• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on him, from even back when I was a kid is that he was not really that great of a rider, but just had way more balls than brains. I mean, a lot of those jumps, you could of duct taped a howler monkey on a bike, set it at full throttle, release and have the same outcome, a big crash. There is really no way to compare his riding skill with very many guys today, because you don't see many trying to fly a Harley. Of course, he never really claimed to be a skilled rider I don't think, just a dare devil, so maybe it's apples and oranges.

1970husky250gpsmith-r_600.jpg

Malcolm was the best of that era. Husquvarna 's. 2 stroke made in Sweden. I think Malcolm  got into building bicycles as he grew older

The Harley guys never really won much in the 60's 70's, Even though they sponsored everything. It was always Triumph and BSA. However I would ride the shit outta a shovelhead if I had one. 

I disagree. For dare devils, Evel was the best. A pioneer and legend. If it were not for him, none of the others would have been known. He made the foolishness popular, and drew the big crowds. Hell if you want to get technical, he was REMEMBERED more for his failures. But out of 75 jumps, he only had 13 crashes. And the fact that he did his jumps on a modified racing class Harley Davidson Sportster made him even cooler! Besides sponsorship, I think the choice of bike made him even more popular. You have to remember the 70's were a big "Buy American" time with the fall of Detroit.

I think perhaps it's not clear what I am talking about. Dare devils, such as Robbie or his Father cannot in any way shape or form be put into the same class of a rider as Malcolm Smith. But, as was said, that is an apples to oranges comparison.

Ya Knieval was a total legend. I don't think he did everything on Harleys though..........? 

Kenny Roberts is a true american legend as far as racing goes, however he did it all on yamaha's. 

The Japanese destroyed both the Brits and Americans by the mid 70's as far as machinery. The Americans destroyed everyone as far as riding cuz they were crazy.

There is a full version of this.

The original driver backed out in fear of being killed. Some other dude jumped in thinking he could "take it to outer space". I think he broke his back or something.

Not exactly. The driver's new sponsor wanted to see if the car would run right and because he was the sponsor he 1/4 mile'd it with absolutely no experience and totaled it almost killing himself. The car was rebuilt and the original driver jumped it. My take was that he was terrified and had delayed it as long as possible but eventually he had to make an attempt. If you notice the chute was deployed before leaving the ramp. It was said it deployed from the rough ride but if it was me I would have pulled it half way up the ramp.

Yeah that guy went on to jump a rocket Firebird off a plywood ramp near Peterborough.years later. It was a total cack-up from beginning to end. It was at the end of a local car race or something and he delayed and delayed until it was dark so they had to roller the car in a white paint so it could be seen. The sponsors were pissed off because the decals were covered up. People were leaving. Yeah he jumped the car it,  flipped it over backwards and pancaked on the roof. If there was a roll bar inside (doubtful) it was crushed flat and he was probably killed instantly. The ambulance couldn't get in because both lanes out were packed with those leaving. A friend saw it live and I saw it on the local station. It was totally hokey how it was set up and done.

Ya Knieval was a total legend. I don't think he did everything on Harleys though..........?

Kenny Roberts is a true american legend as far as racing goes, however he did it all on yamaha's.

The Japanese destroyed both the Brits and Americans by the mid 70's as far as machinery. The Americans destroyed everyone as far as riding cuz they were crazy.

Kenny Roberts on the Yamaha tz750 he rode at the indy mile "they don't pay me enough to ride this thing"

Then 25 years later not being on a bike at all for a couple of years he gets back on it and rides a few laps around Indy, flat out, he is one of the greatest ever

• Like 1

So I was going to put music to a nice drive I took today with the Maxima up to mom and dads.  But Corel Video Studio was all pissy about Go Pro mp4 not being accepted.  After dicking around for an hour, I'm going to go work on something mechanical I can understand.

But I did get to have fun on the freeway with a 2000ish red Mitsushitty eclipse driven by some kid who thought he was cool.  We're all clipping along and he just has to get by so goes over two lanes and goes up the right side and then back to the left.  Granted there was a slower driver I was behind.  So I follow until that guy gets out of the way, then get into the lane next to him and drop it into 4th.  It was like passing a tube of lipstick.  IN A JET!!!  :D  Hahahah, just walked all over him.  Actually kind of surprised, the Maxima isn't that fast.  He was trying, but yeah, nothing.  Hehe.  Front drive fail!  And it made it all that much better because the Maxima looks so ugly.

• Like 2