Another goon for izzo jr.

Janksun

Well I never should have gotten rid of my first wagon. But I did. We all have those things we regret...

1969 510 wagon. My first Datsun.

d17_zpsta9p6lu1.jpg

I was itching for another wagon so me and the 510keeper made a deal and I got a wagon. It's a 1971, L16 with an auto. Maroon interior. Maroon OG paint.

004_2_zpsfctugaej.jpeg

001_2_zps4llssqsg.jpeg

002_zpsqetirx9f.jpeg

003_zpsbi4xtf3t.jpeg

Taking her home

IMAG0099_zpspxfzkcve.jpg

So when we picked it up it wasn't running because it had some head problems. A seat had dropped in the head and someone tried to fix it by pounding it back into place with a pointed tool.

IMAG0135_zpsw9wfrjuf.jpg

So I pulled the head, put a new gasket in, put the new head on, and one of the head bolts is stripped. So I pulled the head back off and realized that someone had previously stripped the head bolt and used a helicoil to fix it.

IMAG0141_zpszlt2tlcq.jpg

IMAG0142_zpsmximpuma.jpg

IMAG0143_zpsce0zxbol.jpg

So that's where I'm at right now, Idk what to do. I'm awaiting some replies on the engine thread. I may end up welding the hole and redrilling and threading.

But anyways plans for this thing are as follows

1- Get it running with the auto transmission.

2- Rock it for a little bit

3- Swap out the auto for a 5 speed, which I have everything for, including a 63A LONGtail dogleg 5 speed :D came with the car haha

4- Well moar lower of course.

5- Bare metal paint

6- Engine swap. A ways down the road, but thinking about a ka24de.

7- Do odd little tid bits here and there.

Plans are to DD this thing for a while before I do anything major, but the 5 speed must be done soon.

This will be my ride to canby this year :D

• Like 3
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So when we picked it up it wasn't running because it had some head problems. A seat had dropped in the head and someone tried to fix it by pounding it back into place with a pointed tool.

IMAG0135_zpsw9wfrjuf.jpg

This is a common method to displace metal to pinch and hold the valve seat, however it's intended that the seat be frozen or dipped in liquid nitrogen first and the head heated before the seat is installed. It should also be an interference fit. When the seat warms it expands and locks into place. This is very ghetto. A wrecker head would have been much better.

Exactly! Although I'm kinda really digging this color anf the body the way it sits...

So back to the stripped head bolt, I know a guy who is pretty good at things like that, older fella, gave him a call to see what he would suggest and he said he might have an insert that would work, so he told me to call him back tomorrow to find out. Until I get that fixed I can't do anything motorwise.

When I got the car the drivers door didn't want to open, when I got the car home the drivers door opened but the 2 rear doors didn't open. So I took apart the handles and mechanisms and cleaned and lubed all the moving parts and now all four doors work perfect :D it's always the little things.

I think I may go to wally world and see if I can't find a maroon colored rug to cut up and make a decent carpet kit. Maybe find some vinyl dye and redo my door panels as they are all faded.

Here is a random pic I took, the front of the car is super 4x4 status. I need coilovers...

IMAG0146_zpsmvnw7ecz.jpg

• Like 2

This is crazy but I'm the new owner of that wagon. Bought it from a CHP officer near Stockton. Once I figure out how to post pics I will!

Glad to hear that it's still around! Dibs if you ever decide to sell it!

Also you can upload your images to photobucket, copy and paste the img code in a thread :) I'd like to see what you've done to the car!