Looking for help finding the former owner of this 521 in the PNW

We have this truck, but are now the 3rd set of hands to have it in our possession without any title paperwork.  Our friend had it before us, and the guy he bought it from never transferred the paperwork when he bought it from the last legal owner. 

I am just curious if by any off chance, someone who's active on here recognizes or remembers this pickup. 

The last registered owner's name is Joshua H.  And the last time he registered it was 2006, and expired in May of 2007.  He was living in the Quilcene, WA area at the time.

We have the paperwork to send off to get it signed over, but we've done a little googling and the address that we have from the last registration doesn't come back with his name any longer. 

So, basically I'd really prefer to not have to wait 3 years to have legit ownership, and am hoping like hell that someone happens to know this dude and can get us in touch directly to get it signed over to us. 

Thanks for any useful info :)

Red1_zpsefec3c25.jpg

Red2_zps003b33b2.jpg

Red3_zps6d655cae.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rad truck. 

It looks familiar. Just not sure from where. 

It was listed for sale on here in 2009 by the first guy who never transferred the paperwork.  Might be why you recognize it.

I think that if you send the paperwork via registered mail, to the last known address on the registration (whether you know he lives there or not) and it comes back to you, that will help at the DMV to get the title. Skip told me he has done this before and gets him titles quick.

We have what we need ready, but if he doesn't reply to our certified mail (like I said, we have a suspicion he no longer lives at the address on the last registration), we have to wait 3 years before DMV will give us a title.  But, we would be able to register it until then.... But there's no way in hell we're doing any work to this until we're the titled owners.  So, we're trying to actually for sure track the guy down.

• Like 1

To be honest, we have the space to keep it parked and relatively sheltered for now, so I'm not worried about it.  I would just rather be able to do any work on it as we please than have to worry that some random dude could show up and legally stake claim on it again before we get legal paperwork on it.  And, if we did ever want or need to make space or whatever, it would just go back to the buddy who essentially gave it to us. 

I really just wanted to see if anyone might be able to make the communication with the dude a bit easier :D

Sometimes you can find someone using the WA state voter database.. If they are using a PO box it won't find them ,,or if they don't vote.. :sneaky:

If used carefully it may give you a few names of their relatives to call if it is a unique name ,,, not that i would ever use it that way,, but i have heard "other people" have done it.

http://www.soundpolitics.com/voterlookup.html

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there is a faster way of doing it. Could get a abandoned/junk vehicle certificate, then when it's road worthy have it inspected by the WSP. If you can get ahold of Skip ask him about it. I'm pretty sure he got a clean title in a couple months for a 510 I sold him. It had changed hands a bunch of times without a title and I didn't even give him a bill of sale. I'm not sure exactly how he did it but he was very familiar with the procedure and I don't think it involved anything underhanded. :) With the DMV they usually won't tell you if there is an easier way.

• Like 2

Going thru the WSP is going to get a 3 year title and she said she didn't really want that.  Plus you have to tow vehicle to inspecting station ,, and those are not easy to get a date for,, if you can get the owner to sign off in person it is much easier.. Since the Wa state DOL has downsized what used to be going downtown to a office has tiurned into jumping through hoops marathon.

I'm pretty sure there is a faster way of doing it. Could get a abandoned/junk vehicle certificate, then when it's road worthy have it inspected by the WSP. If you can get ahold of Skip ask him about it. I'm pretty sure he got a clean title in a couple months for a 510 I sold him. It had changed hands a bunch of times without a title and I didn't even give him a bill of sale. I'm not sure exactly how he did it but he was very familiar with the procedure and I don't think it involved anything underhanded. :) With the DMV they usually won't tell you if there is an easier way.

Thanks for the info Jeff.  I will try to get in touch and see if he has any helpful info for our situation.  I'm willing to work on this for at least a bit before sending off the certified mail in hopes that it's worth it to get it signed over quicker :)

Sometimes you can find someone using the WA state voter database.. If they are using a PO box it won't find them ,,or if they don't vote.. :sneaky:

If used carefully it may give you a few names of their relatives to call if it is a unique name ,,, not that i would ever use it that way,, but i have heard "other people" have done it.

http://www.soundpolitics.com/voterlookup.html

And thanks for this too.  I'll check it out

If you go the junk vehicle route you won't have to wait three years for the title but it likely will get issued a branded title like a car bought from the junk yard. Once the proceedure is done the completed junk vehicle affidavit is considered proof of ownership. Takes a little leg work but gets the job done. This may not be the best option but here is the form that the cops would fill out for you.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420549.pdf

On mine, the Vehicle Records Request, had It listed as a trade in. Like the registered owner traded it in then the title never went into anyone's name since 2008.

The company that took it in trade paid some fees to remove their name from records.(Last Year) So I hope when I go to the WSP....things get cleared up.

I'm 4-5 days into the 15 day waiting period. Also I'm in Oregon, and I believe  only WA residents have to have the vehicle brought down the the WSP for inspection.

In the mean time I went down to Oregon DMV today and got a trip permit for now.

My current wagon was a Washington car last registered in 92....so long ago it was "Out of the system" which made it easy.

Wa. DMV issued me a letter stating it was free to register in Oregon....towed it down to Oregon DMV, they did a VIN inspection then issued me a New Oregon title.

So the older the better on lost titles. :ninja:

• Like 2

We have this truck, but are now the 3rd set of hands to have it in our possession without any title paperwork.  Our friend had it before us, and the guy he bought it from never transferred the paperwork when he bought it from the last legal owner. 

I am just curious if by any off chance, someone who's active on here recognizes or remembers this pickup. 

The last registered owner's name is Joshua H.  And the last time he registered it was 2006, and expired in May of 2007.  He was living in the Quilcene, WA area at the time.

We have the paperwork to send off to get it signed over, but we've done a little googling and the address that we have from the last registration doesn't come back with his name any longer. 

So, basically I'd really prefer to not have to wait 3 years to have legit ownership, and am hoping like hell that someone happens to know this dude and can get us in touch directly to get it signed over to us. 

Thanks for any useful info :)

If you have his last name and old address there are quite a few people finding sites that will pull up the info. If you want to PM me the info you have I can see what I can dig up.

• Like 2

not sure if you have an easy registration place near you. from what i understand  these guys know how to get this stuff done. a little more money but a lot less hassle. its worth a try if you have someone near by. doesn't hurt to ask. 

we have them everywhere here, never wait in line at the dmv. you just pay a convenience fee. 

Well thank you all for your comments and suggestions.... but, the husband tried doing a little more digging again and went out on a limb and contacted a dude last night.  Between Nana's link to the voter's page, and what we had found while digging online with the provided former address on the last registration, he got this email back last night:

"Yup, that's my old truck.  The couple I sold it to, should have changed the title etc.  clearly that's not the case. 

What will you need from me?"

:frantics:   Sounds like we'll all be meeting up soon for us to pay for the notarizing needed and it will officially be ours! :devil:

• Like 5