Another goon for izzo jr.

Janksun

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockauto shows the same part numbers from L16 to L18

I can get the rod bearings......not the mains...........from my supplier anyways.......

..............Japanese parts 80% of the time too.....

......I can get mains for L20s.....

Decided I had enough of my muffler dragging. So I pulled it off to put a straight section in and raise it up a little bit. Ended up just doing a side exit straight pipe. Loud as fuck. I want a muffler lol.

Here's the old muffler

IMAG0866_zpsddhmvkpy.jpg

Playing around with ideas lol

IMAG0864_zpssyyb8qny.jpg

No pics of the final product. It was dark and I have a shitty camera.

• 2 months later...

Time for an update. This has been my DD this whole time. It's been pretty rad.

My last update I was working on the exhaust. I just side piped it for now until I can afford to get new exhaust all the way out the back. The neighbors are complaining about my loud car lol.

Instead of shortening my wagon driveline to fit with my longtail 5 speed I got a driveline from a sedan and put it in. It's just a tad short but I've seen and read people using them with no issues. Well I had an issue. the front u-joint started to go bad and I didn't have any time to fix it so I just kept driving it. Well it broke. Luckily I had just got off the freeway. Well when it hit the ground and bounced around the eyelet where the ujoint sits in got busted. Like so.

IMG_105170345057303_zpsixl4gywy.jpeg

So I had to source a driveshaft at midnight just so I could get to work the next morning. Found one and got done putting it in at 1am.

IMG_99236353915761_zpsrjyfadvv.jpeg

So I've determined that the driveshaft is too short for the wagon and it needs to be lengthened in order for it to work. I put in another sedan driveshaft and I'm getting the same issue. Front u joint is going bad. It works for a decent amount of time but will break eventually. And I was told I got lucky I didn't snap the tail housing of the tranny off.

Anyways I got tired of looking at what looked like a grandma wagon so I changed some things up. I painted the wheels a cream color.

IMAG0907_zpsmcoyocrp.jpg

IMAG0930_zpsxtagohip.jpg

Then I decided to paint the roof the same color

IMAG0935_zpsgxwcmdvu.jpg

Then I had a buddy paint a sun and a cypress tree on the roof in some acrylic paint

IMAG0940_zpsffjxau8g.jpg

IMAG0941_zpsc0fitkne.jpg

IMAG0942_zpsaqar8frh.jpg

That came out looking pretty good.

I went to a Sacramento datsun meet and had a tire blow out on the way there so I decided it was time for some new wheels and tires

IMAG0974_zps1ybbyrno.jpg

IMAG0976_zpsg0kaeovs.jpg

Looks pretty good IMO. But the sidewall is shorter than my last set so now I'm lower to the ground. So everything is scraping now lol. And I've already gotten stuck in an alley by my house. But it's fun! Looks good! Still runs good! I'm just driving the shit out of it.

Next thing to be done is full exhaust because it's the thing that hangs the lowest and hits everything. Can't wait to get that done!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to putting exhaust on the car. Me and a friend decided to do it up ourselves and it actually came out alot better than i thought it would! Sounds ok. Just a cheap orielly muffler for now.

Thanksgiving day i check all my fluids cuz i was going to drive the car up to my moms house. Look in the radiator and fuhhhkkkkk it looked like a chocolate shake. I flushed the radiator and drove it anyways. Didnt overheat and it ran fine. But it bugged me. I didnt want to tear into this motor so i decided to look for a replacement. Found a reasonably priced running L20b on good ole craigslist still in a truck in rancho cordova. Drove up there with konig209 and pulled the motor. Also on the way home bought a rebuilt U67 head from a craigslist ad for $50. No cam or cam towers or rockers.

IMAG0987_zpsbswb748t.jpg

It was a little dirty from sitting a while. I spent quite some time cleaning it up and cleaning the missing pieces i had pulled off my old head.

Sunday morning comes around and its pouring rain. I dont have a garage or a driveway. But i need to get the swap done so i could drive to work monday morning since this is my only car. So it looked like i was going to to the swap in the rain. In the middle of a mud puddle of a sideyard as well.

IMAG0991_zpsj4dqnnsi.jpg

I had some issues with the mounts. The ones from the L16 were supposed to fit but they didnt line up correctly. I ended up using one mount from the truck and one from the 510. Still doesnt line up quite how i want but it will work for now. I swapped the new head on real quick started bolting everything up but at 10pm sunday night i was exhausted and quickly realized that it was going to happen. I gave up for the night and called a buddy for a ride to work and back Monday.

Got home monday afternoon and started working on it again. Got it all back together and it fired up within the first couple of cranks. It runs a little rough because the carb is jetted for an L16 and not an L20b. I adjusted the clutch let it warm up and drove it around. Decided it was good to go to work tuesday morning.

Drove it to work and it was doing just fine. I was driving it home when i noticed a little wobble and sure enough a few minutes later the tailshaft of my transmission snapped off and scattered the rear casing all over the freeway.

9B7001D6-0E6B-4591-958D-6457E9675604_zps

CCA6B3C1-DA88-4750-9024-4B75DB9443F6_zps

This happened at about 80mph on the freeway so you could say i just about shit my pants. I slowed quickly to pull over on the shoulder. When i got on the shoulder the road dipped and pulled my car to the left, i was in the fast lane, and for some reason theres a curb at the edge of the shoulder and my car went right over it and straddled it for about 50ft. I pretty much shaved the entire top of it off with my crossmember. But it also ripped my drain plug out of the oilpan and drained all my oil.

650D7150-EC19-452A-8A4B-F0A02933F970_zps

So i was stranded on the side of the freeway. Nobody i know has a trailer or and tow hookups so me and a few buddies went back late at night and pulled the driveshaft off and rope towed it to my house.

5C792136-2681-42C4-B7C5-564A3B303E57_zps

6D1375DA-F2BE-4606-929B-D9D082F8BA90_zps

So now im sitting here without a car. Looking for parts to get it back on the road. Wish me luck!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Damn I really lag on this thread. So I got it all back together with another 5 speed and a correct length driveshaft. Been driving it a while now.

The L20b burned about 2 quarts of oil per tank of gas. One day I decided to do some donuts. I forgot to top off the oil before I did them. Ran the motor dry and ended up with a rod knock. But hey I was whippin em hella good. That L20b had some power over my old L16 haha.

Anyways I got the rod knock on a Tuesday night. I sourced a L16. I was able to pick it up on Friday afternoon around 3:00. I tore pretty much the entire thing down in the back of a truck, "rebuilt" it and threw it in and had it running at 3:03 am Saturday morning. I was supposed to go on a datslocos fun run on Saturday so I kicked ass and swapped out the motor as fast as I could. I ended up sleeping through my alarm and woke up pissed off cuz I was late. Anyways on to pics.

Here's what was in my oil pan

11CE4453-83F9-4CCB-AC72-319CA7F298E9_zps

CB902D34-2FE0-47FD-91EE-4597DD51ED11_zps

Tore the L16 pretty much all the way down

9F26C4B7-CA4F-4FA2-AB8C-6AC7D11554E6_zps

D39D83D7-C538-4239-AC43-50511AE88A7F_zps

Here the oil that came out of the L20b

17DEA16D-E218-4F17-9686-5F6C9F0975A4_zps

And the clutch I had to use because i couldn't get a new one in time

637D992B-1501-4B33-80C7-25E9DF5A4837_zps

And here it is stabbing it into place

D3083592-C4BE-4E7E-9898-572FE0D43DA9_zps

Also polished up my wheels

Before

BBB7BD5A-7AA5-42B1-B710-75BF1FDABF3A_zps

And after

C1330D43-2D0D-402B-9BF3-185B6F383261_zps

Cleaned it up a little bit for the datslocos monthly meet on Friday. Photo credit goes to dattokai

4D44AAC5-CB16-4BBD-8BE2-A7F109D6BB2D_zps

Also relocated the battery to the back and polished up my bay a little bit. No pics of that. And cut out a hole in my tranny tunnel for driveline clearance. Going to weld it up when I find a welder someone will loan me.

CF0F09A2-7B54-48EA-B4A1-56661A199D61_zps

The next thing I have to do is throw on my single mikuni sidedraft. Can't wait to hear that puppy!

7E2A21B0-523A-4186-B52A-A45E68E0AA45_zps

But now my rear end is whining. So bad it makes my ears ring after I park it. I want to go with an rx7 rear end but I can't afford that right now. Hopefully i can find another solution soon because I don't want my car to be down anymore as its my DD. Till next time!

• Like 3