Running temp

kevins750

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever wonder why car makers don't put numbers on their gauges?  Owners would freak out with the info. Better to dumb it down and just say... if it's in this range it's good. It's way easier to see it it's out of it's normal range that to interpret the numbers.

2014-01-26141247.jpg

The L series need to run at just below boiling.... well 180-190 F. This is where they are designed to run for best performance, mileage and efficiency. Cold engines are inefficient. If an engine is running hot, using a colder thermostat isn't fixing the problem. It seems very very sightly high but if stable, and not climbing and falling is thus well regulated by the thermostat. Seems ok to run like this but some time next spring, throw a new 185F thermostat in it for the summer season. That one may be slightly off.

Have someone 'shoot' the thermostat housing with an IR gun. If 185 F or so it's fine.

makse sure the bottom intake hose isnt collasping. I had this happen also. Idle was Ok but on hot days it would rise. Notice when I reved the motor up the hose would sqeeze down. Back in the day the Gates hoses would come with a spring inside to keep this from happening

That's why I scavenge the internal spring from any old radiator hose I replace and insert it into the replacement hose [which, given that I have an RL411, I have to cut and fit from some other hose].  And, most Gates hoses had a braid overlay and looked just right!

LIke I said you could alwasy buy a 54mm 160deg stat and see if it drops lower. If it does then I would assume the radiator is OK. and its just normal for your truck.

A stat is barely open anyway for most of the time.

I oersonally dont like over half way on my vehicles so when warm I monitor it very closely. If the motor is old and gets to hot then a old head gasket may pop.