Sr20 won't fit... So many attempts so many fails..

How did some of you go about putting your sr20 in your 510? My level on my hoist is on the front and back of the engine and the chains hit. I tried putting the engine and tranny in together, and the bell housing got caught on the steering link. Then I said ok maybe I'll try it separate. I test for the engine and it fit. Then I tried to do place the tranny but the splined rod that you line up wouldn't go into the clutch. Ok fuck! So now I'm trying to take the crossmember out, bolting it to the block and raise it up to bolt the crossmember in. Still struggling. It's tighter than a virgin in that engine bay. I seem to be hitting the firewall and my flipped crossmember was on a jig so it didn't screw make it crooked or moved back too far. Any ideas before I get super angry? Ha help is appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 mounts are almost the exact same size as the 510. I've held them next to each other. Easiest way for me to get my engine in was to put the car on jack stands. Then jack up the transmission so it was level in the trans tunnel. Then I starting hoisting the engine up inside the engine bay. When everything was lined up I started slowly tightening the bolts on the trans crossmember and engine crossmember until it was all the way in. Hopefully that helps. 

I put the chains on the sides of my motor though, not front and back. 

I put mine in from the bottom.  I had the engine and trans bolted to the crossmembers on a furniture dolly and just rolled them right under the hoisted 510.  Slowly lowered the body over the engine and bolted everything up.  For me, this was the easiest way to git-er-dun by myself.

P1020326.jpg

• Like 4

I put mine in from the bottom.  I had the engine and trans bolted to the crossmembers on a furniture dolly and just rolled them right under the hoisted 510.  Slowly lowered the body over the engine and bolted everything up.  For me, this was the easiest way to git-er-dun by myself.

P1020326.jpg

I did it the same way.its the easiest way

It should drop right in, when I did my 510 back ago I raised the rear up a bit. You said its hitting the firewall, I had tons of room in the back. I would take off the steering link and try again. If you can put it in were it should sit and see whats making it not fit right. I used the 620 mounts and took the motor out a good 7-8 times with ease.

It can all go in together with out much Hassel in my experiencees. The front of the car has to be on jack stands and the assembly has to rotate as it goes in (lifting the back in the tans and lowering the front of the engine) and it should just slip right in