V-Dot

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I've been meaning to sign up for the this forum for a while. I've been using it for a source of info, but never really bothered signing up.

Anyways, I'm 26 from Vancouver BC. I've owned a 74 620 for about 9 months. I got it from a little old italian guy, I probably paid a little bit too much for it. But I don't really see them for sale very often here, and when you do someone is always there to snap it up right away. This is my second Datsun, my first way a 69 510 wagon. Pretty cool little car it wasn't really in workable shape though. The truck is pretty solid, a little bit of rust in the usual spots, floor pans, rockers ect. nothing too serious though. I just installed a weber 38 on her and she runs awesome. Automatic though, I'd rather a manual. But we don't always get what we want. Auto is kinda nice in the city anyways.

mytruck3_thumb.jpg

mytruck2_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, another 620 on the left coast! Welcome, I'm on Vancouver Island, practically neighbors.

Nice dude, I grew up on the island. you probably know eric from nanaimo, with a neon green 77 he's the person who got me into the trucks. my interest started with 510s from a guy named rick dunstan. i've been a fan of lowriders for years too so I shifted my interests to the trucks cuz I get to combine the low low and the classic datsun.

I'm not going for wild custom just low clean and a few customs touches, bags would be nice too. I've seen some pics of guys on here with the c notch and four link. is that the four link setup from a pathfinder or is it all custom fab?

as for the trans I was probably going to leave it auto, it's pretty convenient for city driving, revs pretty high on the highway though.

Sure, I only know eric from NWDE : Madism_620. He's on here too now.

I've got a '78 parts truck that's an automatic. The '79s, standard or automatic came with a 4.11 rear end I think. Would fix the top end but would probably be pig slow in town.

Nice dude, I grew up on the island. you probably know eric from nanaimo, with a neon green 77 he's the person who got me into the trucks. my interest started with 510s from a guy named rick dunstan. i've been a fan of lowriders for years too so I shifted my interests to the trucks cuz I get to combine the low low and the classic datsun.

I'm not going for wild custom just low clean and a few customs touches, bags would be nice too. I've seen some pics of guys on here with the c notch and four link. is that the four link setup from a pathfinder or is it all custom fab?

as for the trans I was probably going to leave it auto, it's pretty convenient for city driving, revs pretty high on the highway though.

Welcome to the Ratsun sight :) We think alike, I also like a stockish cleanish driver, nothing to fancy, its all about function. Well except in the hight department right :D

KA-510 had a straight super clean bumper and valance if you are interested PM him.

• 2 weeks later...

V-dot, from experience if you just do a C notch it's hard to lay frame unless you run a 15 or 16 inch rim. If i had to do it over id go with a mild step notch & youd only have to trim a little of the wheel well for clearence. Also remember that the axle moves forward as it goes up so dont center the C over the axle...that happened to me & i had to re-do it,,,;)

V-dot, from experience if you just do a C notch it's hard to lay frame unless you run a 15 or 16 inch rim. If i had to do it over id go with a mild step notch & youd only have to trim a little of the wheel well for clearence. Also remember that the axle moves forward as it goes up so dont center the C over the axle...that happened to me & i had to re-do it,,,;)

so do you jack the axle up to the final position and center it off that. how did you figure where to put the C?

Also anyone seen this before? seem like a pretty good solution for the rear to me. It would save a lot of work, a little pricey though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270128642218&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

I was thinking of thinking of wire wheels too, anyone have any experiences with them? There's a set on craigslist right now in my city, they're not knock offs, it's the 6 bolt with 3 prong spinner center caps style. still pretty nice rims though and way cheaper than knock offs.

Heres my simple C notch...1st i plated the outside of the frame but you can see where the cut out will go...

12-3frame2.jpg

I ended up having to make the C twice as long going towards the front. So yeah get the axle up onto the frame & go off of that. That "kit" is nice but a bit overpriced & not really nessecary, you can make your own C or step notch from scrap steel & the nice thing is the Datsun truck frames are boxed all the way back & very strong. Wire wheels..i have Roadsters on my 94 HB & love em, but theyre hard to clean.

Heres my simple C notch...1st i plated the outside of the frame but you can see where the cut out will go...

12-3frame2.jpg

I ended up having to make the C twice as long going towards the front. So yeah get the axle up onto the frame & go off of that. That "kit" is nice but a bit overpriced & not really nessecary, you can make your own C or step notch from scrap steel & the nice thing is the Datsun truck frames are boxed all the way back & very strong. Wire wheels..i have Roadsters on my 94 HB & love em, but theyre hard to clean.

Nice chrome drums...that looks dope. I like that C-notch, super simple. How much lower did it get? any pics of the finished product? That kit is really pricey, but I'm mostly I was thinking of it saving me some man hours, hours that could be spent working and earning $800...Plus the canadian dollar is super high right now, so it's a good time time for us canucks to be buying from the states. I know that I could do it myself and I'd probably get more satisfaction knowing I did it myself. We'll see when the time comes. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress for sure. Top on my priority lits though is getting another vehicle, my truck is my daily driver right now, trouble is I'm kinda picky and always want something unusual. There's a guy in Van with a '77 toyota celica, I tried to talk him down on the price, but he just wants too much for it. So the search continues.

You own that green HB right? that thing is so nice, theres a guy down the street from me with a candy flake blue HB, Gold wires, that this is so sweet I drool everytime I see it.