Is it cool to trade graduating high school for a datsun?

Alright, I / we stand corrected. Either way its a staggering anount.

The nation's high school graduation rate is approaching 75 percent, its highest rate in 40 years, according to a new report from Education Week. Of course, that good news must be tempered with a sobering statistic -- an estimated 1 million students will fail to graduate this year, a loss of 5,500 students for every day on the academic calendar.

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or,,,,, just let them drop out and raise the minimum wage to $15hr, then all the underpaid over skilled workers can really feel like shit because some dropout is making almost as much as him working at McNastys. 

Flipping burgers $15hr

Skilled carpenter, mechanic, etc... lucky to make $20hr in todays workplace.

China owns our asses.

• Like 1

Or,,,,, just let them drop out and raise the minimum wage to $15hr, then all the underpaid over skilled workers can really feel like shit because some dropout is making almost as much as him working at McNastys.

Flipping burgers $15hr

Skilled carpenter, mechanic, etc... lucky to make $20hr in todays workplace.

China owns our asses.

Yup.

The fed should just mandate everyone get a 10% raise. Cause we need more inflation

Statistics have a tendency of telling you what you want.

First it says 25 and older so what about the 14-18 year olds who may or may not have graduated in the last 10 years.

Does it say graduated from high school?? I doubt it. Many probably had to go back or go to night school or through the military maybe even prison.

If the info is 2009 how can you be 25 in high school???

You know what this grapf tells me??? That graduating has been made easier to keep the number up that's what. People passed that shouldn't have. Fuck why not have the answers on the back of the exam?

I would not of graduated high school had my auto shop teacher no vouched for me on some extra cred. I've loved cars ever since. 

Some of the absolute dumbest humans I have ever meet graduated from Cal Berkeley.

Kids have there own agenda these days and can actually go farther in life without college ( I think )

but High School is kinda a must, it's not like the kid is being spoiled.

Kool Uncle

To each according to their ability. Never liked high school, didn't want to be there. If it isn't in you, why take up space someone else could use? Never wanted to be anything and only one other time in my life ever worked at a job over 5 years. Jack of all trades... master on none. Drove truck, worked on the line at GM, ran a pesticide packaging plant (manager) ran a printing press, loading dock, plastic injection molding machine, worked for Honeywell Controls. My last job started over 20 years ago when I was 43 so I guess either I'm a late bloomer or I just found something I like doing. Happiness and satisfaction is all relative.

If you know what you want to do fine, if you don't, find something. If you can't, prepare for 'it' by learning all you can about everything. Try lots of different jobs. Might take 20 months or 20 years. Happiness is doing what you like doing. It's all relative.

• Like 2

I think it's a mistake to project our experience as kids onto this kid. IF his nephew is struggling in school and this offer helps him succeed in graduating, why quibble wether it's a bribe, or an incentive? If he's troubled though, is it even realistic to expect he is skilled, or responsible enough to care for a truck?

Here is a win, win. Add the caviot that he has to learn (from you) how to maintain and take care of the truck, and if there is any issue with it, he has to tack it back to you to learn how to fix it. This helps him much more than getting a free truck for graduating, it teaches him responsibility and self confidence while learning valuable skills. More importantly it will give you and your nephew the opportunity to bond in the universal Dude spot. In the garage working on his truck.

Neither my brother ken or I did well in grade school. We had an unstable abusive home life, and we were both dealing and using drugs. I was in special ed classes dealing with ADHA and dyslexia in school, and Ken was fighting anyone who looked at him wrong and dropped out in the tenth grade. Although there was no one with any expectation for our future, it was working on my street racer Datsun 510 with an older positive figures that gave us our first feelings of confidence, and success. 

It took me five years to get clean and into college, but I've earned graduate degrees on Art and Psychology. Ken fell much harder than I did, but he rebounded to graduate from Harvard business school. I can't say it was just cars that helped me climb out of a shitty place, but it was a huge factor in my success, and I have good people like 74datsun620 to thank for that.

• Like 1