing parts, body work, rebuilding the motor, etc is a bitch, but... Now here's my question. If the 510 is collectable to the tune of $24 fully restored (Barrett Jackson example) will it make a difference in value if the numbers don't match. This car is an auto trans so will that hold the value down in the long run? I do know this, if the guy holds on to it long enough, he will make money.

One owner,low mileage,garaged and not molested or modified not to mention in very good condition.There are very few left like this.

But that car has been "modified" and "molested". 

If the 510 is collectable to the tune of $24 fully restored (Barrett Jackson example) will it make a difference in value if the numbers don't match. 

Technically, there are no "numbers matching" 510s. The only number you can actually match up is the engine serial number. And ever since the invention of these, that is completely meaningless. You could technically match up the color number, but since you can also buy those decals blank, again it's meaningless. 

Leave the "numbers matching" bullshit to the Mopar guys.   :rofl:

• Like 2

But that car has been "modified" and "molested". 

Technically, there are no "numbers matching" 510s. The only number you can actually match up is the engine serial number. And ever since the invention of these, that is completely meaningless. You could technically match up the color number, but since you can also buy those decals blank, again it's meaningless. 

Leave the "numbers matching" bullshit to the Mopar guys.   :rofl:

You consider a paint job modified and molested ? am i missing something ?

You consider a paint job modified and molested ? 

Yes. Especially when it comes to "all original" claims. And when it's been repainted a color that isn't even close to the original color. 

am i missing something ?

Aftermarket door mirror (and not a very good one), bumper overriders missing (may not have come with them being a low option 2dr, but that doesn't explain the bolts screwed into the mount holes which the factory did not do), side vents repainted incorrectly, wrong wipers, missing a tow hook, tons of overspray on the suspension, and that's what I can see in the pics.

I honestly don't care. I hate all stock cars. But if you're going to call it all original, it should actually BE all original. 

• Like 3

I think this car is an "Honest" car. Come on guys. This car is 44 years old. It is in extremely good shape and has not been hacked up or modified. Sure they may have replaced the mirror or the wiper arms, etc. but other then the respray, it is all there. And one owner too.

If by original, it has to be original paint and not one item could have been replaced, then I doubt there are more then a handful of original 510s still out there. I know Ethan Marshal has a 5000 mile original 2 door down in North Carolina. Art's 4 door that Dan now has would be one. But most 510's are no longer factory original. My Pete Brock car has original paint and is mostly original but it has an L20B and dogleg and SU carbs so it's not original.

Was the car worth $13k? To someone it was. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 1

Why did they really paint it? I was following that 510 and like Datsunfreak I agree with all that he said. The car is bright yellow which is not a bad thing but what really spoils it for a car being repainted is popping the hood and seeing the difference in color period. It would of looked so much better popping the hood and it matching the outside being stock and all. And this is coming from a guy that lined his truck engine bay and I dont regret it, But i still will not do it again.

And whats with the black steelies was that factory? Easily fixable but hey for 12900.00 I would of bought but not 13100.00 god thats way to much.lol

If by original, it has to be original paint and not one item could have been replaced

To be considered "all original", it does indeed need original paint, but obviously consumables could be replaced. None of the things I mentioned are consumables though and should not have been changed. I'm just saying be honest in what you're selling. 

You want to replace tires or filters, great. You want to change the mirrors, and change the COLOR, that should off limits. 

I think this car is an "Honest" car. 

That may be, but the advertisement isn't as honest...   ^_^