L16 wont start now

jalen

I have been driving my car every day. On 12/4 my car was having trouble starting in the morning. so i eventually gave up. Later that night i attempted to start it bang my muffler exploded. after that my car started and i drove it to the gas station and put a quarter tank in. Next morning it wouldn't start. and i have gone almost a week of trying to start it. I have a choked hooked up to my 32/36 weber. and gas is shooting into the carb. When i turn the key, you can hear the engine turning over. (no muffler so you can hear the bubbly noise.) and im getting spark. and have a new battery. Im stumped, and cant figure out why it wont run now. 

ohh and when i crank the motor gas will come out the tom of the carb. when the choke is on. and the motor will cough every now and then/ 

Edited by jalen
  • Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever had any running issues? Did you change anything right before the issues started?

I can being over my stock carb and slap it on, see if it gets rid of your issues. Will save you from having to buy another 32/36 to rebuild like you were planning.

This in your goon?

What ignition you running?

I'm running points

^^^ Same question.

Also last time ignition related items have been inspected carefully/serviced ?

Points or EI ?

Loose or corroded wires/connections ? (ignition related)

Brand new points were installed in August and everything was inspected while swapping motors then also. 

You blew the muffler off because it was flooded.

Gas comes out the top of the carb?  Running out or just sprayed out from backfiring?  If it's running out either the float is sunk (or frozen to the bottom of the carb) or you have too much pressure for the carb (like an electric pump).  Webers really work best with a restricted return line in my experience.

Now, if it's just spraying out when backfiring, then that's usually an ignition issue, like wobbly points, condensation in the cap, bad condensers,  or bad wires. 

• Like 3

new condenser as well ?

inside cap condition and center bushing inspection ?

Every time i replace points i replace the condenser. so yeah. And i haven't inspected the cap yet ill do that tomorrow and post pics. 

You blew the muffler off because it was flooded.

Gas comes out the top of the carb?  Running out or just sprayed out from backfiring?  If it's running out either the float is sunk (or frozen to the bottom of the carb) or you have too much pressure for the carb (like an electric pump).  Webers really work best with a restricted return line in my experience.

Now, if it's just spraying out when backfiring, then that's usually an ignition issue, like wobbly points, condensation in the cap, bad condensers,  or bad wires. 

Yeah i no i flooded it. it sprays out, very noticeable, it also shoots in to the carb. it has the stock fuel pump in it. and it sprays every-time i start it, not just when it backfires. 

Good info datsunaholic.

if it comes down to it.

Weber 32/36 floats...

I've replaced a couple , and it's fairly straightforward to do.

Make sure you set the float height before re-installing the cover.

The float bowl cover screws/bolts only need very light pressure to seal on a clean surface... don't wrench down (as I use to tend to do).

Make sure the jets are clean/clear while the bowl lid is off.

I tend to use a razor blade and a small vacuum or shop-vac (with a good filter on it) while scraping gasket surfaces to keep all that small crap outta the carb.

Yup inspect all that other small stuff first ... then bigger stuff last unless you know for sure there is directly related fuel problem (not sure myself by reading the description).

Good luck.

We're all "assholes" here ... even willing to help you at 3am ... that's a few hours away ... hehe :D

• Like 1

I just went through this. My 32/36 runs great... then one day it didn't want to start. Finally got the damn thing to start and it back fired loud enough to wake up the city. What I did first was unhook the choke. Choke was sticking so I let it sit for a while.... fired up after that. Not saying you have the same problem.... but your issues are very similar

• Like 1

hey. know check your ground on you gas pump on the gas tunk and check the gas filter and replace youre spark plug you run to rich or lean you miss up the spark plugs or sand the down and clean with cleaner and may be re check you firing order that will solve it . choke remove that dont need it good timing dint need that.  

I have a manual choke. I'll start running through the dizzy today. And checking wires and keeping you posted.

Ohh and Tristin I wouldn't wake you up at 3 am in this weather :rofl:

only thing that has change recently was adding a choke, and it ran with that..But no running issues since the swap. Are you going to be around Friday tristin? 

If set up properly it should crank once or twice and fire up with the choke on. Auto chokes somewhat adjust for the temp outside and are on more fully if colder and more lightly if not. Manual chokes can also be set more or less on but most people just pull the lever and try it. ON is ON without regard for it being really cold or just slightly cold out.

Possibly you are not used to starting with a manual choke. Try less choke. Too much can flood it. 

On my 521 I would pull the choke lever out slightly and pump the gas several times using the accelerator pump to dump raw gas into the manifold. Crank and it would fire up. Rev it a few times to keep it going and then add more choke. If it started to crap out I knew it was flooding and would back the choke off slightly.